JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I checked the real estate listings where the wife and I want to live. I ordered the $40 handbook to upgrade my ham license from "General" to "Amateur Extra" so I can cover all transmission bands and types of signal. I've gone to this website to get good ideas too!

Interesting to note that you can starve to death by eating rabbit's only! Rabbit starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia So you need a mix of chickens, and goaties- enough varied protein to prevent this from happening. I also plan on building a kick *** green house to be used all year around.

Interesting. I believe the Lewis & Clark Expedition had the same issue while they wintered at Fort Clatsop. Abundant elk, but too lean to sustain them.

Interesting. I believe the Lewis & Clark Expedition had the same issue while they wintered at Fort Clatsop. Abundant elk, but too lean to sustain them.

Same kinda thing happened to the Germans at Stalingrad. their " meat " product did not have enough fat in it and while they were eating, they were still starving to death

So far today I have prepped by 1)Reviewing what I need to go back into business as a locksmith- I have a former apprentice who I am willing to work for, to provide 'adult supervision' since I'm brain damaged. 2)Making a list of things to ask the Social Security Office on how much I can make as an employee vs. how much I can make as a sub-contractor or business owner. 3)Reviewed my tooling list- and because where I'm going is so technologically backwards I was able to downward estimate my tooling from $14,000 down to about $7000. 4)Reviewed said plans with former apprentice at 02:00 by email- took a long time for him to have an antacid and made the mistake of checking his email! *Laughs* 5)Started packing for the big move from the crappy ghetto to wherever we're going to move to- packed mostly books and considered throwing out those clothes I don't wear to "Good Will". 5)Trying to learn enough about natural remedies to deal with my diabetes, heart problems and other problems using natural herbs- I really need to talk to an herbalist. 6)How to replace the sodium I use for emotional stability in my brain is far more problematic- too little, it doesn't work. Too much and it's fatal. 7)Kicked around the idea of building a small still for making pure grain alcohol both for "trade bait" and medicinal purposes, especially if some kind of poppy plant opium is added. 8)Checked out the price of black powder for my Hawkins- at that price, I can take pigeon poop and turn it into black powder. If I don't the Washington state Department of Transportation will just throw away the huge piles of poop anyway. 9)Considered the possibility of whats required to grow sugar beats, and the technology to remove the sugar. I've read that some beets are 50% sugar! 9a)Are you sure Chickery plant is an approved substitute for coffee? Does it have the same amount of caffeine in it?

The last two are 100% pure selfishness: I do not function at all without my coffee. I think I can use goats milk instead of cow's but we'll have to experiment on that.

To quote from the TV show: "I think about prepping more than I do about sex" Doomsday Preppers Tips Music Video - YouTube

Oh- and I forgot that I'm learning about this "Kickstarter" thingy and see if I can get funding that way

Most people look at preppers the same way as most people watch "Duck Dynastys Uncle Si" and laughs behind his back at his antics.

Show this 8 minute, 30 second video to them: Mouse Utopia Experiment - YouTube

Meanwhile, I've decided to contact the National Institute of Mental Health (The secret of NIMH- anyone remember that movie?) and do an official FOIA request.

What? rabbit can't be my only food source? crap! now I have to grow a garden and stuff! *sigh*

You make the garden to attract the rabbits. You skin the rabbits to attract other critters like coyotes, wolves, bobcats, etc. Or you get a rabbit call and learn how to sing those "dyin' rabbit blues".

Besides gardens are easy- if you do it right, the Good Books I've purchased said a 10 by 20 plot per person if done right will feed one person per year. Cripes you can rip a 60 by 60 plot with a good rototiller in a day! Have the wife and kids plant and weed and make sure you use Heirloom seeds ONLY. This gives you food, extra seed, and some trade bait. You could do it on a full weekend and make it much larger right?

Consider yourself lucky you learned about it here, first rather than dying! ;)

Question: Mouse nibbled the corner off a bag of rice (I got the mouse with a trap that day). - Trash the whole bag?

Got my lower parts kit in from PSA, and ordered a 5.56 upper. I'll have another AR15 once that arrives, but I'm trying to decide whether to keep the spare AR, or look to swap it for an AK47 since I don't have one of those.

My 30-06 stock is in Idaho getting refinished (20 years of dragging it through the Pacific Northwet woods has worn off much of the protective coating) and the barrel is getting Cerakoted now as well. I should be good to go dragging it through the woods for another 20 years without worries about rust :)

Nothing today,, prepping for ^%$@! knee surgery tomorrow. Tore it up walking out to climb a power pole. Since I'll have nothing better to do for a few weeks, ya'll are going to get your fill of me. PS, thanks for the adult company, life's going to be a little boring around the ranch for awhile.

Question: Mouse nibbled the corner off a bag of rice (I got the mouse with a trap that day). - Trash the whole bag?

Got my lower parts kit in from PSA, and ordered a 5.56 upper. I'll have another AR15 once that arrives, but I'm trying to decide whether to keep the spare AR, or look to swap it for an AK47 since I don't have one of those.

My 30-06 stock is in Idaho getting refinished (20 years of dragging it through the Pacific Northwet woods has worn off much of the protective coating) and the barrel is getting Cerakoted now as well. I should be good to go dragging it through the woods for another 20 years without worries about rust :)

Jack, if you see one mouse there are more around!

