JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Right now, most manufacturers are good to go. Remington and Marlin will take a little while to get back in my good graces due to some bad QC issues.

The problem is "hunting rifle" is too vague of a term. What are you hunting? Where are you hunting it? Most people who hunt deer or elk are well suited in the middle ground and choose a do-it-all rig. This is the 22-24 inch barrel, 3-9x scope, chambered in something like 30-06.

However, if you become more specialized, you may tailor a rifle to thise needs. Whether is a lever action in the woods or a long range rig on the plains.

Anyone mentioned Tikka T3 Lite yet?
IMGP0314.JPG in 6.5X55 worked for me flawlessly last year.

Right now, most manufacturers are good to go. Remington and Marlin will take a little while to get back in my good graces due to some bad QC issues.

The problem is "hunting rifle" is too vague of a term. What are you hunting? Where are you hunting it? Most people who hunt deer or elk are well suited in the middle ground and choose a do-it-all rig. This is the 22-24 inch barrel, 3-9x scope, chambered in something like 30-06.

However, if you become more specialized, you may tailor a rifle to thise needs. Whether is a lever action in the woods or a long range rig on the plains.
Do not have to be exact here. If you hunt deer what do you use, depending on the size? Elk, maybe .308, 30.06, etc? Pronghorn? Pig? Other?

Do not have to be exact here. If you hunt deer what do you use, depending on the size? Elk, maybe .308, 30.06, etc? Pronghorn? Pig? Other?

My hunting rifle at the moment is a Tikka T3lite in .300WinMag. Use it for Deers, elks, and bears. But have only been able to actually take a shot at 1 deer with it. I missed because of shooter error. Other than that. Great gun, punches paper just fine all day long. Isnt heavy at all.

Beautiful rifle! Any limitations? What is your rifle best for hunting up to what size animal? What would you not use your BLR to shoot?
Unfortunately, I can't help you here, because I do not hunt [yet].
I'd say .308 Win is a good all-around caliber, affordable and easy to find.
Note, that .308 Win/7.62x51 is still among longest recorded sniper kills.
Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia

16a30f65f5ff2abcce1d822e64e0a272.png

I'm confused... Are you asking about Brand, or caliber, or both?

(BTW, the caliber discussions are another endless debate that's ALL personal opinion. You will get many differing assertions that one is hands down the best of all others... NOT! IMO is that there are many good calibers for any one animal, and many that prove to be versatile enough to serve several purposes. You can search the forum for previous discussions, or you can google it, or both.)

Rifles, I consistently hear good things about Tikka... no idea what they cost.

I personally own a Ruger 77 in .308Win... a production rifle of moderate cost and good quality in a versatile caliber that can take deer as well as elk and be loaded down for practice, or up (velocity) with lighter boolitts for varmints. I even have some shells that I loaded with sabots and .22cal 55gr boolitts, cooking out at about 4000fps. Not great for barrel life, and not great accuracy, but should tear up a 'yote at 100-200yds. The other nice thing about .308 is that it was favored in bench rest competitions for many years and so the ballistics, bullet drop, windage, etc, are well known. Factory rounds are available almost everywhere, and a wide variety of bullets are available for reloaders.

After doing hunter's sight in for a few years at the club...Tikkas just impress the heck outta me. Out of the hundreds of rifles Ive seen sighted in, they are by far the most accurate out of the box guns IMHO.

IMO Tikka puts out the best production rifle today, pick a caliber to match your game.

Yep. I have two of them and they shoot lights out. I didn't even break in the barrels.

Whoops, wrong thread. I got confused.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews