Reactions
The article was about a data center purchasing generators. Like I said not really news. Blackouts here in the NW won't be a "thing" in my lifetime. Loss of power from a catastrophic event caused by mother nature? Yup. Same chance as it always has been. Cutting your power because of extreme fire potential? Yup! Get ready for that as the local utilities seem to be not wanting to follow in the footsteps of other utilities like SDGE and PG&E. If you think somehow here in the NW we are somehow going see rolling blackouts from a lack of generation, well thats not gonna happen as long as the dams continue to spill water.
My bad, I was unaware of the Irish servers here in the NW.

Reactions
My bad, I thought this thread was about NERC and I didn't know anyone here really cared what a foreign country did that didn't affect the US?

Doesn’t affect the Us? We have sold much of our fuel reserves.
Fuel Reserves
I wonder who we are selling them to?

PSE trades/sells/buys electricity from other utility sources. Approximately 1/3rd comes from hydroelectric. We also have coal and NG in the mix.
Our Diversified Electricity Supply

Woke politics are the cudgel by which a certain agenda is being played out. This is why they have the bleak forecast on the other side of the pond. They are being told to take one for the team.

Do you really think they won’t try the same thing here by limiting coal and NG? They already have crime, inflation, supply chain issues and a slew of other things going the way they want here.

I’ll say it again - shortsighted.

Reactions
I think there in lies some boundaries between "reasonable use" vs. "wanton and excessive abuse of resources". IE., Driving to and from work is "reasonable use" of fuel while everyone leaving their vehicles running overnight in their garages would likely be considered "wasteful" and pointless, right?
Very few people could afford to do such. Let the market rule.

Reactions
I know where our power comes from and the general mix. Why do you think PSE is able to sell energy? Because they generate excess. Hydro is one of the lowest cost of production that exists. PSE buys energy at a lower cost from BPA then in turn sells the extra capacity that they can generate to the South for a premium just like almost every utilit that actually generates power. As for coal the plant in Montana, Colstrip it is one of the last here in the NW and is owned by several utilities. It has is already shup down two of the four generation units. PSE, PPL, PGE and Vista actually use very little power anymore from it.

Like I said if the dams flow so will the power here in the NW. Its one thing to be prepared is a totally different running around like a chicken with your head cut off screaming the sky is falling.

Reactions
I know where our power comes from and the general mix. Why do you think PSE is able to sell energy? Because they generate excess. Hydro is one of the lowest cost of production that exists. PSE buys energy at a lower cost from BPA then in turn sells the extra capacity that they can generate to the South for a premium just like almost every utilit that actually generates power. As for coal the plant in Montana, Colstrip it is one of the last here in the NW and is owned by several utilities. It has is already shup down two of the four generation units. PSE, PPL, PGE and Vista actually use very little power anymore from it.

Like I said if the dams flow so will the power here in the NW. Its one thing to be prepared is a totally different running around like a chicken with your head cut off screaming the sky is falling.
Now I am “screaming the sky is falling”. I never said I thought the PNW would have blackouts. I essentially said the news over there is still a barometer of sorts in the grand scheme of things. I guess you don’t buy into the overarching agenda at play around the globe.

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top