JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When the "crap hits the fan" your guns might have excellent trade value.
Especially if they're black powder (not a firearm) and you have a conversion cylinder for it (not a firearm). Well, I guess that may not be the case in WA, eh? Not to mention antiques.

Hopefully they have someone around younger and healthier to help them out.
Dang, I wish. The youngest person around here is my wife, who's 15 years my junior. I need a few vestal virgins who could also help with yardwork and vehicle maintenance.

Ideally you train them before shtf, but if that's not possible and you have to explain to a group of people how to use a gun, you want that to be as simple as it can be.
Heck, I keep things as simple as possible just because 1) the missus is a new shooter, and 2) simpler is safer as well as more reliable. For me, that means single actions (even the rifles) and single shot long guns. EVERYthing operates the same--click-click-click-BOOM. A bigger issue for newbies might be the whole mental aspect, not the mechanical operation of a firearm.

To answer OP's question, I minimize my calibers--.22 LR for practice, .22 magnum for reals (single actions are all convertibles except the wife's Bearcat), various 20 gauge ammo. Simple, simple, simple. And effective.

1707799833176.png

1707799869888.png

BUT, But, but..........

1707799907006.png

1707800009038.png

Aloha, Mark

I try to think of the unexpected SHTF. Lets just say I know what a communist country is. They will hit you from least you will think of. If they plan to break in your house, they wont just go thru the front door. They will think of the least that you'll expect them which is more likely another opening even windows that doesn't have alarms. I would take any information from Redfin, any realty company or google map illustrating from outside to the inside of your house. They will use that as a road map.
Also will be your water and food supplies. I have like gallons of water stashed with extra reverse osmosis filters. Right now its just totally out of control and I see to it I'm prepared as much as I can.

Last Edited:
Frankly, .22 should not be overlooked. I know, I know, it wasn't one of the choices given to me at the start, however; think about how much ammo you can buy and store in a given space for a given amount of money and those bulk packs of .22 start looking pretty good. If it really, really did hit the fan, the good old 10/22 would be a truly hard to beat tool. However, given your listed choices, I'd much rather have several 9s and a couple .45s with numerous types of ammo over only 9 and only 1 flavor of ammo because that's an eggs in one basket type of situation that can really get you in a pickle should the plan suddenly need changing
Yes a 22 lr lever action so you do not have to worry about mags keep it simple with open sights silenced would be even nicer !

Sad to say some people close to my area on "Nextdoor Site" are worried more about who's to blame on graffiti. You have to be out of touch for not even to feel something bad is brewing. How do you explain to others that may need to prepare themselves at least food emergencies, fuel, generator power, lights for a in case situation. Its just a fact that there are over thousands apprehended, caught that are in the most wanted list from all over the globe passing through our border. How do they know that our enemies are fortifying their positions from the inside while they're talking about flower gardens. :s0092:
"...who's to blame on graffiti. You have to be out of touch for not even to feel something bad is brewing..."
"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls... and tenement halls..."

Frankly, .22 should not be overlooked. I know, I know, it wasn't one of the choices given to me at the start, however; think about how much ammo you can buy and store in a given space for a given amount of money
I like having a wide variety.

I have lots of .22LR and a few .22LR rifles. Also have lots of .22 Magnum and 3 lever action rifles, and one bolt action in that caliber.

Also rifles/ammo in 5.56, 357 pistol caliber, 30 carbine, 444 Marlin. .

IMO - .22 rimfire is mandatory for any prepper who is serious about being prepared.

This is why I have more .22 rimfire ammo than any other caliber and IIRC I have more .22 rimfire firearms than any other caliber.
Good for post apocalyptic poker too. I'll see your Charmin single ply and raise you 10 CCI .22LR.

.22LR will be THAT valuable :)

When you're using single ply, SHTF means "hits the finger"

I've done a lot of wilderness camping, and traveling, and the 2 worst things I can remember were, once I used one of my socks, and another time I stripped naked, and jumped into the Caribbean. When i worked in India (Bollywood), they didn't sell TP there. You had to use water and your left hand.

You know, I think I'd rather just have an unwiped bottom than to finger my exit chute...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top