JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait.... I think I'm missing something here....
Urban Dictionary: lanyarding

What do YOU mean by lanyarding? Please tell me not definition number 1!
:s0133:
We called it an "Idiot String" in the Army.
Not sure how many miles of 550 cord we went thru lashing things down or putting a lanyard on things so they wouldn't get lost. :D
Andy

You really can't beat experience.
Developing the skills for navigation, shelter, food and water, getting through undeveloped country on foot.

All that stuff is in your head, takes up no space in the closet whatsoever.

Experience will show what being cold and hungry will do to your concentration. What is needed to keep those handy 'survival tools' from falling down an embankment or into a stream.

New methodology for doing (what used to be) simple things without injuring yourself, during times when you can't think clearly from fatigue.

Experience first. That is almost everything.

My mother sent me a box of my old c childhood stuff she had been hanging onto for years. Among the items were my old Tonka (1960 Ford step side) and my old boy scout handbook. Started flipping through, then stopped and REALLY read it, lots of common sense there. I would recommend it as a primer for anyone concerned with survival.

the very top survival lie... starting a fire with one of these:
Amazon.com: Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Army 12,000 Strike Fire Starter with Emergency Whistle - Coco Shell: Sports & Outdoors
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41QnTg9-WgL.jpg

Is there a story that goes with this?

Well this one time at band camp...:rolleyes:.

Not much of a story, it was for a merit badge when I was in scouts and the temps were supposed to stay in the mid 40's - ended up in the high 20's and snowing.

Learned a cold lesson in finding firewood at night the first night out:D.

A corner of my bookshelf has all my

gold star for the pat McManus reference! I read all his books when I was in 7th grade (my math teacher introduced me to him) and still think he is hilarious.
He's awesome. I don't know if he codified/named how to get "un-lost" but as you know, just get nekid!

DING!

-plus a homemade tinder/starter really helps, especially in the wet. We like dryer lint soaked in melted paraffin.

I prefer the drier lint to have the wax/vaseline/et. al. on the outside and not on the inside of the lint. This makes it easier to start with the plain lint (after you break it open) and then the covering helps it last longer.

Fire steels work very well, but the trick, when it's cold and wet and your hands are frozen, is "ya have to have done it before!"
So...experience! :D

I guess I don't really get the fire steel/flint/other alternative fire start techniques. If you can carry a fire steel, why not just a Bic? When I go in the back country, I carry about 5 in different waterproof containers spread throughout my gear, a couple in my pickup etc.

I guess I don't really get the fire steel/flint/other alternative fire start techniques. If you can carry a fire steel, why not just a Bic? When I go in the back country, I carry about 5 in different waterproof containers spread throughout my gear, a couple in my pickup etc.

Exactly.
Thats why those things are a survival lie.... Yes, it can be done but its the absolute most inefficient way compared to the weight of even 2 bic lighters. Even if you practice with them, if SHTF you dont want to be messing around with the most inefficient method most likely in the cold and rain.

It's true though.. there's plenty of outdoors people that can't get a fire going with a road flare. Practice, especially in bad weather, with various tools.
Note to self, master primitive methods to make fire. that'd be a nifty feather in the hat

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews