JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Charcoal bouquets in a paper egg carton, covered with paraffin. A dozen little starters, break off as many as needed. Not to start a fire but it will sure get one going.

With practice a flint and steel kit can be helpful in starting a fire , even in the rain.
The GunWorks in Springfield OR.
Track of the Wolf
And Dixie Gunworks all sell a flint and steel kit.
A good place to practice is when you fire up your BBQ grill...
Andy

With practice a flint and steel kit can be helpful in starting a fire , even in the rain.
The GunWorks in Springfield OR.
Track of the Wolf
And Dixie Gunworks all sell a flint and steel kit.
A good place to practice is when you fire up your BBQ grill...
Andy
Oh Andy, you fool. It has already been established that you can't start a fire in the wet with gasoline in this thread.

Oh Andy, you fool. It has already been established that you can't start a fire in the wet with gasoline in this thread.

We used diesel mixed with gas - diesel from the skidder, gas from the chainsaws, when I was working in the woods. The diesel would burn longer, the gas was easier to take a flame. Then maybe some freshly cut branches from the logs would burn as they were not soaked with water.

But dead wood that has been sitting in the rain for months is usually soaked all the way through and the only way to get it to burn is to dry it out somehow.

Otherwise, the wood won't burn.

I had a hell of a time getting my slash piles to burn in the winter - I poured some diesel on them then stood there with a propane torch and a 5 gallon bottle of propane, and I could not get them going. So I took some advice, put plastic over them and waited until spring, then they took off, but not without a lot of help.

One method my neighbor used was to put a bit of diesel in a plastic bucket filled with newspaper. Another one was to use a road flare. But it would not work in the winter.

Note that here on the mountain, when the valley gets half an inch of rain, we usually get the full inch by comparison, so yeah, it is very wet up here.

YMMV

I have read some interesting posts, and I don't really disagree with anyone. For me though, it really is about the gear. I learned a ton about surviving in the Marine Corps and the more "stuff" you have with you, the better off you are. In my truck I always carry a water proof trunk full of warm clothing, socks, gloves, etc. In that trunk is several BIC type lighters, a few thousand matches, flint and steel, flares, water purification tablets, canteens and a lot of other useful items. I also carry enough food and water for at least three days and 100 rounds of ammunition for the weapon I ALWAYS have with me. I actually do consider everyone I encounter to be a threat to be dealt with. I also keep a pretty significant first aid/medical cache with some more advanced things like sutures etc. I was a firefighter/paramedic so I have had the training to make them useful. I still keep some pretty good first aid and emergency medicine books on hand. If I know I am going to be driving in rural areas or on the road for a few days, I throw in a .22mag/20ga. survival rifle, a lot of ammo for it and a small tent. In my home is all the same stuff times ten. That's just me.

Last Edited:
guy survives overnight in the snow builds small fire to stay warm.

dont let this fool you, the first thing he did was find shelter.... ;)
<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top