JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was taking the scouts out on 50 mile hikes my favorite bits was getting lost. They'd run ahead, take a wrong turn and end up at a dead end.
"Pull out your map, where are we supposed to be?"
"Pull out your compass. Where are we?"
"Plot a route from here to there."
Great learning opportunities.

I've had the experience of a real (but not extended) wilderness survival situation (unbelievably scary at the time, but invaluable to me now) when I was a young buck. My greatest challenge was also my greatest strength: my mind. I panicked for half a day and wore myself plumb out until I ended up passed out from exhaustion. I had a jar of peanut butter and a few bananas with which I ate when I woke up. 12 hours later I was back at my camp because I regained my mind and could problem solve my situation. I learned more about myself in those 24 hours than probably a college degree could ever offer. Years of reading Tom Brown's wilderness survival books, which I had the prescience to have had practiced, not just read, kicked in and I became my own hero. Not something I would wish on a teenager, but I am so much the better for it.

What I am saying is that way too much emphasis is placed on being able to build a fire as a survival skill, and not enough on staying dry, dressing in layers and being able to carry/find shelter out of the elements. I.E., being prepared.

As I said, the importance and benefits of a campfire are way overblown, the ability to create a fire when one would be beneficial (when it is pouring down rain/snow and the temps are cold) overestimated.
absolutely agree. IMO the build a fire topic is at the top of the list of survival lies.

I had a boy that could never remember his coat, until the rainy hike no one brought an extra. I cut arm and head holes in a trash bag. Thats what he wore, never forgot again.
Don't let them get the survival badge at summer camp or they won't learn nothing. Pick April. On a rainy weekend.
Any of you Boy Scouts on here remember the wilderness survival merit badge? I do! That was one of the most fun badges I earned... The final test was being dropped off in the middle of nowhere (in a group of like 10 other guys) with only: pocketknife, iodine tablets, fire starter, and the clothes on our back. We had to stay out there for 2 nights-3 days. It was fun but nighttime was probably the coldest I've ever been in my life. That experience has stuck with me!!

Whoever thought a soul would be anti-fire in a survival situation. That's how we, humanity, got here. yay fire?

There are a number of reasons to not build a fire and very few good reasons to actually want to build one.

If you don't want to be found - then don't build a fire.

If you don't need a fire - which is most of the time if you are properly prepared and smart - then don't build a fire. You are wasting time and possibly endangering others. The number of people who are careless with fire greatly exceeds those who are careful with fire. The number of idiots grows daily as fewer and fewer people know how to exist outside an urban area.

If you need a fire, then you probably got yourself into a situation that you shouldn't had you need properly prepared in the first place and made wise decisions.

My mother sent me a box of my old c childhood stuff she had been hanging onto for years. Among the items were my old Tonka (1960 Ford step side) and my old boy scout handbook. Started flipping through, then stopped and REALLY read it, lots of common sense there. I would recommend it as a primer for anyone concerned with survival.
The old ones, not the new ones as much.

What does that mean?
I think what I was trying to say is to try to have some skill and will. I was not saying that since it might be cold and rainy that there's no hope, as it seems some here are. pretty odd

Did I ever say that people don't and won't die of hypothermia? Of course they do and will. I honestly don't think warmth caused someone to die of hypothermia.
what are you yammering on about?

Whoever thought a soul would be anti-fire in a survival situation. That's how we, humanity, got here. yay fire?

a lot of your posts are too vauge or cryptic, I cant really tell what your point is. All I see is your saying to have the will to survive, I agree... but that means nothing without explanation. What does it mean to have the will to survive when your cold and soaked lost at night in the woods and making all the wrong choices, like to build a fire?

You can have all the will to survive, wont help you if your making the wrong choices like trying to build a fire in the wrong conditions.

I never said you said anything, nor am I "anti-fire", certainly there have been cases where building a fire was essential to someones survival. What I'm yammering about is the discussion on the importance of being able to build a fire and the truth behind its importance in the chain of things to worry about if SHTF in the woods. The Heretics replies are spot on.

a lot of your posts are too vauge or cryptic, I cant really tell what your point is. All I see is your saying to have the will to survive, I agree... but that means nothing without explanation. What does it mean to have the will to survive when your cold and soaked lost at night in the woods and making all the wrong choices, like to build a fire?

