JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oooh, Wonkavision. I bet Tesla's corpse just sprouted wood.
I don't really understand the physics of it, but even if it requires a physical connection, if they can get the distance required, and the power needed, if I understand it correctly, they would not need huge big power lines/etc. to transmit power?

Maybe won't get it done in my lifetime, but it would be interesting to come back next century and see if they could do it by then.

If they could do hundreds of miles without a physical connection, they could put huge solar collectors in orbit and transfer power from orbit - solar in orbit would/could be much more powerful than solar on this side of the atmosphere. Also, I am not good with orbital mechanics, but from what I understand, a satellite orbit can be setup so there is no night, or very little?

The standby transformers are part of a Federal preparedness project. It was started by a Trump EO based on recommendatiuons by the EMP Comission that had been ignored by previous administrations, then temporarily halted by Biden before being restarted. I would expect that they would be stored such that an EMP would not cause damage, like a metal enclosure/building or a Faraday cage. It would not make sense to store them where they would be damaged by the event they are being purchased to mitigate.

We are currently a net exporter due to our bountiful hydro resources. If we replace all our heating, cooking, and transportation with electricity will be still be in that position? What would happen if more environmental pressure causes the decommissioning or reduction of hydro like we saw at the Brownlea Reservoir in Idaho? What will happen when, say, a future President Newsome forces export of powe to California that requires ?cutbacks here?
Thats a LOT of what if. Heating, cooking and transportation? Yup. We export a TON. Like I said I don't believe we will see it in my lifetime (45) but ya never know. But to say rolling backouts/brownouts due to inability to generate enought power to meet demand without some type of catastrophic natural events or catastrophic manmade event is kind of ridiculous. If somt type of EMP took out power generation or "the grid" the same EMP would take out everything that consumes power. Put it in perspective. Average power output of just BPA is around 10,000 megawatts with a max generation ability of around 19,000 megawatts. 10,000 megawats is enough to power 6,000,000 households. Thats BPA alone. I do know BPA has some massive upgrades in the works both substation and transmission to the tune of 5 or so billion dollars over the next 10 years.

:s0153: I'm thinking that unless most (if not all) of the power grid can be hardened to withstand an EMP attack, any replacement equipment will be fried as well when a second one hits. Let's face it, if an enemy is capable of one EMP strike, they'd be capable of more than one. :s0092:

Last Edited:
I do know BPA has some massive upgrades in the works both substation and transmission to the tune of 5 or so billion dollars over the next 10 years.
And I believe the USACE is upgrading their dams too. My neighbor works for the USACE and he often talks about the work he does in this regard - if I am not mistaken (I don't always pay that much attention).

:s0153: I'm thinking that unless most (if not all) of the power grid can be hardened to withstand an EMP attack, any replacement equipment will be fried as well when a second one hits. Let's face it, if an enemy is capable of one EMP strike, they'd be capable of more than one. :s0092:
Assuming they still have that capability after we respond in kind and leave a few additional spots that glow in the dark.

Not sure most electronic equipment is going to run after an EMP strike, maybe older freezers znd fridge. Cell towers would be down and the net would be gone. Most won't be able to make coffee with their smart coffee maker.

Best of all, :D there won't be any possible way to read my doom and gloom bs.:s0140:

Not sure most electronic equipment is going to run after an EMP strike, maybe older freezers znd fridge. Cell towers would be down and the net would be gone. Most won't be able to make coffee with their smart coffee maker.

Best of all, :D there won't be any possible way to read my doom and gloom bs.:s0140:
Comms and power grid will be out or mostly compromised. Your car will start, and if it was running when the EMP happens likwly never even shut down.

We have become so dependant on the power grid that it's estimates there will be a 90% die off in the first two years. Few people have the skills, tools, heirloom seeds, animals, etc., to live like we did just a few generations ago. Those that do will be overwhelmed by those that don't.

This isn't even taking into consideration the loss of other skill sets like blacksmithing, coopering, wheelwrights, leather tanning, etc..These things are all done now (outside a few craft operations) in factories using mechanized equipment and materials/chemicals that would be difficult to make or aquire post EMP. Few today realize how valuable things like urine (leather prep and fertilizer) and tree bark (tannic acid) can be. How many people know what vegetation in their area can be food and what will make you sick and potentially kill you.

None of us are prepared for a one way trip to the 19th Century.

Got me a deep supply of these in case it happens in Winter....

BODY WARMERS.jpg

Comms and power grid will be out or mostly compromised. Your car will start, and if it was running when the EMP happens likwly never even shut down.

We have become so dependant on the power grid that it's estimates there will be a 90% die off in the first two years. Few people have the skills, tools, heirloom seeds, animals, etc., to live like we did just a few generations ago. Those that do will be overwhelmed by those that don't.
This isn't even taking into consideration the loss of other skill sets like blacksmithing, coopering, wheelwrights, leather tanning, etc..These things are all done now (outside a few craft operations) in factories using mechanized equipment and materials/chemicals that would be difficult to make or aquire post EMP. Few today realize how valuable things like urine (leather prep and fertilizer) and tree bark (tannic acid) can be. How many people know what vegetation in their area can be food and what will make you sick and potentially kill you.

None of us are prepared for a one way trip to the 19th Century.
We keep poking the bear and we are going to find out what 19th century life was like.

I'm not sure we'd have to worry about not having electricity if a foreign entity was to set off a 10 megaton warhead 200 miles above the continental US, lol.

Pretty sure that would ensure full mutual destruction for humanity.

Nuclear weapons are kinda like Pringles, once you pop you just can't stop...

We keep poking the bear and we are going to find out what 19th century life was like.
Perhaps.

Or more likely, simply not survive to see such.

Not much folks can do about such occurring, or not occurring.

Obviously folks with those mentioned skills would fare far better (if they survive) & can connect with others whom have the skills they lack…

One thing I see about these precautionary shut-downs is that they will be less selective than they should be. Here is why.

The shut-downs will be accomplished using remote control systems. These systems are expensive enough that they will only be placed on feeder connections that supply fairly large areas where population density is lower. In order to shut down vulnerable lines, many other lines will be shut down unnecessarily.

The power companies are limiting their liability, at the expense of innocent ratepayers who will not be endangered, by cutting off power un-selectively. They are seeking to reduce cost related to reliability, and also the cost of infrastructure to accomplish this in a truly selective manner.

Bring together Big Government, Big Business, and Lawyers, stir, and you get an expensive, screwed-up mess! :rolleyes:

The part that REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y, pisses me off is when the city, County, STATE issues a "limit your power consumption during peak hours" demand, as if that's going to make things better or not over load the grid! Ah, yea, imma get right on that chif, and phuck you for asking! Imma gonna crank the A/C to max, crank up the big screen and surround sound, the pop corn machine, and anything else that draws power, if the grid goes down, I certainly did my part, Phuck Off! THIS is how seniors end up dead, they dutifully follow and end up having heat stroke like two of our neighbors here the last several days, they wouldn't have died if they had ignored the ijiots running this popcycle stand of a state and kept their A/C turned on and running cool, but NOPE, and now their dead! Kotex wanna make a stink, come at me biotch, ima show ya a good time!
Hey, be careful…. she's a butchy looking, labeshian who talks with that fake put-on low-toned "man-voice"… she'll kick yer arse!

:s0140:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top