JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Apparently, the .308 (and probably is better known in the NATO caliber measurement) was used as a US sniper caliber of choice. The British sniper gun is clearly way better. I'll include the article if you want to read it. It's fairly short.
5 Sniper Rifles That Can Turn Any Solider into the Ultimate Weapon

Being a "Sniper" requires more than just a rifle...Or even being able to shoot well.

In my experience while doing this "job" while in the Army , lots of different skills are involved in doing this type of shooting...I might even argue that the "Fieldcraft" used and needed is "more important" than the shooting skills...
After all you need to get into position to shoot , in the first place and second , you need to get away after shooting...

I would also add that many "Sniper" Rifles , while excellent shooters , may make for awkward and cumbersome hunting rifles , depending on what , how and where you hunt....
Andy

I love this rifle and it comes in about every caliber imaginable! Browning-BLR-Lightweight-with-Pistol-Grip-034009-693.jpg

.308 is plenty powerful and has lots of accuracy potential. Great for deer, marginal for anything much bigger IMO.

:eek::eek::eek:

Would you say the same thing of a 30-06? muzzle energy of 2,820ft⋅lbf with 150gr pellet

.308 = 2648ft# muzzle energy with 150gr

My buddies kill lots of elk with 30-06. I've killed a number of elk with .308, and so have millions of other hunters. Although I care not what the OP uses, lets be real. I wouldn't go after one with a .223, I'd say .243 is marginal. Can't make up my mind about 30-30 for elk.

Many variables come into play when hunting game larger than deer... are we wanting 600yd kill shots, neck shots, heart/lung shots, break the shoulder shot, backbone shot? What type of larger game? Elk, moose, bear, giraffe, lion, rhino, water buffalo, elephant?

LOL! But you missed a very important key point in my selection....^^that^^ is funny, though. :s0140:

What was the key point again?o_O

I like Bushnell scopes and have owned a number of their Banner scopes. IMO they are reasonable for a moderate quality rifle, used by a brand new shooter.

Break

Guys,
Simmons scopes... remember when Tasco scopes were junk? (and no smart Alex e comments!!):)

:eek::eek::eek:

Would you say the same thing of a 30-06? muzzle energy of 2,820ft⋅lbf with 150gr pellet

.308 = 2648ft# muzzle energy with 150gr

My buddies kill lots of elk with 30-06. I've killed a number of elk with .308, and so have millions of other hunters. Although I care not what the OP uses, lets be real. I wouldn't go after one with a .223, I'd say .243 is marginal. Can't make up my mind about 30-30 for elk.

Many variables come into play when hunting game larger than deer... are we wanting 600yd kill shots, neck shots, heart/lung shots, break the shoulder shot, backbone shot? What type of larger game? Elk, moose, bear, giraffe, lion, rhino, water buffalo, elephant?

Just saying it wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated elk or bear rifle. Especially in open areas.

Just saying it wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated elk or bear rifle. Especially in open areas.

I can understand that. It REALLY wouldn't be my FIRST choice for bear. I'd want something with lots of cross-sectional density. I don't hunt bear and never will, but when I was fishing in brown bear country, I carried a short barreled 12ga with rifled barrel and slugs.

Does the OP need a magnum, a Creedmore, what? Is a brand new hunter better off with something that has the ability to reach 500yds, or something that has manageable recoil and reasonable ballistics that can be relied upon at the distances that most elk are killed, even in open country. Personally, I'd put a muzzleloader in his hands so he's not spraying the countryside or scoping other hunters.

I can understand that. It REALLY wouldn't be my FIRST choice for bear. I'd want something with lots of cross-sectional density. I don't hunt bear and never will, but when I was fishing in brown bear country, I carried a short barreled 12ga with rifled barrel and slugs.

Does the OP need a magnum, a Creedmore, what? Is a brand new hunter better off with something that has the ability to reach 500yds, or something that has manageable recoil and reasonable ballistics that can be relied upon at the distances that most elk are killed, even in open country. Personally, I'd put a muzzleloader in his hands so he's not spraying the countryside or scoping other hunters.

