JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would suggest....
A controlled expanding bullet....in the weight range of 150 -180.
What brand or type...?
One that shoots well from your rifle.
Luckily this ammo can be of the older , long used variety...
Like Remington Core-Lokt , Federal Power-Shok , Winchester Silver tip...
This ammo is as a general rule easy to find and a bit less expensive.

Finding this out however , will take time , practice and money.

As for range...
I would suggest practicing from 25 - 100 yards...with a 100 yard zero.
Seeing as how I ain't sure of where you are hunting...and what the terrain is like there.
Find what distance you can consistently make good hits at.....
And stick with that...do not be tempted to push your luck with a game animal.

Speaking of hunting and terrain....
Practice hunting shots...not just shots from the bench.

Hunting shots as in :
Off hand...
With a improvised field rest...
In the rain...in the heat....
In poor light...
When you tired and hungry...
If you can ...Take a few hikes with your rifle....get used to carrying and handling it after a long day....
If possible and if it can safely be done...shoot after doing such things.

Hunting and shooting at a range are two very different things.
One can be an excellent range shot...but a poor hunting shot.
Andy
These words here.

Wait until you hear of the dark side called reloading: we not only have cookies, we have better ballistics, both transitional and terminal.

Well, I couldn't find Federal Power Shok locally but I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady Whitetail 165 grain Interlock. I fired 10 rounds including six rounds at 200 yards, which formed a 6 inch group. I think that's a good start. I'm using a Henry Single Shot .308 with a 4x to 12x Leupold scope.

That round will be fine for hogs. They are tough critters, no doubt, but they are not bullet proof. Hit them well and they will be down.

I'd be more concerned with the 6-inch group at 200. That's a bit larger that I'd like to see.

That round will be fine for hogs. They are tough critters, no doubt, but they are not bullet proof. Hit them well and they will be down.

I'd be more concerned with the 6-inch group at 200. That's a bit larger that I'd like to see.
It is a bit larger than it should be. Should I try a heavier or lighter bullet? Or just try a different brand of ammo? Also I may just need more practice. My heartbeat is throwing off my shots, I think.

I use a Browning lever (old model, 1972) rifle. The .308 has never failed me, even with 147gr 7.62 NATO FMJ used in a pinch. (It tumbled thru the neck and took out the spine). Technically illegal for hunting in most states, but I was hungry and it's all I had. That deer fed a lot of people.
Amazed at the FMJ performance on smaller game like coyotes and similar. But then it is .308... and my BLR seems to like most of it. Have also used 200gr silvertips on boar at close range in brush etc. Used for deer when money was tight.
Nowadays I'd probably be using my .30-30, or to be onry about it, a :eek: 7.92x57 Mauser.
Like Andy said, PRACTICE, and get to know what your rifle will do with specific ammo. Know your rifle.

but skeery because you never know when you'll meet up with a monster at zero yards..

Ya, My Brother-In-Law was with me on that hunt. He shot into a herd and unfortunately I was not standing behind a tree.

The herd exploded in all directions and a couple charged right at me. I Froze. I personally don't believe in the "Charging" thing now, because they both Stopped within 5 yards of me when they realized a Human was standing in front of them, and they shot off in different directions.

A bit exciting tho'.

OK, 165 or 168 should be right in the sweet spot. Were you shooting off bags? Not sitting or standing? I'd hope to see closer to 3 inches at 200.
I was sitting at a wooden shooting table and shooting off bags. However, I had one hand under the forend to try to simulate a hunting situation, instead of resting the forend on bags which I probably wouldn't have in the field. I could clearly see the crosshairs of my scope bouncing with my heartbeat and I tried to time the shot between heartbeats, but the bouncing was more than I expected. I do not have a lot of experience shooting with scope magnification as most of my rifles have red dots instead.

I was sitting at a wooden shooting table and shooting off bags. However, I had one hand under the forend to try to simulate a hunting situation, instead of resting the forend on bags which I probably wouldn't have in the field. I could clearly see the crosshairs of my scope bouncing with my heartbeat and I tried to time the shot between heartbeats, but the bouncing was more than I expected. I do not have a lot of experience shooting with scope magnification as most of my rifles have red dots instead.
OK yeah. I think if your left hand was under the butt of the stock from a bench you could have done 3 inches.

Also, since you are accustomed to red dots, make sure that you have a Clear Sight Picture thru your Scope (No grey areas around the outside edges of your sight picture), it means that you need to move your head forward or back to get rid of them. Also, set your Parallax appropriately on your scope if it allows for that.

Any questions, PM me.

Worst case, if you can come up a bit north on a day off, I will take you to my range and we can work out the kinks . :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top