JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just reread the email and they did not say that outages would necessarily occur, only that they were more likely due to more sensitive safety equipment being used, and IF they occur they will last longer "than typical." Here's the gist of it:

"Due to elevated wildfire risk in your area, we are taking additional safety precautions. Among other measures, we may use protective devices on our lines with more sensitive settings that will de-energize power equipment when there is a short circuit detected.
A power outage is more likely to occur when these settings are utilized. For the 2023 wildfire season, based on elevated conditions in the region, we are using more sensitive protective settings in your area. As a result, if an outage occurs during the 2023 wildfire season, you may experience a longer-than-typical outage as our field personnel work to confirm that power can be safely turned back
High heat, dry and wind. See red flag I was talkimg about above. Power goes out expect lines to be patroled and power restored in sections as to not shock load the line/sub.

It will happen when Electricity Production + Distribution Infrastructure Capacity < Demand

We are on track, and accelerating it by demanding electric vehicles, electric equipment, electric hearing, electric stoves, etc..

Sweet that we are being asked to put all our eggs in one basket that they know is vulnerable to EMP attack as well as the eventual CME thatr happens every so often.

Remember all that infrastructure money that got allocated a few years ago? How much was for electrical generation and infrastructure? Wonder where we are on Trump's initiative to buy the very transformers that would need to be replaced by EMP/CME damage?

At least they gave us {ride Month and Target got to introduce pre teens to Tuck Technology...
Here in the NW we won't see it. We are a net exporter of electricity and have been for decades. As for transformers, what good would extras do in the event of an EMP? They would also be affected in storage. (FYI transformers wouldn't be affected but the components that operate them would) Lead time on the large 115kv and 230kv substation transformers is over a year from most all manufacturers assuming they even pass final inspection before shipment.

The outages would be due to fire danger caused by the power lines - not because of a lack of power production, but because of it.
Correct. Outage is for fire liability mitigation by the utility and nothing more. As long as the dams flow we won't see reduction in power generation in my lifetime. PGE was able to shut Boardman down by just purchasing more power from BPA and same thing for Coalstrip in Montana. Good reason for all of the new massive data centers in the NW, particularly in Hillsboro off highway 26. Abundant power, lower land cost and mild climate. Do you think these 500 million + dollar data centers would build if rolling blackouts/brownouts were even a possibility? Power is their lifeline to a point they have triple redundant power and many have their own substation specifically for them. Its not just some random coincidence.

Almost went to work at the Amazon data center in Boardman. There was so much building going on by many companies that there could not have been an electrical shortage. Too much new investment going in out thier.

Here in the NW we won't see it. We are a net exporter of electricity and have been for decades. As for transformers, what good would extras do in the event of an EMP? They would also be affected in storage. (FYI transformers wouldn't be affected but the components that operate them would) Lead time on the large 115kv and 230kv substation transformers is over a year from most all manufacturers assuming they even pass final inspection before shipment.
The standby transformers are part of a Federal preparedness project. It was started by a Trump EO based on recommendatiuons by the EMP Comission that had been ignored by previous administrations, then temporarily halted by Biden before being restarted. I would expect that they would be stored such that an EMP would not cause damage, like a metal enclosure/building or a Faraday cage. It would not make sense to store them where they would be damaged by the event they are being purchased to mitigate.

We are currently a net exporter due to our bountiful hydro resources. If we replace all our heating, cooking, and transportation with electricity will be still be in that position? What would happen if more environmental pressure causes the decommissioning or reduction of hydro like we saw at the Brownlea Reservoir in Idaho? What will happen when, say, a future President Newsome forces export of powe to California that requires ?cutbacks here?

I would expect that they would be stored such that an EMP would not cause damage, like a metal enclosure/building or a Faraday cage. It would not make sense to store them where they would be damaged by the event they are being purchased to mitigate.
I am not expert, but I believe the main source of damage to power grid components by EMP/CME would come from being connected to "long wire" - i.e., the "grid". Not sure if special storage would be required/necessary.

I am not expert, but I believe the main source of damage to power grid components by EMP/CME would come from being connected to "long wire" - i.e., the "grid". Not sure if special storage would be required/necessary.
The transmission is protected by microprocessor relays that look at the impedance of the line and can detect when a short circuit/voltage incident occurs. When it does, it trips the breaker in under 3 cycles, or 3/60th of a second.

That said, the microprocessor relays would die from an EMP.

Addressed here regarding an EMP. http://www.empcommission.org/
I have been told that the EMP Commission is going to re evaluate based on new electronics and current estimated EMP strength

A CME is much more powerful as during the Carrington Event railroad tracks were deformed.

Don't forget the massive scam Gavin Newsum pulled on the survivors, basically converting their payout into PG&E stocks! They don't get to rebuild or see any settlements, only worthless stocks in a failed Public Utilities that is basically bankrupt! And let's not forget, the Gavster negotiated this maskless/stay home stay safe or else we arrest you during his draconian Covid lockdowns at the French laundry restaurant with all those PG&E execs!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top