JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We buy the gallon jugs of Rice Bran Oil at C&C; the owner of Cruise-In Diner in Hillsboro (Farmington) developed it. $10.00 per gallon; step aside avacado and olive oil...

Had a 57 Chevy burger there last night and talked to Terry and his wife for a bit. Dude is pretty damn smart.

My current preps are more to the side of getting ready to move to Central Oregon. Reducing 30 years of stuff. Rented a storage unit in Redmond and have a trailer load to take over next weekend.

Forgot about the spendiest prep so far this year. Bought a high efficiency insert for my fireplace. 12 hour burn time. Already tried and made it to 10 hour burn - coals still red. My firebox (old style heatilator with forced air) was disintegrating and the fix from a pro just made it worse (less efficient). It is considered a medium size and will heat > 2,000 square feet. Won't ever pay for itself, even if I cut all of my own wood, but will be great when the power goes out or on those snowy 20 degree days that seem to come more often lately. Definite need for a heat source if SHTF. I would never buy a house without a fireplace or alternate heat source. Also, the furry members of the family really appreciate it.

Forgot about the spendiest prep so far this year. Bought a high efficiency insert for my fireplace. 12 hour burn time. Already tried and made it to 10 hour burn - coals still red. My firebox (old style heatilator with forced air) was disintegrating and the fix from a pro just made it worse (less efficient). It is considered a medium size and will heat > 2,000 square feet. Won't ever pay for itself, even if I cut all of my own wood, but will be great when the power goes out or on those snowy 20 degree days that seem to come more often lately. Definite need for a heat source if SHTF. I would never buy a house without a fireplace or alternate heat source. Also, the furry members of the family really appreciate it.

I have a wood stove and I certainly will have one in my next house.

I think we are in for another winter like last winter - i.e., not terribly cold, but frequent and maybe heavier snow than we are used to.

Ordered 1000' of type 4 (750#) paracord.

I kind of like the Titan Survivorcord, but found that when I use it for shoe laces the copper wire sticks thru the sheath at the end because the sheath stretches. Does not feel good when it pokes into my hand. Probably ok to good for emergencies where I could pull out the wire/etc. and use that, but as general cordage it is too stiff and too expensive.

Ditto the woodstove being a good idea for preps. We live off the beaten path, so power outages happen during the cold, nasty winters. A whole house generator powers the house during and outage and a woodstove heats it regardless of the electricity situation. The fuel is very inexpensive compared to others as we harvest our own. It has worked thus far. :)

Did some odds and ends ....

• Ordered a couple more mags for the wife's Ruger LCP II. They are original Ruger mags.
  • Read some more of the IT operation disaster and recovery book. I actually, albeit years ago, wrote our company's procedure on that. Now I need to revise it from what I'm reading and due to recent events. Our data backup systems are more than fine and ditto power requirements. Other areas, though, could use an update. Everyone in our San Juan office is fine, but the facility got pretty much lunched. Fortunately, the key systems with our core data is housed here in Oregon where I am and, to a lesser extent, in Florida.
  • Received and started reading Living With Earthquakes in the Pacific Northwest: A Survivor's Guide today. I only got through the first couple chapters, but it looks to be a good one.
  • Applied a weather treatment to a silencer cover.
  • Split kindling.
:)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads