JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is an informational message from Yamhill County Alerts

Do you live in one of the shaded areas in the maps below? If you do, you may be subject to a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS). A PSPS is a safety measure designed to help protect communities in high fire-risk areas by proactively shutting off electricity during extreme and dangerous weather conditions that might cause the electricity system to spark wildfires.

While we don't know if any of the areas in Yamhill County will be affected this year, it is good to be prepared in the event power is shut off.

If you don't live in one of the shaded areas, it is still a good time to prepare for power outages.

RTFImage_64c42979d8928e3160eda410.jpg
PGE Service Area

RTFImage_64c42996d8928e3160eda411.jpg
McMinnville Water and Light Service Area

Take a look at the information below. The time spent on preparing now can alleviate some of the stress that comes with unforeseen power outages. If you rely on powered medical equipment (oxygen generators, CPAP/BIPAP, dialysis machines, etc…), start making plans now and/or contact your medical provider or equipment supplier for assistance on how best to prepare.

Information (with maps)

Portland General Wildfire Outages and PSPS page:

Portland General PSPS and Wildfire

McMinnville Water and Light Prepare for Outages page:

McMinnville Water and Light Outage Preparedness

McMinnville Water and Light Outage Updates

PGE sent out another email begging us to conserve electricity since our demand is putting too much stress on the grid. Meanwhile they want us to switch over everything else to run on electricity. Makes sense to me. :confused:

It's 100 degrees here right now. If the power goes off it's going to get uncomfortable for a lot of people.

Imagine, $32 trillion in debt yet our infrastructure sucks, where did the money go?

Don't worry, Just buy an electric car. And when it's plugged in, they will suck the juice out of it to stabilize the grid. What a con EVs are, start to finish!. You won't be going anywhere without permission.

Don't worry, Just buy an electric car. And when it's plugged in, they will suck the juice out of it to stabilize the grid. What a con EVs are, start to finish!. You won't be going anywhere without permission.

That's so absurd I had to actually laugh out loud.

It's also quite disturbing that those folks think such, AND think such as perfectly fine/normal/reasonable.

Sigh…

Meanwhile, Eugene tells it's residents not to plug in their electric cars during the heatwave in order to conserve electricity, because their supplemental power generator is down and the grid can't support the load of all the A/C units and EVs without the potential of rolling blackouts. So they are buying electricity from neighboring power companies at ridiculous rates.
Our business has already experienced two blackouts and a brown out in the last 24 hours and we aren't in Eugene.

The power company has already stated that they don't have the capacity to serve more than 3 Tesla charging stations in one neighborhood. But, yeah... Brandon says buy more EVs.

Meanwhile, Eugene tells it's residents not to plug in their electric cars during the heatwave in order to conserve electricity, because their supplemental power generator is down and the grid can't support the load of all the A/C units and EVs without the potential of rolling blackouts. So they are buying electricity from neighboring power companies at ridiculous rates.
Our business has already experienced two blackouts and a brown out in the last 24 hours and we aren't in Eugene.

The power company has already stated that they don't have the capacity to serve more than 3 Tesla charging stations in one neighborhood. But, yeah... Brandon says buy more EVs.
Saving the planet involves sacrifice, dontcha know.

The best part of this is the people voting for this hear them telling them we are in a crunch for power, and in the next breath telling them to buy electric cars and no more gas appliances, then nod their head and vote for more. Amazing to watch lemming in their natural state. :(

The future they are counting on is fusion reactors, especially if they can have small reactors local to the loads.

An AC window unit consumes 500W-1KW - I have two plugged in and running 24/7 right now with local temps at 100*F. During the winter, if I use my electric furnace, it consumes up to 10KW when it comes on and my power consumption increases by 2-3X vs. summertime. Much easier to keep my home cool than it is to keep it warm. Maybe it is my confirmation bias, but I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area.

The future they are counting on is fusion reactors, especially if they can have small reactors local to the loads.

An AC window unit consumes 500W-1KW - I have two plugged in and running 24/7 right now with local temps at 100*F. During the winter, if I use my electric furnace, it consumes up to 10KW when it comes on and my power consumption increases by 2-3X vs. summertime. Much easier to keep my home cool than it is to keep it warm. Maybe it is my confirmation bias, but I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area.
More available energy sources to heat, than there are to cool.

"I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area."

In the winter there is usually enough runoff to keep the hydroelectric generation at full capacity. That is the difference.

"I don't recall power shortage warning during the winters in my area."

In the winter there is usually enough runoff to keep the hydroelectric generation at full capacity. That is the difference.
In my experience (having actually spent time on the waters of the Columbia behind the dams), the largest amount of runoff happens in the spring. During the winter they let the reservoirs drain down so that there is room for the spring melt.

More available energy sources to heat, than there are to cool.
That is true, but it would be interesting to see a breakout, and a comparison of electricity usage in the summer vs. winter.

1692235245319.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews