JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my experience (having actually spent time on the waters of the Columbia behind the dams), the largest amount of runoff happens in the spring. During the winter they let the reservoirs drain down so that there is room for the spring melt.
The generators are humming as they draw down the reservoirs. They make it up with the spring runoff, and coast through the summer and fall.

The future they are counting on is fusion reactors, especially if they can have small reactors local to the loads.

An AC window unit consumes 500W-1KW - I have two plugged in and running 24/7 right now with local temps at 100*F. During the winter, if I use my electric furnace, it consumes up to 10KW when it comes on and my power consumption increases by 2-3X vs. summertime. Much easier to keep my home cool than it is to keep it warm. Maybe it is my confirmation bias, but I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area.
Wait till they get rid of the gas heat and watch how fast they start screaming shortage in the winter. LOT of gas heat up this way. They are now going after that.

Meanwhile, corporations are complaining about people working from home - they would rather their workers spent 30-60 minutes driving each way than doing work they could easily be doing at home.
No way to know of course how many but, many screwed this up for themselves. Have a family member who has been doing the remote work since before the great hoax. A LOT of them slowly got weeded out because it was found they were not doing what they were being paid for. There is currently a glut of commercial office space up this way and its getting worse. More places are finding they can have workers do what they need from home and find ways to monitor that they are actually getting done what they are being paid to do. When this first got rolling real good during the great hoax MANY took advantage and of course this screwed it up for those who were honest. Most companies only exist for one reason, make money. When they can save money by not having people in an office and get productive work? They will move more and more to remote. Then you know what will follow. People crying about the loss of jobs for those who support the workers driving to and from work every day.

The future they are counting on is fusion reactors, especially if they can have small reactors local to the loads.

An AC window unit consumes 500W-1KW - I have two plugged in and running 24/7 right now with local temps at 100*F. During the winter, if I use my electric furnace, it consumes up to 10KW when it comes on and my power consumption increases by 2-3X vs. summertime. Much easier to keep my home cool than it is to keep it warm. Maybe it is my confirmation bias, but I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area.
Great...now the price of our night sights will go through the roof. ;)
(Fusion Reactors are apparently supposed to use tritium among other isotopes).

I don't know how far along they are in practical fusion power, but I doubt it is anywhere close to being ready to replace the precipitous loss and shutdown of coal, and hydroelectric.

Aloha, Mark
A lot of interesting data in his presentation, but Dang! -- this dude needs to take lessons in data presentation. I kept waiting for him to make salient points from all the data he presented, but _nothing_. If he did make some, I missed them in his monotone droning. I turned him off after 23 minutes (listened while cooking).

Oregon is the second worst, or 49th in the list with Louisiana being the worst
Delaware. Compare it to one or two counties in land mass.....
Oregon -- average total outage is almost 13 hours, or customers will experience on outage of almost nine hours, and another of almost four.
The grid here has always been hokey at best. I've had three outages this year, one planned. The planned one was supposed to be three hours, turned out to be a little longer than six.

I wouldn't say our grid is bad, I would say that we have winter weather that causes trees/limbs to fall on residential power lines as the primary cause of outages.
We "normally" have 2 failure reasons here. Tree's is always a big one. Seems no matter how much they try to cut them back some managed to take out a line when weather is bad. The other big one is vehicles. Of course this tends to happen late night, early morning. So often takes bit for a crew to get there. Its why I keep a genset. I like COMFORT. :D

I regularly hear transformer fuse links blow. Probably critters accidentally making electric chairs, but just the same.
See a Crow here get nailed every so often. Its freaky when you see it. Large crack, bird falls head first and hits so hard they bounce. HUGE bunch of other Crows swoop in going nuts checking out the dead one for a while. So far they have never killed the power to me doing this. Smart as those critters are always kind of surprises me they are the only birds I ever see die this way.

We "normally" have 2 failure reasons here. Tree's is always a big one. Seems no matter how much they try to cut them back some managed to take out a line when weather is bad. The other big one is vehicles. Of course this tends to happen late night, early morning. So often takes bit for a crew to get there. Its why I keep a genset. I like COMFORT. :D
Yup on both - most are trees (when they tell us the cause - not always reported on their page), a few times it has been vehicles - one was the middle of the day down by the cemetery.

I regularly hear transformer fuse links blow. Probably critters accidentally making electric chairs, but just the same.
When I lived in Everett, WA, I lived at the end of a dead end street. We had a transformer on our power line pole right at the end of the duplex property I rented. Crows would blow the transformer about once a year and then mob the area crowing at their dead friend laying on the ground.

If you look at the length of the power line from the generator to the customer, Oregon probably ranks at the high end. In other words, because Oregon is rural and covers a larger land area than most Eastern states, there is more exposure to power line damage/shorting than a smaller, more urban area. Another factor is that areas with dense populations generally have more power lines buried, instead of run overhead. Thus the lines are less vulnerable to damage/shorting.

This is only one factor, but an important one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top