JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
If you see someone needing help with info, offer a hand up. It serves us all when new shooters are asking questions.

Have an answer, then give it. Tired of answering then don't reply. This isn't rocket science.

That said, I've been extremely grateful for those that have helped me gain more knowledge in whatever area I'm trying to learn more about and I tip my hat off to them.

There was mention of Caliber recommendations and The magnums are not for everyone. For most North American game other than moose and Buffalo , I recommend the 30/06 to most shooters as it will kill even Grizzly Bears with a well placed shot and the versatility of bullets and bullet weights from 110 gr to 220gr. makes it a good choice for everything from groundhogs to Elk.
I've seen more "slightly used" Magnums in pawn shops because the shooter couldn't handle the recoil. When shooting Big Game, you never feel the recoil like you do on the bench !

I like the 30-06 too, mainly because it's what my Dad brought me up with. Always worked for me.
I killed my first 7 ft Grizzly bear with a 30/06, my first moose, my first black bear, and my first Caribou.I then graduated to a 300 Win Mag until I found the rifle I looked for after many years...a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 300 H&H Magnum built the month and year I was born. Its My Hunting rifle now for deer and hogs here in Okrahoma.

I killed my first 7 ft Grizzly bear with a 30/06, my first moose, my first black bear, and my first Caribou.I then graduated to a 300 Win Mag until I found the rifle I looked for after many years...a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester in 300 H&H Magnum built the month and year I was born. Its My Hunting rifle now for deer and hogs here in Okrahoma.
I'm Jealous. Here on the wet side of Washington i've only taken my rifle for long walks in the woods lately...LOL

.30-06 is a terrible cartridge and kicks like a mule. Completely the WORST hunting caliber out there.

Too soon?
:D

I'll take anyone of these :
Hawken.jpg

DSC06619 (1).jpg

DSC06814.jpg

DSC06789.jpg
Or if needing to go "modern" I'll use this one :
DSC06725.jpg
I'll hunt anything you care to name , in North America with the top rifle.
Its my "Hawken Rifle" copy in .54

Granted none of the pictured rifles are "currently" made...but you can find them in the used market or get a new made replica thereof...
Andy

View attachment 553451

View attachment 553452

View attachment 553453

View attachment 553454
View attachment 553455

Granted none of the pictured rifles are "currently" made...but you can find them in the used market or get a new made replica thereof...
Andy
I like my Smokepoles too Andy ! .45 Hawken, .50 Hawken, Original 1841 Mississippi .58 cal , Original Harpers Ferry .69 Musket , and also the Bp Cartridge rifles 1861 .577 Snider, 50-140 Sharps, and the Old 45-70 Trapdoor.

Savage in .308, anything but the lower model.

Get a tropy hunter with a scope and you'll be good for most big game in North America.
You'd be good out to 400-500 yards.
Which if you hunted in the PNW that's about all you'll need.

Anything past that and you better move your price range to $2000

Ruger Hawkeye.
That's what I'd buy, but I'd probably end up changing a thing or two, because they don't offer exactly what I'd want anymore.
Any rifle that hits all of my marks won't be available for a grand.

If I were doing all of the above, I might choose something flatter shooting and with enough penetration to take more off-angle shots on bigger animals like elk. I'd start with a standard sporter weight rifle in 270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, or the 300 Winchester Magnum. The 300 Win Mag is a level of recoil that some find objectionable. They all have similar trajectories and work well in open areas. I shoot these three calibers a lot and have become more and more fond of the 270. Its very mild in recoil, shoots flat, is cheap to shoot, and gets the job done. I mention magnums because they do shoot flat for game like pronghorn. I have no qualms with using a magnum on small game if it helps with trajectory and bucking the wind.

That said, my do-it-all rifle is a 30-06 with a 3.5-10x40 scope. I understand its trajectory to shoot out to 400 yards on game comfortably. I use 180gr bullets which do well when shooting close range as well. Its not the first rifle I pick up, but its never a bad choice.

Honorable mentions are the 7mm-08 Remington, 280 Remingon, the 270 WSM, and 300 WSM. These have fewer factory choices, but are still relatively popular. The 7mm-08 kills way beyond what most people would think.

My favorite current factory rifles are the Tikka T3 for anything up to 2.5 inch cased magnums. I'm also partial to Winchester M70s. With the 300 Win Mag, I prefer more magazine space like an M700 or Weatherby Vanguard. Thats only because I reload and like to tailor my loads to my chamber and throat.
I like the .270! Very comparable to the .308. Slightly less recoil, even with the. 308 out to 300 yds, and outperforms the .308 beyond 300 yds! Obviously, the .308 is a bigger round, which affects velocity and trajectory further out. Because of it's size, the .308 has greater penetration. From what I can tell the .270 is ideal for most game, even elk, but not recommended for bear. BTW, some will get bored with the statistics, so you may want to skim through it to read the summation. Source: .270 Win vs .308 Win – Cartridge Comparison | Sniper Country

I like the .270! Very comparable to the .308. Slightly less recoil, even with the. 308 out to 300 yds, and outperforms the .308 beyond 300 yds! Obviously, the .308 is a bigger round, which affects velocity and trajectory further out. Because of it's size, the .308 has greater penetration. From what I can tell the .270 is ideal for most game, even elk, but not recommended for bear. BTW, some will get bored with the statistics, so you may want to skim through it to read the summation. Source: .270 Win vs .308 Win – Cartridge Comparison | Sniper Country

The .270 is a smaller bore diameter, but its 14mm more case length and the case capacity to boot. You'll be 6 or more inches flatter at 400 yards. A 150gr from a 270 started at 3000fps is nothing to sneeze at. Or, if you like monolithics, the 110gr Barnes TTSX is not only flat, but will retain all its weight and exit.

I've never been a big 308 fan. Its a legitimately good cartridge. However, neck it down to 7mm or 6.5mm and its flatter and can penetrate deeper. Or, put the same bullet in a bigger case and start giving yourself a greater margin of error.

As a hunter and not being concerned with military performance, I can list 10 cartridges that push a heavier .308 bullet faster and penetrate from just about any angle. But, I will concede this: Since the bullet does all the killing, a 300 Win Mag might be a 500 yard elk cartridge given the optimal bullet expansion velocities of most hunting bullets. If so, the 308 is a 350 yard elk cartridge given the same expansion window. Thats farther than most have any business shooting at game.

I'm really not a fan of magnums... too recoil shy. When sighting in a borrowed 300WinMag, I couldn't get past 5 rounds at a time. A full box was out of the question. I owned a 7mmRemMag and it was ok on recoil, but I thought the recoil was an unpleasantly sharp crack. So after I had to sell all my firearms to pay for a divorce, and I finally was able to purchase a hunting rifle, I knew it was going to be only one rifle in my possession for awhile. The choice for me was between .308 and 30-06. Although the 30-06 has a bit more range, I wanted the short action of the .308 so that the rifle would be a bit lighter. I'm not a long range shooter. Most of my animals have been taken under 100yds, and my planned limit for an animal I would take is 200yds. So it works for me. If not, I'll just put a knife in my mouth and grin em down... :)

BTW, real elk hunters use .338WinMag without a muzzle brake! ;););)

View attachment 553451

View attachment 553452

View attachment 553453

View attachment 553454
View attachment 553455

Andy

One shot, one kill!

And .280 Rem/AI is better than both, just not a popular as either.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top