JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to zero my rifle and start practicing with hunting ammunition, with the goal of eventually getting a hunting license and shooting a wild pig. I have a 308 rifle. What bullet type and bullet weight should I be looking at? Also, what distance should I be practicing at? Thanks for any information on this.

Whelp for off the shelf you are going to have to find out what you rifle likes some will shoot all well. The second would be is to zero it with that ammo of course that being said 308 and any other caliber I use Hornady, Federal and Sig makes great consistent off the shelf ammo. I have also had great luck with the Remington core-lokt and they come in 150-180 flavors and should be found just about anywhere and shoot very consistently. I would zero at 100 yards and either use a scope with holdover marks on the reticle or if you get a open elevation turret just dial it up.

I would suggest....
A controlled expanding bullet....in the weight range of 150 -180.
What brand or type...?
One that shoots well from your rifle.
Luckily this ammo can be of the older , long used variety...
Like Remington Core-Lokt , Federal Power-Shok , Winchester Silver tip...
This ammo is as a general rule easy to find and a bit less expensive.

Finding this out however , will take time , practice and money.

As for range...
I would suggest practicing from 25 - 100 yards...with a 100 yard zero.
Seeing as how I ain't sure of where you are hunting...and what the terrain is like there.
Find what distance you can consistently make good hits at.....
And stick with that...do not be tempted to push your luck with a game animal.

Speaking of hunting and terrain....
Practice hunting shots...not just shots from the bench.

Hunting shots as in :
Off hand...
With a improvised field rest...
In the rain...in the heat....
In poor light...
When you tired and hungry...
If you can ...Take a few hikes with your rifle....get used to carrying and handling it after a long day....
If possible and if it can safely be done...shoot after doing such things.

Hunting and shooting at a range are two very different things.
One can be an excellent range shot...but a poor hunting shot.
Andy

Last Edited:
I would go with whatever scope you could afford and use a quality mount that is all torqued down properly. I am sure if you go to a range talk to some people they will point you in the right direction none bite except at the ranges in Ft Bliss lol!

I've had tremendously good results with Barnes Vortex 165gr
It's been a death-ray on California hogs and African plains game. Fired from a Steyr Scout and a Ruger American.

I had a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 Win that shot the basic Federal Power-Shok 150 gr as well as any handload I tried. It would work fine on any pig or deer at reasonable range with a well placed shot. And cheap enough for sufficient practice to make the shot well placed.
Of course, each rifle is different, and what worked well in that particular.308 Win. Bolt action may not in your rifle, but I have had good results in a number of rifles in various chamberings with that cheap (or at least used to be) Federal Blue Box ammo.

I only hunted Boars in Kali. Paso Robles Area.

Used a .300 WinMag. They are VERY Tough. Rib Cage is Bullet Proof. Need a Solid Blaster.

Good Success on a 200+ lb. Boar.

If you want something edible, focus on younger ones.

I don't have much to add. Other than repeat... It's going to depend on what your rifle likes to eat. I've had very good success with Winchester silver tip boattails out of a bolt action. (You didn't mention what rifle type you have). I would tend to go more on the heavier side (180g) for boar, but accuracy at range is more critical. If your rifle prefers 150g... that'll do. It kind of depends on what type of boar you're after, too. "Bragging rights" whoppers or "better eating" youngin's.

IE., I hunt for meat and prefer the better eating variety... so if my rifle preferred 150g... I would be all the more comfortable with the slightly lighter bullet.

Range? Varied and within your ability... but keeping your target hunt, terrain and expected distances in mind. IE;, Boar is likely to be closer ranges (50-80yds, depending) so I would probably sight in zero at 100yds or 1"high at 50. For Eastern OR muleys, I would probably sight in 1"-2" high at 100yds... depending on bullet weight. KWIM?

I only hunted Boars in Kali. Paso Robles Area.

Used a .300 WinMag. They are VERY Tough. Rib Cage is Bullet Proof. Need a Solid Blaster.

Good Success on a 200+ lb. Boar.

If you want something edible, focus on younger ones.
Lol, so did I.. but I used a 9mm Hi-Power. No brain shots, easy work.

My ex's dad had a huge spread from pioneer days down there and I also did some Camp 5 hunts.. I only used that pistol. Easy if you get within where you personally can hit where you want but skeery because you never know when you'll meet up with a monster at zero yards.. thankfully that never happened to me but it was sporty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top