JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just for the heck of it! Would like to scope a M96 Swedish Mauser with a Bad Ace mount that uses the rear sight base, W/flip up pin removed, for mounting the Bad Ace. The scope needs to have around a 9" eye relief. I was asking a guy at Northwest Armory, who wasn't busy at the time, about long eye relief Scout Scopes. His claim was they are phasing out those scopes and that they are prone to breakage, or having the innards messed up, from recoil. I'm not sure I want to put $300.00+ into a scope though. I WAS hoping for something under $200.

https://www.badacetactical.com/products/swedish-mauser-m38-m96-ler-scout-mount

I have a few older (their 1st issuance) cheap NCStar scout scopes mounted on some Yugo Mausers free floated in Boyd's stocks. I have had no issues with them. They are used for hunting and hit a 10" plate at 300 yards no problem. They track and adjust fine. Not Leopolds, but I don't really need that kind of extra quality. Don't know what they are like now, but their original stuff wasn't complete garbage.

I have an UltiMAK mount on an M1 Garand with a Burris 2-7 X 32 Scout Scope. This set-up works well for the Garand. I don't know why Scout scopes would be any more prone to breakage than a scope mounted over the action. Both are still going to be subject to recoil. I have a Bad Ace Scope mount (not a scout scope mount) on a 1917 Eddystone Enfield. The Bad Ace mount is very well built. Burris makes a single power scout scope that is less expensive than the variable. I think Vortex and Leupold also makes scout scopes with the long eye releif.

This is what I have.. great scope but they are discontinued.

Screenshot_20230309_093753_Chrome.jpg

@Mikej
I have a NCStar like @Xaevian suggested that you're welcome to borrow.NNot sure about its eye relief.
Also have a Leopold VX2 scout that I love and you can borrow to try.
Also have a UTG Scout that I haven't used in years that you can try. A great scope, but it's heavy for a scout scope.

I have a few older (their 1st issuance) cheap NCStar scout scopes mounted on some Yugo Mausers free floated in Boyd's stocks. I have had no issues with them. They are used for hunting and hit a 10" plate at 300 yards no problem. They track and adjust fine. Not Leopolds, but I don't really need that kind of extra quality. Don't know what they are like now, but their original stuff wasn't complete garbage.
"NC Star" the scope I bought for my AR back just after Sandy Hook with al the talk of "Assault Weapon BAN" Didn't realize a scope was supposed to cost $200.00+! :s0114:

As recommended ,there's no point in getting high power in a long eye relief scope. 4X is max, and that's all I'd need. I'd like to be able to shoot a 100 yards
I don't know why Scout scopes would be any more prone to breakage than a scope mounted over the action. Both are still going to be subject to recoil.
This is the question I had? The "kid" at the counter looked to be in his 30s. Maybe.
@Mikej
I have a NCStar like @Xaevian suggested that you're welcome to borrow.NNot sure about its eye relief.
Also have a UTG Scout that I haven't used in years that you can try. A great scope, but it's heavy for a scout scope.
If you had shot that NC Star and it held together, I'd just get me one. Googled NC Star and a 2-7x is only $90.00 and $79.00? Seems wrong?

Also..

That 8"-10" eye relief is right on. Kit for a mere $9.00 comes with rings.

@Mikej
I really appreciate that offer Jim. Thanks.

If it is the only mounting option. Ok.

Otherwise I really do not get the concept at all.

With the old Milsurp rifles, there is no drilling and tapping. You can mount a scope by removing the rear sight and bolting on the scout scope mount. The rifle can be put back to original configuration and no scope mount holes.

Vortex is pretty good.

I'd buy a Simmons before I'd by an NcStar. Simmons is owned by Bushnell and they have a fantastic warrantee.

I have a Simmons pistol scope that I used briefly as a scout type setup. Works fine, $125 iirc. It was in disco bin when I bought it tho
I have an old Weaver 1-3X scope that is super clear and sharp, and has about 6" of eye relief. It's super compact. Bought it new for less than $200. They don't make that one anymore either. I've used it on rifles and shotguns for 0 to 200 yards and it's been great. Super rugged too.

If it is the only mounting option. Ok.

Otherwise I really do not get the concept at all.
As said above, no drilling on a 106 YO rifle. And if not the straight bolt handle interfering, then the ejection with a scope on is an issue. There are also mounts that pin to the rear sight that come all the way back too.

Kind of a pain to go through all that. But I have two of these rifles. The other 1902 M96 Swede is what some call a M96/38. Those rifles were brought back to Husqvarna in 1938 and shortened the barrels 5", and got a sight change to accommodate different ammo. I would really like to reach out further than 50-65 yards, so the scope would be the only way I could "See". :D To do that.
1678466925011.png

Small variety of ler scopes. I have an old Redfield on my 223 contender.
All the pistol scopes seem to be in the 20" eye relief range. I'm needing 9+/-".

I have a Simmons pistol scope that I used briefly as a scout type setup. Works fine, $125 iirc. It was in disco bin when I bought it tho
Refer to the above.

The NC Star I was looking at is on that list as best budget scope. In looking at that NCStar it looks like the rings, cheap rings at 7bucks, that come with it might be too tall? Seems like I'd want to keep the scope as close to the rear sight height as possible?
1678467383778.png

Appreciate this input guys. thanks.

Here's my m38 Swedish, Burris scout scope. You need a cheek riser if you do this. I put a 2lb Dayton Traister trigger on my rifle. Still working up an accurate load; will be trying H4831 and 160's next. It didn't like the 140's and H4350 like my ManBun does.

4BE0AC25-5027-44DD-835F-655F8C310946.jpeg

Here's my m38 Swedish, Burris scout scope. You need a cheek riser if you do this. I put a 2lb Dayton Traister trigger on my rifle. Still working up an accurate load; will be trying H4831 and 160's next. It didn't like the 140's and H4350 like my ManBun does.

View attachment 1380791
Very nice. Holy carp! I was under the impression Burris wasn't top tier. I wish I could bring myself to spent that kind of money.
It looking like I will have to have a cheek riser? Curious what cheek rise might be recommended. From a quick search, I may be getting priced out of this endeavor!

Just for the heck of it! Would like to scope a M96 Swedish Mauser with a Bad Ace mount that uses the rear sight base, W/flip up pin removed, for mounting the Bad Ace. The scope needs to have around a 9" eye relief. I was asking a guy at Northwest Armory, who wasn't busy at the time, about long eye relief Scout Scopes. His claim was they are phasing out those scopes and that they are prone to breakage, or having the innards messed up, from recoil. I'm not sure I want to put $300.00+ into a scope though. I WAS hoping for something under $200.

https://www.badacetactical.com/products/swedish-mauser-m38-m96-ler-scout-mount

This is what I have on my 91/30 Mosin, can get 2/4 inch groups out to about 200 yards, I think with better eyes easy to 300 yards. It was cheap, I bought it for like 90$$, it was a bit of a pain to mount , but works like a dream more then 300 rounds with it on. Tagged a few hogs with it a few years back.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top