JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Starting Jan.1st, the latest, new restrictions on gun transfers took effect. I've been going out on my normal rounds in my area, seeing what's going on. I have a beat in the north Puget Sound area that I stick to, so this isn't universal throughout the state by any means. But it my mind, what I'm experiencing are clues to how the new laws are settling in.

Gun dealers that I visit seem to have quite a few more guns available to sell. Some of the same stores I go into were pretty bare 18 months ago. Shops that take consignment guns have lots of them. I think this is a natural thing, because those new laws that I mentioned made it more of a hassle for private sellers. So selling on consignment at a dealer is one of the remaining viable options. Another observation, the price has to be right because I'm seeing some linger that are priced at Gunbroker levels. Especially since buyers seem to be fewer, for the moment. See last paragraph.

Selling on consignment at a dealer may be a brief option, considering the new security requirements that our state legislature just ladled out this session. Which takes effect July 1, 2025, if I read the story right. So dealers have less than a year and a half to comply. It is posited that many lesser FFL dealers will fold, rather than comply. Which will reduce the venues for consignment sale. Larger FFL dealers who remain, like Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, (in this region) maybe Skagit Guns, do not at this time take consignment sales. It cuts into their sales of new guns.

As a result of the new hassles for buyers, many have quit buying. A sentiment that I've heard a lot from people I've spoken to. I'm getting the idea that this period between now and July 1, 2024 may be a golden era to buy guns here in Wash. If you can stand the hassle. Just know that what you are buying now will be all that much more difficult to sell later, should you want to.

I talked to one FFL on Friday here in Spokane. He said that as a result of HB2118, he had to do some not insignificant upgrading to his already existing infrastructure to stay in business but intended to comply and keep selling guns and being in the business. I would encourage everyone who has some skin in the game of 2A and a good gun hobby to stay out of the pawn shops and the big box stores like Cabella's and shop small and local. I think you might pay a bit more but you will probably be rewarded some time for your loyalty to a family or person instead of a corporation. The Corporation will turn on you and drop you and guns the minute its not very profitable.

stay out of the pawn shops and the big box stores like Cabella's and shop small and local. I think you might pay a bit more but you will probably be rewarded some time for your loyalty
Good point in part. I say this because some pawn shops are good places for guns. The shop where I've done quite a bit of business over the years is a pawn shop, but 95% of his business is guns. Basically, he's evolved from straight pawn business to gun shop. He's very popular in the region and very fair. And, a wonderful venue for consignment purchases.

The big box stores, yes, not where I prefer to do business. One problem there, however, is that there aren't many smaller shops remaining in my area.

Still see lots of firearms for sale in the local shops.
Ammo selection is still pretty good as well....still have sticker shock over some prices..

Buying firearms either new or used from a dealer and especially private party is huge PITA nowadays.
For a new or used firearm from a dealer...a firearm would have to "tick all the boxes" for me , in order for me to buy it.
As for private party...buying a firearm that way legally ...again a huge hassle and "ticking all the boxes" would have to be met.

I miss the days of a no BGC for private party sales.

Just an observation....
I think that all the new dumbazz gun laws here in Washington have created more so called "criminals" out of otherwise law abiding folks.
As in gun owners who do their best to be law abiding...but , for whatever reason...wish to do as they please when buying or selling their own firearms.
Andy

I have suspected that selling on consignment would become the "go to" for those who want to sell now. If the new laws go in suspect that a lot of shops will have to just give up. I keep hoping a LOT more gun owners will wake the hell up and start voting well. :mad:

I have suspected that selling on consignment would become the "go to" for those who want to sell now. If the new laws go in suspect that a lot of shops will have to just give up. I keep hoping a LOT more gun owners will wake the hell up and start voting well. :mad:
Selling via consignment has been my go to for a while now. Just so much easier to give the FFL a cut to do the legwork and open up an immediate spot in my safe

Hopefully shops can stay open so buyers and sellers can at least continue to connect legally

Just an observation....
I think that all the new dumbazz gun laws here in Washington have created more so called "criminals" out of otherwise law abiding folks.
As in gun owners who do their best to be law abiding...but , for whatever reason...wish to do as they please when buying or selling their own firearms.
Andy
The folks operating prisons on behalf of corrupt government have to replace the drug related criminals with somebody - anybody - to stay profitable. If we're going to say that illicit drugs are now legal, somebody else has to go to prison in their place, right? Just a quickly thought up hypothesis...

The folks operating prisons on behalf of corrupt government have to replace the drug related criminals with somebody - anybody - to stay profitable. If we're going to say that illicit drugs are now legal, somebody else has to go to prison in their place, right? Just a quickly thought up hypothesis...
Oh Oh OH! I know, let's put the PEDOS in there! Fill up the empty cells right quick, too. Then they can fill up eachother

Starting Jan.1st, the latest, new restrictions on gun transfers took effect. I've been going out on my normal rounds in my area, seeing what's going on. I have a beat in the north Puget Sound area that I stick to, so this isn't universal throughout the state by any means. But it my mind, what I'm experiencing are clues to how the new laws are settling in.

Gun dealers that I visit seem to have quite a few more guns available to sell. Some of the same stores I go into were pretty bare 18 months ago. Shops that take consignment guns have lots of them. I think this is a natural thing, because those new laws that I mentioned made it more of a hassle for private sellers. So selling on consignment at a dealer is one of the remaining viable options. Another observation, the price has to be right because I'm seeing some linger that are priced at Gunbroker levels. Especially since buyers seem to be fewer, for the moment. See last paragraph.

Selling on consignment at a dealer may be a brief option, considering the new security requirements that our state legislature just ladled out this session. Which takes effect July 1, 2025, if I read the story right. So dealers have less than a year and a half to comply. It is posited that many lesser FFL dealers will fold, rather than comply. Which will reduce the venues for consignment sale. Larger FFL dealers who remain, like Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, (in this region) maybe Skagit Guns, do not at this time take consignment sales. It cuts into their sales of new guns.

As a result of the new hassles for buyers, many have quit buying. A sentiment that I've heard a lot from people I've spoken to. I'm getting the idea that this period between now and July 1, 2024 may be a golden era to buy guns here in Wash. If you can stand the hassle. Just know that what you are buying now will be all that much more difficult to sell later, should you want to.

Washington elites be like….

IMG_2108.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews