JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or depending on the size, the FAA registration number.
I considered that possibility, too, but only for a moment. If the douchenozzle flying it were inclined to follow rules or exhibit any semblance of common sense, then he wouldn't be buzzing someone's home and property in the first place.

So that probably voids my thought that his/her contact info is on the bird as well. But you never know...

To my understanding the FAA had to drop all that registration nonsense a week or two ago anyway. Federal Appeals Court says it as illegal. But trust me, the FAA's lawyers will study up and respond with something far more restrictive.
A federal appeals court shoots down the FAA's drone registry requirement

Last Edited:
I considered that possibility, too, but only for a moment. If the douchenozzle flying it were inclined to follow rules or exhibit any semblance of common sense, then he wouldn't be buzzing someone's home and property in the first place.

Common sense is dead! When I track down the owner of the drone that buzzed my house I will talk to him first, If he doesn't respect my wishes then its on! It will get destroyed one way or another legally of course ;)

I will take the high road as long as the dumb sheit flying will. :D

Common sense is dead! When I track down the owner of the drone that buzzed my house I will talk to him first, If he doesn't respect my wishes then its on! It will get destroyed one way or another legally of course ;)

I will take the high road as long as the dumb sheit flying will. :D
Chances are it will be a kid

To my understanding the FAA had to drop all that registration nonsense a week or two ago anyway. Federal Appeals Court says it as illegal. But trust me, the FAA's lawyers will study up and respond with something far more restrictive.
A federal appeals court shoots down the FAA's drone registry requirement

Everybody I know on drone forums are cheering that. However that only applies to the 4th District/Circuit. Until it actually goes through the supreme court or the FAA drops the hobbyist requirement, it's still the law for the rest of the country.

Everybody I know on drone forums are cheering that. However that only applies to the 4th District/Circuit. Until it actually goes through the supreme court or the FAA drops the hobbyist requirement, it's still the law for the rest of the country.
Yep that just happened last week lol

Am I reading this wrong?

Drone Flying for fun?
Location Requirements 5 miles from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control

Getting Started

Airports - with 5 mile radius (USA)

PDX Area
upload_2017-6-1_16-50-33.png

My work place and my house both fit within this circle
upload_2017-6-1_16-51-54.png

upload_2017-6-1_16-53-15.png

Am I reading this wrong?
Drone Flying for fun?
Location Requirements 5 miles from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control
Getting Started
Airports - with 5 mile radius (USA)
PDX Area
View attachment 367249
My work place and my house both fit within this circle
View attachment 367250
View attachment 367251

Nope. Although if you are in a 5 mile radius of an airport you have to contact the tower to get permission to fly for any reason. One of the things that sucks about where I live is I am 4.98 miles from a non-controlled heliport, which falls under the "need permission" to fly. So if you have somebody "buzzing" your house and you are in a restricted flight area, it may behoove you to contact the FAA and report it.

FAA makes a good app to know if you are flying in restricted airspace, B4UFLY. It is only for phones but it helps to run it when I get to an area so I know if I can fly or not.

A little off of topic but I once saw a drone the size of a mid size SUV flying around an outdoor night drinking event in Reno. It was kinda scary. At first I didn't notice it until it moved. It was just free floating suspended in the air and then it floated between some buildings and disappeared. It was crazy and no I wasn't that drunk yet haha.

A little off of topic but I once saw a drone the size of a mid size SUV flying around an outdoor night drinking event in Reno. It was kinda scary. At first I didn't notice it until it moved. It was just free floating suspended in the air and then it floated between some buildings and disappeared. It was crazy and no I wasn't that drunk yet haha.

They were spying on you to make sure you drank your share of the beer! o_O:confused::D

I just saw a spot on the news - KGW Channel 8, now has a commercial drone they're using for reporting. I'm guessing you're going to see more and more of that happening since it costs them so much more to put their helicopters in the air.

Nope. Although if you are in a 5 mile radius of an airport you have to contact the tower to get permission to fly for any reason. One of the things that sucks about where I live is I am 4.98 miles from a non-controlled heliport, which falls under the "need permission" to fly. So if you have somebody "buzzing" your house and you are in a restricted flight area, it may behoove you to contact the FAA and report it.

FAA makes a good app to know if you are flying in restricted airspace, B4UFLY. It is only for phones but it helps to run it when I get to an area so I know if I can fly or not.

So, what I am hearing you say, If I run over to CostCo, buy a drone,
as of last week I do not need to register it,
but I can call the Portland Airport - Hillsboro, and notify them I intend to fly it.

I assume they can tell me no - like during the Air Show and what not.

If I don't bother to call, is that a crime? or an infraction?

So, what I am hearing you say, If I run over to CostCo, buy a drone,
as of last week I do not need to register it,
but I can call the Portland Airport - Hillsboro, and notify them I intend to fly it.
I assume they can tell me no - like during the Air Show and what not.

Yes. The requirement is to tell the tower where you are flying, how high, and for how long. Now the trick is to get through to the tower, sometimes that is next to impossible, but it is a requirement if you are within 5 miles of an airport.

If I don't bother to call, is that a crime? or an infraction?

