JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being a drone owner myself I can tell for a fact this drone owner was in the wrong...

1. flying low altitude over someone elses property and lurking/looking into their windows.
2. After being caught with an obviously upset at you homeowner the drone still comes back in for a closer look essentially trolling the home owner.
3. most drones fly on 2.4Ghz control and 5Ghz video signal...get a jammer that works on wifi and it will likely make the operator lose control of it.

My drones both operate with 1-2 cameras on board. however unlike these photography drones like seen in the video, mine are fixed position cameras and pointed at an upward angle towards the sky.

I run with the FPV camera (first person view) and a HD action camera mounted on top.

However my drones aren't made to lurk or spy. They are made for speed and flying/maneuvering very fast in the air. They climb very fast as well...

View attachment 347416
As you can see...not exactly a spy craft lol

And this track is cool as hell. Leave it to Dubai to go all out no expense spared on track building lol

Me..I just fly laps around the yard, over the shop and garage, down the driveway between the trees, bank around the holly tree in the yard and rip back down the drive around the house and over the shop again lol. That's my track.

I show and explain that to show not all drone owners are like this dbag that was trolling the bellevue lady. flying over someone else's properly or lurking around peeking in their windows with a camera is not cool.

Now on the flip side if someone like me is cruising around their own yard rippin around at high speed and crash into a branch or something or lose radio signal for whatever reason.. interference happens sometimes or antennae might come loose and drone crashes in your yard, please don't go trying to break it. It was an accident and never intended to go to your yard. ;) my drone has landed in neighbors yard once and I used a pole to drag it to the fence and retrieve it. drifted and crashed due to radio signal loss (damn wifi interference) before I upgraded to more powerful transmitters and switched to the HAM frequencies..and before you ask yes I am a licensed HAM, but only for the purposes of the racing drones.

I suspect the majority of the people buying these are responsible and just want to have fun. Of course as happens with so many things a few morons will leave a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouth. They need to throw the book at the idiots so word gets out.

Frozen paint balls would work :D
Except there is always a air pocket and if frozen it will produce very erratic flight of the ball. Same thing happens if they arn't rotated during storage so that the paint doesn't collect and stiffen on one side

Yea reality being what it is these things are being bought BECAUSE there is a cam on them to be used for 'whatever' reasons. If there was no cam I'll bet dollars to dog turds they're would be virtually no purchase of them for 'recreational' use. Like I said before establish two classes of drones - cam equipped and no - cam. No cam models would require NO registration, no nothing - basically a line of sight toy. Cam equipped models however would require registration, licensing and a ID # on the unit JUST LIKE A PLANE. Lets see how many of the no - cam models would sell.
Registration is required for those above a certain weight due to possible damage to aircraft.
If you fly within five miles of an airport even below tree level, you must notify the airport.
The camera does provide some good aerial photos and an aid to piloting the craft. misuse is possible in all activities with everything----kinda like gun control. We don't like gun control being passed by those who are ignorant about guns-----apply the same reason to other activities.

It's going to be common practice to electronically hijack drones, make them bonk you in the head, and then sue the bejesus out of the owner. true story

Signal jammer.

battelle-dronedefender4-600.jpg

You own the airspace on your property from the ground to 35' above it. It is part of your property and you have a right to refuse entry to anyone without a warrant. If you believe that your life is being threatened, you may protect yourself. The issue is usually that a firearm with a rifled barrel is being used and your projectiles will enter someone else's air space and cause them harm. If it were me, I'd use a shotgun and blow the thing right out of the air, if it was in my air space. Of course you can always call the cops and have them charge the operator with a trespass. Then there is small claims court where you would win big time.

IMG_1588.JPG

I have möbius camera mounted on my Durafly Tundra RC airplane. I have both AMA and FAA numbers on my RC airplanes. The RC club I belong to requires it too.

Last Edited:
You own the airspace on your property from the ground to 35' above it. It is part of your property and you have a right to refuse entry to anyone without a warrant. If you believe that your life is being threatened, you may protect yourself. The issue is usually that a firearm with a rifled barrel is being used and your projectiles will enter someone else's air space and cause them harm. If it were me, I'd use a shotgun and blow the thing right out of the air, if it was in my air space. Of course you can always call the cops and have them charge the operator with a trespass. Then there is small claims court where you would win big time.

To be clear, I am not condoning 'Peeping Tom' drone use, but would you be so kind as to quote the source of the 35' airspace you mention?
My current understanding as a full size pilot , drone owner (and firearms enthusiast)is that we dont own the airspace above our property. During helicopter training some years ago, we hovered a foot above rooftop helipads in downtown Seattle , legally, without needing the owner's permission. If we touched the skids, it would have been trespass.

To be clear, I am not condoning 'Peeping Tom' drone use, but would you be so kind as to quote the source of the 35' airspace you mention?
My current understanding as a full size pilot , drone owner (and firearms enthusiast)is that we dont own the airspace above our property. During helicopter training some years ago, we hovered a foot above rooftop helipads in downtown Seattle , legally, without needing the owner's permission. If we touched the skids, it would have been trespass.

Home owner "owns" the airspace to 500 feet above their property according to this Wikipedia Entry. That being said, a drone can only be operated at a max altitude of 400 feet and the pilot must maintain visual contact, per the FAA. I just recently purchased a drone and I've been flying it around my property getting used to the controls and taking some video of the flights. With the exception of some low level flights over my neighbors sidewalk, I don't leave my airspace. The problem is that the massive amount of idiots that required the FAA to put out the regulations, mostly jackasses that flew near airports, cause the problem for the majority of the people who just want to fly and take photos/video for fun.

I too am a General Aviation pilot. The 35' rule is codified in Washington Real Estate law. The fact that you may have hovered over the rooftop of helipads is not germane to the subject. Those helipads are more than 35' above the ground and are therefor subject to FAA rules.

:mad:Just another "tool" to be used by TPTB to spy (and lord knows what else) on We the People. It's a control issue,:eek: NOT protected by the 2nd (or any other) Amendment. Coming on my property without my leave is TRESPASS unless you are a peace officer WITH a warrant based upon probable cause. There is no clause in the US Constitution giving individuals a "right to spy".
Based on drone use against terrorists we know these things can be deadly and may strike at any moment.
I realise that the clock cannot be turned backwards, the tech is here to stay, and I say there needs to be some rules about spying on and harrassing one's neighbors. These things can be abused and misused and there needs to be the same kind of control to protect individuals and society at large from "Unwarranted"- emphasis on "warrant"- spying, harrassment, or other interference by either government or citizens generally.
:s0137:

Drones now are considered aircraft. It is a federal offense to shoot one down. Even if it on your property you do not own the air rights above your home.

Drones now are considered aircraft. It is a federal offense to shoot one down. Even if it on your property you do not own the air rights above your home.
The laws as written are referring to piloted aircraft with the pilot on board. No property owner is required to submit to a forfeiture of any property right without judicial approval. While drones are certainly "aircraft" they are not protected as "aircraft" and are regulated to keep them out of traditional aircraft flight patterns including patterns for landing and launching of said aircraft.

My thinking exactly. Especially if you can build your own replacement drone from the remains of the crash.

But if you just wanted to buy one, this looks promising:

You don't need anything fancy as that just a cheep drone and a long piece of string hanging over the landing gear. Just drop down from above and get the string in the props. It will come down.

I live in a very remote location so I don't really expect some perv to be flying a drone over me on a spy mission anytime soon, but when and if that bridge needs crossed,,
Starlings seem to be gathering everywhere this time of year and the flocks get thinned quite often,
Just saying.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top