JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Merchant of Death prior to Bruen.
Huh?
Just imagine if......FFLs and other business licenses were no longer necessary for your modern arms experimental building and dealing adventures?

View: https://youtu.be/3y-D0meHrTs?si=14J0YuPcv93qayob

Could/would Bruen also apply/extend to the FFL Dealers?

Rrrrright.....no license was necessary to build a firearm back in the colonial era.

Aloha, Mark

You didn't need a license to cut somebody's hair either.

ALL this 'license to do a job' crap needs to go away.
The purpose of licensing was to regulate the quality of the work being sold/touted. Government regulation to insure the quality of medical professionals, lawyers, automobile operators, and so forth, engendering a more smoothly running society.. Eventually greedy governments/politicians started using this power to raise money rather than simply regulate an industry or profession... and we got where we are today- metastasizing massive, virulent bureaucracies on the body of society...

The purpose of licensing was to regulate the quality of the work being sold/touted. Government regulation to insure the quality of medical professionals, lawyers, automobile operators, and so forth, engendering a more smoothly running society.. Eventually greedy governments/politicians started using this power to raise money rather than simply regulate an industry or profession... and we got where we are today- metastasizing massive, virulent bureaucracies on the body of society...
My wife is a veterinarian. She has to pay a fee to the state for a license to continue to do her job. They don't ask for any credentials, references, education or anything. Simply pay a fee and you get your 'license'.

How does this "insure the quality of medical professionals, lawyers, automobile operators, and so forth, engendering a more smoothly running society.."?

Why does she need a 'license' to do her job and I don't?

It was never about quality and always about providing income to the state. Government greed isn't a new thing.

My wife is a veterinarian. She has to pay a fee to the state for a license to continue to do her job. They don't ask for any credentials, references, education or anything. Simply pay a fee and you get your 'license'.

How does this "insure the quality of medical professionals, lawyers, automobile operators, and so forth, engendering a more smoothly running society.."?

Why does she need a 'license' to do her job and I don't?

It was never about quality and always about providing income to the state. Government greed isn't a new thing.
Bull.

Government regulation has other side effects. For example, after "Muckraker" journalists exposed awful conditions at slaughterhouses, government stepped in and regulated them to "ensure a supply of safe food." What happened is that this drove small operations out of business, since the large ones could better afford to comply with the regulations (and perhaps better afford to pay bribes), leading to a concentration of the business into fewer, larger companies.

There are many other examples of regulatory side effects. Pan American World Airways was able to establish an extensive overseas aviation network between WWI and WWII. The US Government handicapped all Pan Am's competitors, and in exchange benefited from the presence of Pan Am's operations as a source of intelligence and covert operations.

It is now an established reason for government to regulate an activity, and then charge those engaging in that activity a fee to offset the cost of regulation, because it is "in the interest of the public." Why the "public" shouldn't pay for that benefit is never addressed.

Hmmm, the "public" DOES pay for the regulatory costs- via higher fees for services/goods by the service/goods dispenser. While I object to licensing to raise general fund revenues, I don't object to licensing to regulate the quality of goods and service. Obviously government often exploits the ability to regulate in order to raise general fund revenue and increase oppressive bureaucracies. THIS I object to.
There was a time when anyone could hang out a shingle and practice law or medicine, or operate an unlicensed vehicle on public roads without training or regulation. Alcohol could be manufactured by anyone with no checks on the quality of the product.. and people were poisoned. I could go on but you understand my point....

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top