It's an infraction. However it comes with a hefty fine if the FAA gets involved and not local police. If the local police get involved it is mostly a slap on the wrist. However if the FAA want's to play with you, then your shiny new drone will become the possession of the FAA as well as somewhere between $20,000 and $150,000 of your dollars. I can't seem to find again where I found this data, but I wouldn't want to play with the FAA.

SO, I live on 180 acres at the END of a box canyon and I have a regulated dam and an unregulated pond dam. It's normal for the county or State to call and ask permission to enter my property to "Inspect" my water storage and what not, BUT, two days ago, Wife and I spot a drone buzzing around the ponds, So I called the Sheriffs office to report it, and also called both County and State agencies that would normally do any inspections! All three answered NO, not one of there drone's and that it's possibly some enviro actives! I was able to get video as the drone buzzed my property for almost 20 min, and was looking over every thing! There are only 3 ranches in this canyon, and mine is at the boxed in end with only one road in and it's private and Gated, so some one had to have a pretty expensive rig to be able to fly the several miles in and then be able to buzz around as long as it did. The Sheriff came out a little later and took a report and I showed him the video. He was going to check in to it further to see if he can track down who might be doing this! My Neighbors both saw it as well and we are all PIZZED:mad::mad::mad: Next time this happens, it's getting a special present from a .12 gau firing chain and ball, and i'm going to have all sorts of fun with it when it hits the water over my big pond!!!

( you know what you said, snipped to make a smaller post :) )

I wouldn't blame you for that. I've been wanting to take my drone and fly over the hop farms around where I live but I can't seem to find who owns them and until I get their permission to do that I wouldn't think of flying over their property. Just bad form IMHO.

Speaking of which, I may go over to Boones Ferry Berry Farms and ask if I can buzz them a bit :)

Funny thing is, There are no accessible hiking trails to any public areas including Catamount reservoir or Pikes Peak, and no other roads including old fire roads that are accessible with out a ton of work and that would be very obvious should some one try:mad::mad::mad:

There are regulations and there are common sense parameters. UAV pilots are supposed to avoid flying over people. We know that is not happening as you can get on YouTube and see thousands of videos of morons flying in restricted airspace, in approach pathways around Hoover Dam and every where else.

Good UAV pilots only fly where they have permission to fly or flying is allowed in public areas, and away from crowds of people.

As far as invasion's of privacy go, aircraft both fixed wing and rotor craft are able to see into your back yards and property fairly well even while maintaining the minimum 400" AGL altitude required by FAA regulations. Taking actions against those aircraft is a serious Federal violation. I have helicopters flying over my property every day at about 600 feet. It is annoying as hell, but they have every right to do it, and if I complain they can tell me to pound sand.

I know there has been a lot of talk about taking action and "shooting" down these UAV's. The very second you do that, you have now taken complete responsibility for any injury or damage the unit causes after becoming disabled by your actions, and have likely committed a Federal violation.

The toy drones don't have as much telemetry capabilities, but even reasonably cheap UAV's have slug trail capabilities and all kinds of telemetery recording capabilities. If you shoot down, or disable one of these, the pilot has an immediate GPS coordinate as to where the UAV went down, and video recording of the action. These are not only on the SD card on board the UAV, but recorded on the pad being used to control the unit.

There are some toy operators in my hood who have pissed off people with their actions. They have taken this anger out on a friend who has permission to fly over a field. He carefully stays with those areas. He comes to my place, we have permission to fly on about 300 adjoining acres of farm ground, and he fly's at the coast in areas away from people. We can also set fences for the UAV to stay inside.

There will be no doubt that there will be numerous incidents in the coming years, and there will likely be legal precedent set at some point in time. I am in in the process of getting my Commercial FAA Part 107 commercial UAV license. I also have a student pilot certification, and will be getting my LSA ticket next year if not sooner. Therefore I cannot do anything that will put me into conflict with FAA regulations lest I jeopardize those ticketing chances.

I just want to encourage every one to hold the line on taking action against one of these UAV's while in flight since you will become liable and subject to criminal and civil actions should injury or damage result from your actions. You have also effectively absolved the UAV operator from any kind of "wrong doing" or " illegal " activities with your actions. Try and locate the pilots and communicate civily with them, not making threats or taking action, since that could be criminal in nature as well. Do not bring stuff on yourself that you do not need.

Sounds like a good use for a 2 oz weight on a fishing line. I'm guessing drones don't like monofillament line. No problem nailing a drone under 100 foot.

You know what you posted, no sense me copying the entire thing.
I've often read and agreed with the vast majority of your posts coastie, and I'd agree with your comments about keeping a level head, and treating each other with civility.
Common sense seems to be in short supply these day though and if someone's flying their drone on the Nat forest that surrounds me on three sides and loses control of it, that's one thing. And if they respectfully contact me for permission to trespass to retrieve it, they would find me as more than willing to let them retrieve it. But if I'm enjoying the quiet and solitude of the back or front 40 and one comes in low and slow snooping on my privacy for lord knows what? Well, I'll stand by what I posted earlier and deal with ramifications at that time.
I appreciate your tact and candor in this debate, but for me it's not a debatable subject.
No disrespect intended towards you, but plenty to the hacks that caused the posting by the OP in the first place.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top