JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Particularly a Hungarian Mosin Nagant.
Hungary's Mosin Nagants

In the AK vs AR accuracy thread I'd mentioned I went for the Polish AK because it was close to Hungry, and I'm half Hungarian.
There happens to be one on Gun Broker currently that appears to have the proper markings of a Hungarian Mosin. And looks to be in proper condition for it's age.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/727937699

I find myself attracted to this rifle, especially because of it being made in Hungary. Depending what the owners of these rifle say here it may be my next purchase. Or even non-owners for that matter. I haven't even looked at what it eats yet! :confused: Okay, 7.62 X 54R.....Looks a little expensive compared to feeding an AK, and the less expensive rounds seem to be out of sock most place I looked. I'm not in any particular hurry. It doesn't appear that these will run out for as many as have been made any time soon either.

The 7.62x54R cartridge is probably THE most prolific centre-fire small arms cartridge on the planet. Good quality milsurp abounds on your side of the 'pond' - Cheaper than dirt is a good place to start looking, providing you don't want to reload [the case is lacquered steel].

PPU makes high quality ammunition that exactly duplicates the 'flashy' service round. In a carbine it can be very illuminating.:D

A 7.62x54R patron valószínűleg a legtermékenyebb középpont kis kézi karpatron a bolygón. A 'tó' oldalán jó minõségû serpenyõ bõséges. A 'Cheaper-than-dirt' jó kiindulópont a keresésre, feltéve, hogy nem akarja újratölteni (a ház lakkozott acél).

A PPU kiváló minőségű lőszereket készít, amelyek pontosan megismétlik a 'csillogó' szolgáltatást. Egy karabinerben nagyon világító lehet.:D

tac

Since they don't really bring in much of the surplus ammo anymore I'd say Mosins sort of lost all their fun. I recall buying a few crates (880 rounds) way back when for 80-100 dollars a piece. Now only certain types of ammo are available and they prices are on par with 223 or even 308.

Other than that the rifles themselves are extremely enjoyable to shoot. Stupid simple operation and design makes for a easy system to operate. Accuracy is pretty reasonable.

However, in my opinion I enjoyed blasting away with my past Mosins because I was able to shoot 100-400 rounds in an outing and not feel too horribly bad that I've just waisted my months income or similar.

Looking at a couple of web sites and it looks like they used to be really inexpensive.....Like $100.00-$150.00, back in 2006. Is $400.00 just crazy, dumb expensive for a gun like the one in the link?

Looking at a couple of web sites and it looks like they used to be really inexpensive.....Like $100.00-$150.00, back in 2006. Is $400.00 just crazy, dumb expensive for a gun like the one in the link?
Last time I bought a mosin was 5 or 6 years ago on Black Friday. I bought 3 at $75 a piece.

No. The prices increased on surplus rifles. Its what happens as surplus dries up.

Mike you might be interested in trying to find a PA63. They brought those into the US not too long ago for fairly cheap.

Should satisfy your Hungarian craving a little less expensively.

After the war, several nations built the M44 carbine on Russian tooling, if memory serves. Production went on through the 1950's and possibly early 60's, which makes them the "newest" Mosins around.

In 2005, I bought an M44 with a cracked stock from Big 5 for $49. I find it heartbreaking how the price has gone up. They are really fun to shoot, but they're not worth $400 IMO, except maybe as a collectible.

Hello,

The Mosin-Nagant is a strong, potentially accurate rifle. It suffers from poor stock fit and, in refurbished models, unfitted parts.

A proper Mosin-Nagant should operate easily, about like a Mauser in both bolt action and loading via stripper clip. It should hold around 2.5moa or better with good ammo -- generally not surplus, though the Czech stuff is generally very good.

They usually print high because most were sighted in with he bayonets affixed. Take the bayonet off, and barrel harmonics change. Though I've not found specific reference to sighting with bayonet affixed, it's demonstrable that this is how it must have been done due to the way most print and also due to the fact that Russian military doctrine called for an affixed bayonet all the time. (Bayonet frogs generally weren't even issued.)

Regards,

Josh Smith
Smith-Sights.com

Its funny cause gun commandos behind the counter think the Russkies never used the bayonets on their rifles. The same gun commandos who also say the PSL also does not have a bayonet lug, when it does have one. Except the ones with the 922r BS.

Here in yUK the buyer is expected to know as much, or more, than the guy behind the counter about the gun he or she would like to acquire and possess. That's because of all the study we have to do to make up our minds before we can APPLY for a gun we'd like.

If you live in the county of Essex, that can take 42 weeks before you get your resplone.

Stop grumblin'.

tac

964826_mosin-nagant-m38-bolt-action-7-62-mm-rifles_img_1513599188.jpg
5 photos
Mosin Nagant M38 Bolt Action 7.62 mm Rifles
CategoryRifles
SubcategoryBolt Action
MakeMosin Nagant
Calibre7.62 mm
ModelM38
Mechanism -
Mosin Nagant M38 Carbine 7. 62 x 54R Manufactured 1943 in the Izhevsk Plant in the USSR. 5 ...
£ 300

Here in yUK the buyer is expected to know as much, or more, than the guy behind the counter about the gun he or she would like to acquire and possess. That's because of all the study we have to do to make up our minds before we can APPLY for a gun we'd like.

If you live in the county of Essex, that can take 42 weeks before you get your resplone.

Stop grumblin'.

tac
Too many people here assume that because you work at a gun shop it means you know a lot about them.

Its inane. And there's enough proof that they don't if people were to just do their research.

I think 762x54 is getting harder to find mostly due to them having to feed all them RPKs over in Syria and Iraq. It might get better when those conflicts wind down.

Last Edited:
I own one, not a Hungarian, mind you, but a Mosin. They are fun, if not somewhat punishing, to shoot. Never fails to get noticed at the range. Nice to own a piece of history that you can enjoy shooting.

Consider a butt pad, just to help save your shoulder. Mine kicks more than my 12 gauge. Not awful, but gets uncomfortable after a while.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top