JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Carbine Continuation Conundrum, Part II: Wackiness Reloaded

• Iver Johnson Enforcer, put a stamp on it!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Deerfield, carbine on 'roids!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Um, eh (bromp) I'z once got iver on ma johnson in the deer field. Itched like'a sumbitz.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
Continued from this old project. Kicking around a carbine project and engaged in flatulent forays on Gunbroker in furtherance of said. Couple ideas:

1. Iver Johnson Enforcer. Form 1 SBR it. Probably stick to irons. Pros: Light, handy, retro-wacky and already have plenty of magazines on hand. Cons: Commercial M1. Requires a stamp. Not positive on stock solution right now.
  2. Ruger Deerfield. Perhaps irons, red dot, or low power scope. Pros: Kind of an M1 Carbine, but in .44 Magnum, which is thump-tastic. No Form 1. Cons: Somewhat pricey, but in the same zone as option one. Ten round magazines are expensive, though I already have two for a 77/44, so likely good enough. Plastic upper handguard is butt ugly.
Which sounds more neato to you? If Form 1ing the Enforcer, how difficult is it to use another M1 Carbine stock? (I'm unclear if it just a matter of swapping the receiver out, requires some modification, or is a "whole 'nother" to make it work.) Though I have a can that would work on either, likely won't suppress; I did this once on an Mini-14 and won't be doing that to a Garand-ish action firearm again.

Thanks!

Can't comment unfortunately cuz this is a niche/special interest thing. So all the pros and cons one might list compared to other guns is kinda out the window. Sort of like if someone wanted a HK p7. There is really only the P7 and clone(s) to talk about. Maybe m1 paratrooper is only comparable I can think of but don't know much about any of these at all. Hopefully someone that collects these will have helpful input.

I'd personally go with the Ruger between the two. More powerful and versatile, also easier to sell if you a different direction. I'm admittedly a bit biased against Iver Johnson when it comes to anything I might use for self defense having seen my buddy's 22 pistol jam more times than it fired, but the Enforcer might be more reliable. Also 44 mag can be purchased anywhere.

I love the M1 / M2 Carbine...would love a Rockola...but I digress... :D

For the project in the OP...I'd go with the Ruger...and look into making or have made a upper hand guard out of wood.
Only real reason being the quality of the build of the Ruger is better than the Iver Johnson Carbine copy.
Andy

I love the M1 / M2 Carbine...would love a Rockola...but I digress... :D

For the project in the OP...I'd go with the Ruger...and look into making or have made a upper hand guard out of wood.
Only real reason being the quality of the build of the Ruger is better than the Iver Johnson Carbine copy.
Andy
Too bad Samson doesn't make something to the Hannibal Rail for the Deerfield. I'd consider one of their folding stocks and a Hannibal on a Mini-14 for this project, plus it can be found in 7.62x39 and 300 BO as well as 5.56. Drop a reflex sight in green on it (like a Holosun 508 or a 510 on the pic section) and Bob's your uncle

1716776476439.png

Last Edited:
Too bad Samson doesn't make something to the Hannibal Rail for the Deerfield. I'd consider one of their folding stocks and a Hannibal on a Mini-14 for this project, plus it can be found in 7.62x39 and 300 BO as well as 5.56. Drop a reflex sight in green on it (like a Holosun 508 or a 510 on the pic section) and Bob's your uncle

View attachment 1888507
EDIT: There is a decent 5.56 Mini-14 with factory and the Samson folding stock in the NWFA classifieds (No affiliation). That is a Samson rail and optic away from something interesting.

If you are asking about putting a Universal into a USGI stock, it can be done. Mine (non-enforcer) came with an underfolder and I put it into a GI stock. Took some dremel work iirc.

Of the two I would go with the Ruger also. The IJ did not have a real good rep for quality. I would be leery of spending the money to stamp one. Whereas I would have no problem dropping the cash needed to fix up some wood furniture for the Ruger. That would be DAMN nice!

Thanks all for the thoughts. Random pickles:

• Totally agreed on concerns quality control on the Iver. Though the two GI types here (M1 and M2) run great, every commercial M1 derivative I've ever owned/played with has disappointed. From mildly annoying but still jettison worthy (e.g., Inland Advisor) to literally the biggest POS semi-auto rifle I've ever encountered (e.g., AO's abomination). I don't like those odds and I used to play roulette. (Parenthetically, I showed the wife the Iver Johnson on GB. She squint eyes and says in her staccato manner "looks like something from Star Wars, but also in wild west." Then canted head sideways, smiled broadly, and wandered away. Mujer misteriosa.)
  • Leaning towards the Ruger. The æsthetics, albeit from my admittedly curious perspective, are almost as important as to function, so would likely do something on handguard. What is saved on tax stamp may mitigate this, though I'm finding essentially nothing currently on the market, including from Boyd's. That said, I could just live with it; it is not that big of a whoop.
  • I believe my reasoning for not threading / suppressing these are sound, but I grant I could be wrong. The Mini-14 I placed a can on was loud and blasted lots of crapola back and onto the shooter. Imagine Wile E. Coyote after a 'splosion. I was warned off the idea, but did it anyway; if I had a nickel. Anyway, I suspect I'll encounter similar results with either the Iver or Ruger, but would value insight from anyone who placed a large silencer on the end of either of these.
  • Consarn the Hughes Amendment, because, otherwise, I mean, come on: full-auto .44 Magnum. :s0112:
Here's wishing the wonderful friends here a beautiful summer. Thanks again. :s0155:

Thanks all for the thoughts. Random pickles:

• Totally agreed on concerns quality control on the Iver. Though the two GI types here (M1 and M2) run great, every commercial M1 derivative I've ever owned/played with has disappointed. From mildly annoying but still jettison worthy (e.g., Inland Advisor) to literally the biggest POS semi-auto rifle I've ever encountered (e.g., AO's abomination). I don't like those odds and I used to play roulette. (Parenthetically, I showed the wife the Iver Johnson on GB. She squint eyes and says in her staccato manner "looks like something from Star Wars, but also in wild west." Then canted head sideways, smiled broadly, and wandered away. Mujer misteriosa.)
  • Leaning towards the Ruger. The æsthetics, albeit from my admittedly curious perspective, are almost as important as to function, so would likely do something on handguard. What is saved on tax stamp may mitigate this, though I'm finding essentially nothing currently on the market, including from Boyd's. That said, I could just live with it; it is not that big of a whoop.
  • I believe my reasoning for not threading / suppressing these are sound, but I grant I could be wrong. The Mini-14 I placed a can on was loud and blasted lots of crapola back and onto the shooter. Imagine Wile E. Coyote after a 'splosion. I was warned off the idea, but did it anyway; if I had a nickel. Anyway, I suspect I'll encounter similar results with either the Iver or Ruger, but would value insight from anyone who placed a large silencer on the end of either of these.
  • Consarn the Hughes Amendment, because, otherwise, I mean, come on: full-auto .44 Magnum. :s0112:
Here's wishing the wonderful friends here a beautiful summer. Thanks again. :s0155:
If you get the Ruger and have some nice wood furniture made for it would LOVE to see it. Should make one hell of a nice looking and fun little rifle.

Is there any substantive difference between the 99/44 and Deerfield? The magazines and overall system are, from everything I've seen, the same and that is all I really care about. The 99/44 I found on Gunbroker looks to have a different, somewhat inferior, stock than Deerfields. Though, candidly, that could be just how the pictures were taken. More curious than anything else.

And have on watch list. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top