JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being Jan 1 and before my daughter returned to university with her car and GHB...
  • In the vehicles replaced any kits or GHB's with fresh batteries.
  • Charged the Baofeng radios both at home and in the vehicles.
  • Cleaned and lubricated multiple guns.
  • In my EDC (work backpack) replaced the batteries, and then took the Baofeng, AM/FM radio, and batteries, and put them into a metal tin that was given to us for Christmas treats. Everything was wrapped in paper so things didn't directly touch the tin. Faraday cage.
  • Researched a few metal tins for sale on eBay. These were for scotch/alcohol bottles. Faraday cages.

Did a Winco shop & picked up some bagged tea to put up.

Red Rose 100 ct, ~$3, Winco brand 100 ct, ~$2.

Bought a bunch on the Winco brand.

Not big hot tea drinkers, but we do enjoy iced made from the Red Rose. The Winco branded is a blend of Orange Pekoe & Pekoe cut Black Tea similar to Red Rose. Pretty decent value, and a nice backup for coffee as well.

We might buy some pressed tea blocks, as they store extremely well and supposedly get better with age.

Good idea. Also, I would vacuum seal in mason jars. That's what we do with all our dehydrated goods.

started putting together a car kit.
View attachment 326645

Not bad. Here's how I would adjust:
- Regular mil. surplus .50 ammo can. The plastic ones suck. They don't seal, not waterproof, and are weak for heavy loads (had handles break completely off).
- Canteen and cup: Not even compatible!!! Get a GI canteen cup, to go with your canteen. And while you're at it, lose the GI canteen. I got tired of the BPA taste. Nalgene's ones are awesome, and are GI canteen cup compatible (and come in different translucent colors: Forest Green and coyote - my favorite). Also, learn about cat stoves. They, and a little alcohol don't take up much space.

And, add a personal water filtration system, and/or purification tablets.

And throw my book in there:

Suburban Survival: Preparing for Socio-Economic Collapse: Joe Snuffy, James Wesley, Rawles: 9781478342038: Amazon.com: Books

Last Edited:
Good idea. Also, I would vacuum seal in mason jars. That's what we do with all our dehydrated goods.

Food savered the tea bags, with O2 absorbers & food grade silica gel dessicants.

The dessicants are primarily to get the moisture from the O2 absorbers. O2 absorber packets make a little water as part of the reaction.

Most of our mason jar dry storage is more for day-to day usage.

January, so my Bday month! Time to switch out battery's, filters, etc!
Started by emptying stored water, moving the seven gal cans out to the garage and refilling them! This is going to take a few days! :)

What does "Meh" mean?

Oxford Dictionary has the definition here. In this case I was just expressing said sentiment at the snow and ice we've been getting the last few days. It wasn't aimed at the tool, because it is pretty handy as combines at least two functions into a single, light package. :)

Last Edited:
Oxford Dictionary has the definition here. In this case I was just expressing said sentiment at the snow and ice we've been getting the last few days. It wasn't aimed at the tool, because it is pretty handy as combines at least two functions into a single, light package. :)

I have the Oxford English Dictionary as part of our bug-in kit.
I foresee nights huddled around the fireplace debating the meanings and usage of obscure words. It's how we roll here. That, and board games.

Transferred all my crap into a different bag. Integrated the trauma gear I got for Christmas into the IFAK. Tried a new old pair of boots. Had to curl my toes to get them to fit. Yeah, no thanks.

Just set my 401K contribution percentage to the max I could (85%) and still pay SSI/Medicare/insurance fees for each paycheck.

Why?

Well my employer has been making noises about laying people off this spring and did lay off people last year.

If I am going to get laid off early this year, then I want my taxable income for this year to be as small as possible (assuming I do not find another job) and I want to put the max I can into my 401K in the interim as many employers do not allow 401K contributions for 3 to 6 months after you start a new position in case I do find a new job this year.

More or less did the same thing last year for similar reasons, but then there was another reason; the market was way down so I made some profits for buying low and selling high (I later moved into bonds).

Once I max out then I can stop the contributions for the rest of the year, or if they layoff people and I still have a job, and it looks like I will keep it (which at this point I would prefer) I will cut back to a much smaller contribution that will arrive at my max limit for the year.

I am over 60 so I can pull it out at any time if I want without penalty if I need it, but I have enough in the bank at this point to live on for a couple of years so it doesn't hurt to have most of my paycheck going into the 401K. If I do get laid off, then I would get unemployment for at least 6 months if I can't find another job, and then I would have to pay tax on that, but it would be minimal.

Going to wait and see what happens. I should know by spring.

Well my employer has been making noises about laying people off this spring and did lay off people last year.

I often tell people that "stuff happens". Sometimes bad, sometimes good. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Right?

Today - before I went home sick (cold) - I found out that my employer decided to spend a major chunk of change to get us something that we have said that we should have, and that there was going to be a large project around it. Totally out of character IMO.

The short story is that for once somebody more or less listened to us (I think) and that my team will probably not only have our jobs the rest of this year but because of the size of the project, maybe until I retire in 2020 - and we will have to hire another person or two probably.

I am cautiously optimistic now, but I will stay the course with my 401K until I am sure of what is going to happen. I do know one thing, if this looks like it will takeoff I am asking for a raise.

I often tell people that "stuff happens". Sometimes bad, sometimes good. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Right?

Today - before I went home sick (cold) - I found out that my employer decided to spend a major chunk of change to get us something that we have said that we should have, and that there was going to be a large project around it. Totally out of character IMO.

The short story is that for once somebody more or less listened to us (I think) and that my team will probably not only have our jobs the rest of this year but because of the size of the project, maybe until I retire in 2020 - and we will have to hire another person or two probably.

I am cautiously optimistic now, but I will stay the course with my 401K until I am sure of what is going to happen. I do know one thing, if this looks like it will takeoff I am asking for a raise.

The Business "Train" is moving faster than some have expected; the dollar is already stronger, feds are raising rates, and corporations are looking to come back to CONUS. Those who aren't poised to jump on the "band wagon" will certainly miss it. For people in their 50's and 60's; this is the last time they may see a real good economic boom (not being just another Cash for Clunkers or Solindra).

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top