Yeah, I'm not rereading this entire thread, so I may have missed if the OP said what he plans on hunting, so I would assume deer would be a good place to start. I dont really love a one rifle fits all approach. I like dedicated rifles. For a deer gun for a new hunter, I would recommend a .243, like me and millions of other kids started with.

I'll tell you one thing, I had a Remington Model Seven in 308 that was a heck of a rifle for still-hunting timber for anything in WA. 1-4x scope with a bold reticle and it was light enough to carry one handed all day. Like I said earlier, if optimal expansion is achieved at 1800fps and greater, the 308 is no different at 300-350 yards than a 300 win mag is at 500 yards. Bullets kill, not headstamps.

You really have to take everything into consideration and unless you are hunting 1 species in 1 type of terrain , normal hunters have several guns to choose for the hunt...At least me and my friends do.
Are you hunting brushy , wooded areas , or open fields, plains , or rocky Mountain sides with ravines and Draws ?
Are your shots going to be 100 Yards or less or over 200 yards or more ?
Are you going to only get one shot , or might you need fast follow up shot on running game ?
These questions were what I asked Buyers to even start to determine what kind of gun they needed and then Caliber.
Caliber would then be determined by some of the above and what species was being hunted.
With all the above data , then we moved on to scope size, power, mount type and brand other than Simmons , tasco, etc...
Lastly would be the ammo selection by bullet weight to match all the above.

Yeah, I'm not rereading this entire thread, so I may have missed if the OP said what he plans on hunting, so I would assume deer would be a good place to start. I dont really love a one rifle fits all approach. I like dedicated rifles. For a deer gun for a new hunter, I would recommend a .243, like me and millions of other kids started with.

Yes, deer. Not to speak for him but he wrote that he's not sure he would ever be hunting elk.

For sure. When I owned several hunting rifles, I had a .243, a 6mmRemington, and a .280Remington for deer.

30-30 Winchester 94 or clone, or Marlin, is another caliber/rifle combo owned by so many deer hunters over the years. I kinda always liked the .444 Marlin but I don't know why. Same with 45-70.

Last Edited:
You really have to take everything into consideration and unless you are hunting 1 species in 1 type of terrain , normal hunters have several guns to choose for the hunt...At least me and my friends do.
Are you hunting brushy , wooded areas , or open fields, plains , or rocky Mountain sides with ravines and Draws ?
Are your shots going to be 100 Yards or less or over 200 yards or more ?
Are you going to only get one shot , or might you need fast follow up shot on running game ?
These questions were what I asked Buyers to even start to determine what kind of gun they needed and then Caliber.
Caliber would then be determined by some of the above and what species was being hunted.
With all the above data , then we moved on to scope size, power, mount type and brand other than Simmons , tasco, etc...
Lastly would be the ammo selection by bullet weight to match all the above.

Then start from the start and forget all extra fluff. 0 to 400, timber to open fields and canyons:

9AD6921D-FEEC-4F75-9672-8659315BE347.jpeg

700 mountain rifle (in a Mcmillan KS pattern stock), 280 Remington, Leupold 6x36 scope. I could do 100% of my hunting from antelope to moose with it.

Then start from the start and forget all extra fluff. 0 to 400, timber to open fields and canyons:

View attachment 553990

700 mountain rifle (in a Mcmillan KS pattern stock), 280 Remington, Leupold 6x36 scope. I could do 100% of my hunting from antelope to moose with it.
Too Light for Alaska Moose ,even 30/06 was marginal as I found out, 280 might be Ok for sheep, goat , and Caribou , but if you ever go hunting in Alaska make sure to take your own ammo as you won't find it in most local stores outside of the big city...Nobody shoots it up there ! It also would not qualify for Buffalo by regulation, and Most Grizzly bear guides would frown at it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top