JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If the crap really did hit the fan, would you rather have 7 or 8- 9mm's and a bunch of the same ammo? Or would you rather have 5 or 6 nines and a couple of 45's but you have to store a bunch of different ammo? Just wondering what your choice would be if you had plenty of time to prepair?

I have several hand guns and several rifles in both right now. Great for around the home if things break down. Now if I had to be able to move? Probably would lean harder to the 9s. Ammo is FAR easier to carry. Other day I bought 1K of .45 in a 50 Cal ammo can and 1600 rounds of 9mm in a 50 ammo can. When I went to pick them up at the office it really showed what the difference is weight wise.

If the crap really did hit the fan, would you rather have 7 or 8- 9mm's and a bunch of the same ammo? Or would you rather have 5 or 6 nines and a couple of 45's but you have to store a bunch of different ammo? Just wondering what your choice would be if you had plenty of time to prepair?
I'm the latter, but would be willing to go all 9.

Frankly, .22 should not be overlooked. I know, I know, it wasn't one of the choices given to me at the start, however; think about how much ammo you can buy and store in a given space for a given amount of money and those bulk packs of .22 start looking pretty good. If it really, really did hit the fan, the good old 10/22 would be a truly hard to beat tool. However, given your listed choices, I'd much rather have several 9s and a couple .45s with numerous types of ammo over only 9 and only 1 flavor of ammo because that's an eggs in one basket type of situation that can really get you in a pickle should the plan suddenly need changing

Frankly, .22 should not be overlooked. I know, I know, it wasn't one of the choices given to me at the start, however; think about how much ammo you can buy and store in a given space for a given amount of money and those bulk packs of .22 start looking pretty good. If it really, really did hit the fan, the good old 10/22 would be a truly hard to beat tool. However, given your listed choices, I'd much rather have several 9s and a couple .45s with numerous types of ammo over only 9 and only 1 flavor of ammo because that's an eggs in one basket type of situation that can really get you in a pickle should the plan suddenly need changing
What a good post! Because I have more 22LR ammo than anything else but only a 6 shot revolver and a Model 60. That's a very good point! Thanks TTSX!

I would want to have a lot of butt wipes. Plus I have not just 9mm but 10mm. Which is a big deal. 14 of them, stored in various orifices. The other 12 in my pants.

I have three SIG 226s with both 9x19 (Mk25) and .40 uppers. I also have a SIG 2022 in 9mm & a 2340 upper. I have a couple other 9mm & .40 guns.

I also have three SIG 227s in .45 ACP and a S&W 325TR.

I have .22 rimfire, .357, .44, .308, 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.7x28, .30-30, .45-70, .30-06, 12ga, 20ga, .410 guns & ammo & mags (those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head).

I have plenty of ammo for most of these (I could use more .30-06 - I inherited that rifle from my father).

I have three of the main semi-auto guns because I prep for three people (myself, my daughter & her husband). I have enough 9mm, .40 & .45 to supply nine people with semi-auto sidearms & ammo for any foreseeable SHTF scenario (given that sidearms are backup weapons). The main rifle calibers I have enough guns & ammo for 6-9 people.

About half my ammo cache is .22 rimfire, with plenty for training/practice (I have .22 LR uppers for my SIG 226s) and some for hunting (I have more .22 RF guns than any other caliber).

Some calibers are for hunting only so I have less than 500 rounds each for these.

Someone is shopping for a couple 22's.
Might I suggest a pair of Rugers....10/22 rifle and a MkI-IV pistol.

Joe
I recommend tube fed .22 rimfire rifles (bolt or lever action) that can feed CB/S/L/LR - more practical/useful.

One does not necessarily need semi-auto rimfires as they are not primarily used for defense, but rather for technique practice and hunting. If you want to practice defense techniques with .22 LR ammo, then get a .22 conversion for your primary defensive centerfire firearms - or the equivalent (a .22 LR version of the firearm).

You are better at using tools when you have recent experience. Pick one and stay proficient. Even a weekly dry fire session will help you maintain familiarity and help you practice your draw, grip, presentation and sight picture. When you do get out for live fire practice, do some cold drills first, because a real life situation most likely won't give you an opportunity to warm up or draw a practice bead on the target.

more 9s with more ammo... I think of the situation like it will be months or years potentially. I'd like my neighbors armed w/ me if possible. so fewer guns with more ammo for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top