JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't say I have a lot of practical survival skills, but I did grow up camping and backpacking, sometimes into very remote areas with only what we could carry on our backs. We would eat minimally (raman, granola, oatmeal, etc.), we learned to build a fire under varying conditions from rain to snow to keep warm. We learned how to find clean water sources. We learned how to stay warm with minimal items to assist. That aside, we never learned to hunt or trap for food, and didn't do any real foraging. And while it's been a while since I last did this stuff, I know much of it is still in the old memory banks, though a bit rusty in practice.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't say I have a lot of practical survival skills, but I did grow up camping and backpacking, sometimes into very remote areas with only what we could carry on our backs. We would eat minimally, we learned to build a fire under varying conditions from rain to snow to keep warm. We learned how to find clean water sources. We learned how to stay warm with minimal items to assist. That aside, we never learned to hunt or trap for food, and didn't do any real foraging. And while it's been a while since I last did this stuff, I know much of it is still in the old memory banks, though a bit rusty in practice.
That's far more than most!

...a pair of skinny jeans!

Or basketball shorts and flip-flops. It's my pet peeve. Young males seem to think it is the height of coolness to walk around inappropriately dressed/equipped for their circumstances. In even a slight emergency, like a vehicle breakdown in 30 degree weather a few miles from anywhere, these irresponsible children will not only be unable to help take care of anyone else, they will need to be taken care of themselves, putting a burden on everyone else in an emergency situation.

Honest Officer......umm....I was just teaching my flock of survival sheep how to climb the fence...!

Get fit, buy good gear, obtain knowledge, get experienced and be a problem solver everyday! :)

Last Edited:
Or basketball shorts and flip-flops. It's my pet peeve. Young males seem to think it is the height of coolness to walk around inappropriately dressed/equipped for their circumstances. In even a slight emergency, like a vehicle breakdown in 30 degree weather a few miles from anywhere, these irresponsible children will not only be unable to help take care of anyone else, they will need to be taken care of themselves, putting a burden on everyone else in an emergency situation.

And I find it hard to just drive by dipsticks like them when I see them broke down on the road, two punks in shorts and slingshots staring at an engine as if they can collectively will it back to life,,
Yet sometimes I still do:D

Any of you Boy Scouts on here remember the wilderness survival merit badge? I do! That was one of the most fun badges I earned... The final test was being dropped off in the middle of nowhere (in a group of like 10 other guys) with only: pocketknife, iodine tablets, fire starter, and the clothes on our back. We had to stay out there for 2 nights-3 days. It was fun but nighttime was probably the coldest I've ever been in my life. That experience has stuck with me!!

Inoculation: I am not a fan (nor have I ever been or ever will be) of David Letterman.....

Top Ten Survival Lies:

#10 Do it once and you never have to do it again.
# 9 I know exactly what I'm going to be up against.
# 8 This is how I always do it.
# 7 Coffee, cigarettes, booze, and snuff are important.
# 6 It takes a lot of money to prepare.
# 5 I have to carry all the water and food I may need.
# 4 I'll prep some other day.
# 3 Sleeping at night and personal hygiene is important.
# 2 Proteins must be cooked before consumption.

And the number one survival lie is....... I do not believe that EVERYONE else will eventually be a lethal adversary :rolleyes:.

Inoculation: I am not a fan (nor have I ever been or ever will be) of David Letterman.....

Top Ten Survival Lies:

#10 Do it once and you never have to do it again.
# 9 I know exactly what I'm going to be up against.
# 8 This is how I always do it.
# 7 Coffee, cigarettes, booze, and snuff are important.
# 6 It takes a lot of money to prepare.
# 5 I have to carry all the water and food I may need.
# 4 I'll prep some other day.
# 3 Sleeping at night and personal hygiene is important.
# 2 Proteins must be cooked before consumption.

And the number one survival lie is....... I do not believe that EVERYONE else will eventually be a lethal adversary :rolleyes:.

Lie #11
As the last man on Earth you must be prepared to personally repopulate the planet. :p

Last Edited:
I plan on dry running some desert survival techniques this early summer and late fall. July-August would be insane here as it generally is hovering 100-115. My expectation is to take X amount of water and then see if I can FIND water in the hills here abouts. Start with a couple of days out and then go for more if early evolutions are successful.
PMA is key of course.
Brutus Out

I'm guilty of cargo shorts and flip flops, BUT I keep boots, socks, pants and a coat in the winter in the trunk.

And I can fix anything with a leatherman and the duct tape I also keep in my trunk :p.

Oh and wilderness survival for me just happened to be during a freak snow storm that moved in during the night.

Learned you can never have too much firewood amoungst other things when stranded.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top