JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Found a Smith & Wesson .38 special in the attic of a 100 year old house

What's with the grip on that revolver? Is that something aftermarket? That radius cut on the top doesn't look S&W and the medallion doesn't seem to be either.

In any case, what we see in the picture surely makes it look perfectly serviceable.

The patina looks almost like some of those case-hardened frame kinda classic re-do's that they made in the early 2000's. Which I never bought one of and regret.

During my time as a deputy sheriff, widows would frequently want a deputy to stop by because of a gun she found amongst her deceased husbands things. These poor women just didn't know what to do with the various firearms that they found. I would suggest that they offer them to other family members. Frequently, they just wanted them gone and asked if we would take them. No, I never did. The only thing I ever took was a WWII German "potato masher" style hand grenade. By all appearances it had been deactivated, at least that's what I told the desk sergeant!

What's with the grip on that revolver? Is that something aftermarket? That radius cut on the top doesn't look S&W and the medallion doesn't seem to be either.

In any case, what we see in the picture surely makes it look perfectly serviceable.

The patina looks almost like some of those case-hardened frame kinda classic re-do's that they made in the early 2000's. Which I never bought one of and regret.
I don't know about the grips, but that pistol looks like it was originally fire blued, like pre-WWI Colts. That's what an early 1900's fire-blued Colt looks like when it gets old and worn.

During my time as a deputy sheriff, widows would frequently want a deputy to stop by because of a gun she found amongst her deceased husbands things. These poor women just didn't know what to do with the various firearms that they found. I would suggest that they offer them to other family members. Frequently, they just wanted them gone and asked if we would take them. No, I never did. The only thing I ever took was a WWII German "potato masher" style hand grenade. By all appearances it had been deactivated, at least that's what I told the desk sergeant!
I have oft told Wife if I go, take the money the insurance gives you, have whoever is the lowest bidder do whatever the hell they want with the body. That if she spends huge bucks on a fancy funeral I will come back and haunt her. I will have to add this as a second to that list. Give away my guns without seeking out the best price you can get and I come back and haunt :s0140:

That looks like an OLD pre-war S&W M&P Hand-Ejector, could easily be well over 100 years old. Those grips are definitely not original, look like some kind of aftermarket. The bluing looks like it's turned, maybe from some kind of long-term, mild chemical exposure?

Last Edited:
I've done some remodeling on my older homes and never found anything cool. My current home was built in 1895 and I saved a few of the original square nails that still look like new.

YxMi93bsQ2iy2N-yPL8mHA.jpg

in the cubbie hole in the up stairs of a old house I found a cedar box with mexican coins in it, some were silver ,it was during the early 80s silver boom and job shortage .I dont no if I was paid fair but it sure got me through a bad month

I have oft told Wife if I go, take the money the insurance gives you, have whoever is the lowest bidder do whatever the hell they want with the body. That if she spends huge bucks on a fancy funeral I will come back and haunt her. I will have to add this as a second to that list. Give away my guns without seeking out the best price you can get and I come back and haunt :s0140:
Same discussion here, but with my Mrs.!

I had a buddy in Arizona that said he and his brother used to go explore old gold mines in the area. In one, his brother found an old Colt pistol sitting on top of a shoring timber.

I explored a few when I lived there and all I found were tons of old cans and rusty buckets. And an ill-tempered badger in one.

MY Grand Parents built their house just after the War, and Grand Dad built two secret cubbies, one full of guns and ammo, and money, and the other had all sorts of papers and certificates and other financials! This was back before home safes were common and they wanted to be able to keep things secure and out of site! We knew of the one, but didn't learn of the other until we read the will when Grandmother passed! That was quite a find, abut $200K worth of family fortune to spread around their 3 children!
Rumored that my oldest uncle had a pretty good sized girly magazine stash hidden under the floor boards, but we never found anything, and he still claims it was just a rumor! ;)

Dad would always tell stories of doing a surprise ships inspection and finding a stash of contraband through out the ship, and was pretty amused at the ways some would find to hide their stashes! He said one of the most impressive was a stash of booze in the gun house under the auto loader transfer bars, he said it would have seemed impossible to get to, but some one did it! More impressive was that they had fired the gun a number of times and yet the concussion didn't break the bottle!

I had a buddy in Arizona that said he and his brother used to go explore old gold mines in the area. In one, his brother found an old Colt pistol sitting on top of a shoring timber.

I explored a few when I lived there and all I found were tons of old cans and rusty buckets. And an ill-tempered badger in one.
I spend about half the year in the mountains and Sonoran desert, poking about in old mines. I found a shovel once, but I think that I had brought it in with me.

I don't know about the grips, but that pistol looks like it was originally fire blued, like pre-WWI Colts. That's what an early 1900's fire-blued Colt looks like when it gets old and worn.
That looks like an OLD pre-war S&W M&P Hand-Ejector, could easily be well over 100 years old. Those grips are definitely not original, look like some kind of aftermarket. The bluing looks like it's turned, maybe from some kind of long-term, mild chemical exposure?

Yes, I knew it was a very old gun and obviously an all-blue revolver as originally made. Around year 2000, S&W made a relatively short run of its Heritage Series. Mod's 10, 15, 24, maybe some others. These had a true case hardened frame. The patina on the subject found revolver vaguely resembles this treatment, to my eyes.

S&W has also made some reprised revolvers in its Classic Series circa 2007, such as Mod. 22 which have a faux case hardening look that will clean off if you're not careful. Like some Ruger single actions had but I think have now been discontinued because of durability issues.

Yes, I knew it was a very old gun and obviously an all-blue revolver as originally made. Around year 2000, S&W made a relatively short run of its Heritage Series. Mod's 10, 15, 24, maybe some others. These had a true case hardened frame. The patina on the subject found revolver vaguely resembles this treatment, to my eyes.

S&W has also made some reprised revolvers in its Classic Series circa 2007, such as Mod. 22 which have a faux case hardening look that will clean off if you're not careful. Like some Ruger single actions had but I think have now been discontinued because of durability issues.
Those early Colts were not just blued, but fire blued. They were a bright blue color.

1903.jpg

My nephew 20 years ago was remodeling his house found a big bag of weed and a old lever action Model 94 rifle. He brought
both of them to the police station. They said he could keep the rifle.:D

My Wife's childhood home, her Dad still lives in was a 100 year old farm house in Ohio back in the 70s.
Someone who knew the previous owner stopped by one day and asked if they found the guns left in the attic, they knew nothing about.
Her Dad did some looking at one point and found an old CZ pistol, supposedly was an old German pilots sidearm. The previous owner fought in WW2 and had bought back several war prizes. according to this person there were 7-8 guns up there.
But her Dad said it's too creeky up there and he's afraid to fall through the roof.

friend of mine removed a dividing wall from a garage conversion and found a 7mm rolling block, a 30-40 1895 winchester, and a 32-40 model 44 stevens single shot which i acquired. i have not shot it, but the bore is mirror smooth.

DSC03158.JPG DSC03159.JPG

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads