JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A well known custom gun maker out of Forest Grove said of the Mosin....
"There's no place to mount a scope !"

With all the surplus Mausers gone, this is what's left.
Maybe there's a reason that these are left ?

best-scopes-for-mosin-nagant.jpg

Might be fun to shoot in military dress, but no candidate for a custom rig IMO.

Last Edited:
Whether you'll like it depends on what you expect and what you appreciate. A friend of mine bought one years ago when Big 5 had them for $49. He absolutely despised it.

He's a hunter with no appreciation for history. If it's not a good hunting rifle it's scrap metal. Compared to his Remington 700 the Mosin Nagant is heavy, clunky, and inaccurate.

At one time I had 9 of them myself. I like them a lot. My first one I bought over 25 years ago, it's dated 1897. I would have trouble paying $400 for one though, unless it was something special. It would have to be really nice.

I've seen a fair amount of hate for them on this site, probably from people like my friend who expect them to be something they aren't.

They really are a "heavy, clunky old rifle", but they're also a solid old warhorse with a ton of history.

First thing, thanks for the good input, everyone.

I own one, not a Hungarian, mind you, but a Mosin. They are fun, if not somewhat punishing, to shoot. Never fails to get noticed at the range. Nice to own a piece of history that you can enjoy shooting.

Consider a butt pad, just to help save your shoulder. Mine kicks more than my 12 gauge. Not awful, but gets uncomfortable after a while.

Dude! I'm not one to like anything "Somewhat Punishing" And certainly not going to get anything that I need a pad for "To save my shoulder"! I'm not really a wussy, just don't care for recoil if I can do without. Heck, I would MUCH rather shoot .38sp than .357 mag out of my Winchester 94. And I'll be reloading something between the two for it.

The 54R is comparable to a 30-06, and it has a steel butt plate made for cracking skulls, so it's not exactly comfortable to shoot. I shoot mine with gas checked, powder coated cast bullets, loaded to around 7.62x39 specs. That makes for an inexpensive load that's fun to shoot.

I don't find the recoil to be much of a bother even with a steel plate. The wasr has a steel plate, as does the mauser.

But... Some folks are different. You may not find it to be much either, never know till ya try it.

I've had a couple. They're fun to shoot. Most of the points have already been covered. They do kick a bit but not horrible. Honestly, they aren't a rifle you'll likely take out and run 100 rounds through at a time so I wouldn't let that deter you. If you want one, get one. Even though millions and millions were produced, they aren't being made any more so if you don't pay way to much you can't get hurt if you decide to sell it. Nice examples of rarer models will be a safe investment.

First thing, thanks for the good input, everyone.

Dude! I'm not one to like anything "Somewhat Punishing" And certainly not going to get anything that I need a pad for "To save my shoulder"! I'm not really a wussy, just don't care for recoil if I can do without. Heck, I would MUCH rather shoot .38sp than .357 mag out of my Winchester 94. And I'll be reloading something between the two for it.

Yes, loading your own, and loading down, may make it more fun to shoot a lot of rounds. They really are fun guns to shoot.

I've got a Hungarian I picked up 10 years or so ago when they were a little more $ than the Russian ones, it's a cool piece of history and the previous owner must have done a little work to it because the action is much smoother than the RUs i've shot, iv'e never seen one with a matching bolt.

Their fun to shoot and built to last.

$389 starting bid on the one you referenced on GB?

I'd like to think mine is worth that but not surprised it had no bids :D

I had to own one. I bought an M44 from a friend for $100 and after a really stupid mistake wanted to get rid of it, so I gave it to one of my best friends (back when you could just gift guns to people). Regret set in immediately. I scoured the internet to find another M44 and couldn't find one for a half reasonable price. I settled for a thrashed T53. I have since sourced an M44 stock and I am in the process of refurbishing this piece of history back into something respectable (by my standards, sorry to all you purists).

Find one, buy one, shoot it, don't ever sell it. They are fun, cheap, and classic.

The longest serving military turnbolt in history - what's not to like?

A pal of mine in Germany has had an Accuracy International AW re-barrelled to shoot the 7.62x54R with 200gr bullets......it's a certified 1200 yard gong-ringer.

tac

If i'm going to spend nearly $400 on a rifle, it's going to be an Enfield or Mauser...
Mosins are generally cheap rifles, and are known for being poorly made. You can probably find good ones, as with any firearm. Hungary probably made good Mosins, but that's speculative.
I would also rather buy an SKS for $400, or even $600...
Like what was said, it's worse to fret over not buying something you want, than it is to fret over buying something you thought you wanted and don't like.

I also know they've killed a lot of Nazis and "go-along" German soldiers, which is pretty cool in my book.

Unsophisticated, sure, but poorly-made? I don't think so. No frills, for sure, but an old clunker I get to shoot every now and then, made in 1938, has one of the shiniest barrels you'll ever see, and still puts PPU stuff into less than three inches all day long when shot off the elbows, as it should be.

Don't confuse shabby with shoddy.

tac

Yeah, they are more shabby than shoddy... poor man's rifle and all. LOL
I believe some contracts produced better Mosins, but in fewer numbers. I would consider a Hungarian Mosin to be better than the majority of Russian Mosins.
I've also been called a blasphemer by my father for saying the Kar98 was a better rifle than an SMLE.
To me, a Mosin will always be that $79 rifle at Big 5...
I would buy several for $100!

I have owned several Mosins. Fun to shoot clunky old bolt compared
to a Mauser, K31,03....I have shot them in Vintage rifle matches.
My shoulder was sore a bit after 80 rounds plus sighters. I had several
spam cans of 'light ball'. That M44 throws an incredible fireball. You
could roast marshmallows on the side folding bayonet.:eek: The Finish Mosins
are considered the best shooters. Windage adjustment on the front sight with the Finish.
DSC00097.JPG
DSC00101.JPG

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class