With our grandson over for the weekend we bought two new board games. Played one and put the other in the storage room. There is a new type of Monopoly game that only takes 1/2 hr to play. It's fun too!

Nothing today,, prepping for ^%$@! knee surgery tomorrow. Tore it up walking out to climb a power pole. Since I'll have nothing better to do for a few weeks, ya'll are going to get your fill of me. PS, thanks for the adult company, life's going to be a little boring around the ranch for awhile.

Good luck. I had knee surgery three weeks ago, and am recovering slowly, but surely. My injury occurred in mid-November, at work, and I've been collecting Workers Comp since then. I just recently started back at work, half-time, on light duty.

....I think i know how you're feeling!

The mice will be back- bet on it. If you found one mouse turd, there's far more mice where they came from.

My question is; on your 30-06 what kind of finish are you having put on? Personally- and this is only an opinion- every stock finish from a factory SUCKs. I'd do the stock finish myself and either use Tounge, Danish or Lemon oil and put on several coats. Yes, it takes weeks to do it right- even months if you really want it awesome. Take the Danish- boil it, apply it, let it dry a week, 0000 sand with steel wool, do it again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,,and again,,,,,and again. Then to make it almost indestructable you find clear WOOD floor polish or (I don't know if they make this any more) CLEAR Kiwi boot polish. You'll have a finish that's water tight, should not fade, if it gets a scratch water still won't get in to warp the stock and it should last a hundred years or even 300 years. (Think "1740 Brown Bess")

The few times I've purchased a stock with "Varathane" or anything ending with the word "-ane" I strip it off and have redone it.

Good luck. I had knee surgery three weeks ago, and am recovering slowly, but surely. My injury occurred in mid-November, at work, and I've been collecting Workers Comp since then. I just recently started back at work, half-time, on light duty.

....I think i know how you're feeling!

Apprehensive as heck, the things apparently tore in three places and there's a ton of fluid and a cyst now building on the back. I do wish we had light duty buddy, I don't do well sitting around, but it's either in a bucket truck or on the pole in hooks. This stinks.
Thanks for the wish of good luck.

Well John, time to clean guns and gear. Read a book or four and post with us! hope you have an easy surgery and get well soon! Don't go all hero, take your pain meds and anti-inflammatorys! LOL!!!

Thanks Sarge. There's nothing I hate worse than laying dormant. The wife loves it though, everything's done when she gets home,, go ahead and giggle fellas I understand. I've already refinished the stock on the old M-70 and trailtraider's right on the money, take the time and do it right. Now I'm picking on the old 12 string,,,, and you guys;)
thank goodness for the 300 yard range that's shot right from the front deck, at least my eye won't die of atrophy.
You get bored, stop on by!

The mice will be back- bet on it. If you found one mouse turd, there's far more mice where they came from.

My question is; on your 30-06 what kind of finish are you having put on? Personally- and this is only an opinion- every stock finish from a factory SUCKs. I'd do the stock finish myself and either use Tounge, Danish or Lemon oil and put on several coats. Yes, it takes weeks to do it right- even months if you really want it awesome. Take the Danish- boil it, apply it, let it dry a week, 0000 sand with steel wool, do it again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,and again,,,,,and again,,,,,and again. Then to make it almost indestructable you find clear WOOD floor polish or (I don't know if they make this any more) CLEAR Kiwi boot polish. You'll have a finish that's water tight, should not fade, if it gets a scratch water still won't get in to warp the stock and it should last a hundred years or even 300 years. (Think "1740 Brown Bess")

The few times I've purchased a stock with "Varathane" or anything ending with the word "-ane" I strip it off and have redone it.

I have 3 traps set under and inside the food pantry now. If they come near, they will go for the cheese.

The rice bag he nibbled on was the only one I hadn't seperated into dry bags with the foodsaver and stuck into buckets. I've been going through the stores to ensure that my stuff is mouse-proof though!

The 30-06 is getting oil finished. I have an oldschool gunsmith buddy that lives in Idaho. I mailed the stock to him back in december and he has been working on it since. As long as I get it back by hunting season I'm all good, and he might take that long.

He does an oil finish. He lightly sands it to remove the old finish (Which was oil as well) and rubs it with denatured alcohol to bring the grain back out, then steams any dings he finds to pull the dents out (This is a brush gun, there are some dings) then once he's removed all the dings and restored the wood, he begins with the oil rub and let sit for a week process.

I'll ask what type of oil he's using.

What I did to prep: went to the range with a few buddies, tested out a bunch of gear (especially the new armor). That plate carrier is HEAVY! Probably 1.5x heavier than my IBA.

I did a bunch of modifications to my G22, changed out <broken link removed> and the <broken link removed> to lessen the trigger pull- but after I did the trigger wouldn't reset so I have to trash all that crap (there's about $30 down the drain). After I put back in all the Glock factory parts she ran like a champ again.

Galil still jammed up...had a cassing fail to extract (extractor ripped off the rim). Will try polishing the chamber a little more to see it it helps any or if I have to just take it in and re-barrel the damn thing.

I also threw a Trijicon ACOG on my WASR-10, but the cheek-to-stock is way too high to get a consistant group with, so I just ripped that back off and will continue to just fly irons.

Tested out some .308 ammo. WalMart has some new ZQ Turkish stuff and I compared it with Priv Partisan...was getting about a MOA better accuracy out of the Priv Partisan for about the same price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top