You can have all the will to survive, wont help you if your making the wrong choices like trying to build a fire in the wrong conditions.

I never said you said anything, nor am I "anti-fire", certainly there have been cases where building a fire was essential to someones survival. What I'm yammering about is the discussion on the importance of being able to build a fire and the truth behind its importance in the chain of things to worry about if SHTF in the woods. The Heretics replies are spot on.
That's awesome.

Just to be clear - I have experienced hypothermia a number of times. You don't jump into an icy (literally) Columbia river in the middle of January and then swim ashore, or spend 36 hours offshore exposed to a storm on a rescue mission without experiencing some level of hypothermia.

In short - BTDT - wish they issued us drysuits instead of ill-fitting wetsuits.

Just to be clear - I have experienced hypothermia a number of times. You don't jump into an icy (literally) Columbia river in the middle of January and then swim ashore, or spend 36 hours offshore exposed to a storm on a rescue mission without experiencing some level of hypothermia.

In short - BTDT - wish they issued us drysuits instead of ill-fitting wetsuits.
Well that's interesting.. in this "Ten survival lies" thread.. I guess.
I'd also posit that it's good to not get a major artery compromised or one's head smashed into the shape of an anvil.
because that must be one of the ten survival lies or something
lol

I have been known to build a fire or two:

11138096_368229370038601_3635982146271817475_n.jpg
10451907_368614563333415_1275369461093602699_n.jpg

Well that's interesting.. in this "Ten survival lies" thread.. I guess.
I'd also posit that it's good to not get a major artery compromised or one's head smashed into the shape of an anvil.
because that must be one of the ten survival lies or something
lol

Or not to get so soaking wet in the first place that you need a fire - unless it is in the line of duty.

That's the general goal yes. :D

Last time I got that cold and was out in the wilderness (literally) I had been hiking and the weather turned from a nice 70* to below freezing with light wet snow inside 4 hours. I was stupid and had not checked the weather forecast.

I had raingear but it halfway failed (the goretex pants partially delaminated) and I was wet and cold and the wind was blowing good.

Worst mistake I made was when a buddy of mine and I decided to use ultra-light gear for hikes. Very cool until you reach that camp spot in the pass on a night below freezing
then it's "shiver me timbers!"

Worst mistake I made was when a buddy of mine and I decided to use ultra-light gear for hikes. Very cool until you reach that camp spot in the pass on a night below freezing
then it's "shiver me timbers!"

I go for the lightest gear I can.

Back in college I went for untested discount gear because I was poor - I had some "seconds" goretex outer shell gear that was not as water proof as I thought it was - at least not the lower half. Your leg muscles do a lot of work when walking and a lot of circulation goes through them, so it is easy to get cold if the legs get wet as that blood circulates back through the body.

Back then, I weighed about 60 pounds less than I do now too - so I have a bit of extra insulation now. :D It does actually make a difference.

I also try to test my gear more and buy better gear - but then I don't go on hikes or hunting anymore - not in the shape for it, I am almost 40 years older, my bad back has gotten worse, not better - therefore I tend to drive places I used to walk or bicycle to - I do less work outside and take more breaks. But I do have that experience to notice what works and what doesn't for keeping me dry and warm.

gear: lightweight, cheap, strong. Pick 2.

I choose gear that is the lightest that meets my criteria. Expense is much less of an issue now than it was when I was a starving student - at least for the time being (things will change when I retire).

E.G., I don't need my S&W 460V where my 329PD is more than adequate, although the 460V is a much stronger revolver, but weighs twice as much. Same with the Model 43 Airweight I just bought - for a .22 RF revolver, I do not need a heavy handgun.

I chose my "belt axe" for the same reason; it is the right weight for a small camp hatchet, half the weight of my CRKT Chogan but does almost as well - a little heavier than my Gerber hatchet, but much much better.

Also, I go for minimal gear which has really cut down on the weight.

I used to put everything and the kitchen sink in my pack (now my GHB) just in case I might need it. Now I have a lightweight GHB with a hydration bladder, FAK, FD food, a few other items, my Ecotat shelter and that is it. Where my backpacking pack would weigh 40 to 60 pounds, my GHB now weighs less than 20.

I have to do that (cut weight) - I can't carry that much weight anymore, certainly not for the 30 miles plus that I have to walk home from work if the SHTF while I was at work.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top