JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Several have said, search for whatever your interested in and you'll PROBABLY find it. Yeah, right, I put in several different phrases, and nothing; yet I at least tried! Few seemed to tolerate my thread on rifle break-in, yet there was an incredible amount of participants for a thread that was so horrible! Then, a few outright asked me to stop asking questions and do more listening; PM's communicated frustration with me over duplicating information already available on the forum. Is the information on the forum search to be found in the title? No, not specifically!!! Is it buried under a minutiae of information that is nearly impossible to find? Who the hell knows? God only! I don't have the wealth of experience that some of you have, so I can only go by what I read in articles, and your responses to them. I got a darn many likes from my posts, and requests to "keep posting like you are doing." Many of you have been incredibly helpful and a few have been horribly rude! I haven't mentioned any names, but if the shoe fits, you will wear it and respond to me critically again. I have a better suggestion, if my ignorance and inquistiveness bugs the snot out of you, why don't you just not say anything? The bottom-line: a few suffered ego injury, since you THOUGHT I was embracing Mooseman's point of view rather than the majority of responders to the thread. Unless you tell me otherwise, when I joined this forum there was nothing about agreeing to group buy-in!!!

Several have said, search for whatever your interested in and you'll PROBABLY find it. Yeah, right, I put in several different phrases, and nothing; yet I at least tried! Few seemed to tolerate my thread on rifle break-in, yet there was an incredible amount of participants for a thread that was so horrible! Then, a few outright asked me to stop asking questions and do more listening; PM's communicated frustration with me over duplicating information already available on the forum. Is the information on the forum search to be found in the title? No, not specifically!!! Is it buried under a minutiae of information that is nearly impossible to find? Who the hell knows? God only! I don't have the wealth of experience that some of you have, so I can only go by what I read in articles, and your responses to them. I got a darn many likes from my posts, and requests to "keep posting like you are doing." Many of you have been incredibly helpful and a few have been horribly rude! I haven't mentioned any names, but if the shoe fits, you will wear it and respond to me critically again. I have a better suggestion, if my ignorance and inquistiveness bugs the snot out of you, why don't you just not say anything? The bottom-line: a few suffered ego injury, since you THOUGHT I was embracing Mooseman's point of view rather than the majority of responders to the thread. Unless you tell me otherwise, when I joined this forum there was nothing about agreeing to group buy-in!!!
I am always willing to help anyone and especially people New to the firearm world since there are no stupid questions except the ones that don't get asked. Am I old school ? Damn right I am and proud of it but it got me through life doing what most people only dream about. There are Master Gunsmiths like myself who do precision work and stand by it and there are Gunschmidt Hacks who call themselves gunsmiths and i've seen and repaired guns they have damn near destroyed. I started in the gun world in 1974 and it has been a Major part of my life ,Big game hunting, shooting, gunsmithing, building custom guns, reloading, trap shooting , and working Gunshows from Florida to Alaska. I don't know everything , but I know what I know. You ever need anything you are welcome to PM me and I am willing to talk to you on the phone to help you with whatever. It's how I roll !
Go Gators !
Rich

I am always willing to help anyone and especially people New to the firearm world since there are no stupid questions except the ones that don't get asked. Am I old school ? Damn right I am and proud of it but it got me through life doing what most people only dream about. There are Master Gunsmiths like myself who do precision work and stand by it and there are Gunschmidt Hacks who call themselves gunsmiths and i've seen and repaired guns they have damn near destroyed. I started in the gun world in 1974 and it has been a Major part of my life ,Big game hunting, shooting, gunsmithing, building custom guns, reloading, trap shooting , and working Gunshows from Florida to Alaska. I don't know everything , but I know what I know. You ever need anything you are welcome to PM me and I am willing to talk to you on the phone to help you with whatever. It's how I roll !
Go Gators !
Rich

I think a private convo between you and G8r is a great idea and I appreciate you putting that out there for him!

Jim West from Wild West Guns ( the one on TV) keeps trying to Hire me to work for him , but I don't want to live in Vegas or Anchorage at my age.

Besides that you have to wait for the new OK law to be in effect! :D

I carry if I'm awake. Actually I've taken a nap or two while still carrying so there's that! :D
Is that a Pistol in your pocket or are ya happy to see me ? :D
FYI there will be myself and a bunch of My group of gunsmiths , shooters, and reloading parts dealers , as well as Jim West and some other very famous gunsmiths at The Big Wannemacher Gun show in Tulsa ,Ok April 6th and 7th , 2019.
It is 11 acres of guns under 1 roof buying, selling , trading so anyone who wants to be in gun heaven , its the place to be !

I'm really not a fan of magnums... too recoil shy. When sighting in a borrowed 300WinMag, I couldn't get past 5 rounds at a time. A full box was out of the question. I owned a 7mmRemMag and it was ok on recoil, but I thought the recoil was an unpleasantly sharp crack. So after I had to sell all my firearms to pay for a divorce, and I finally was able to purchase a hunting rifle, I knew it was going to be only one rifle in my possession for awhile. The choice for me was between .308 and 30-06. Although the 30-06 has a bit more range, I wanted the short action of the .308 so that the rifle would be a bit lighter. I'm not a long range shooter. Most of my animals have been taken under 100yds, and my planned limit for an animal I would take is 200yds. So it works for me. If not, I'll just put a knife in my mouth and grin em down... :)

BTW, real elk hunters use .338WinMag without a muzzle brake! ;););)

One shot, one kill!

This is where I think the 270 really shines. Magnum trajectory, same as or less than 308 recoil. Cheap factory ammo.

This is where I think the 270 really shines. Magnum trajectory, same as or less than 308 recoil. Cheap factory ammo.

Thanx for that info. I have never shot one, but I remember articles from famous hunters saying they would take one with them anywhere in the world. It used to be soooo well regarded, then got lost in the Magnum craze, now it's Creedmore all the time. My, how things change!

Go Gators !
Rich
Mooseman, I appreciate it and will be in touch!

Clearly, there are brand's that have a reputation for achieving monumental sales, but some brands have fallen behind. In your opinion, what is the best hunting rifle for around $1000?
No personal experience with them, but from what I've been reading lately, I'd have to say Ruger and CZ would definitely be two makes I'd look into.
….of course you can get a Marlin 336 in either .30-30 or .35 Remington for under $300, so there's that, too.

Dean

Last Edited:
Thanx for that info. I have never shot one, but I remember articles from famous hunters saying they would take one with them anywhere in the world. It used to be soooo well regarded, then got lost in the Magnum craze, now it's Creedmore all the time. My, how things change!

Yeah, its gonna turn 100 in 2025. Not much can be said about it that hasn't been said. It just works!

No personal experience with them, but from what I've been reading lately, I'd have to say Ruger and CZ would definitely be two makes I'd look into.
….of course you can get a Marlin 336 in either .30-30 or .35 Remington for under $300, so there's that, too.

Dean

Yup, then you put a $500 scope on it...

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR