JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Walk The Talk America (WTTA) is a pro gun org thats attempting to bridge the gap between gun ownership and mental health issues. They conducted [an informal] study this year and the results are in. I'm still reading the results, but it seems like most gun owners make efforts to secure their guns from unauthorized access regardless of safe storage laws. And gun owners seem to be on the fence about getting mental healthcare.

I'm curious what gun owners here on this forum feel about getting mental health care as a gun owner?

Walk The Talk America (WTTA) is a pro gun org thats attempting to bridge the gap between gun ownership and mental health issues. They conducted [an informal] study this year and the results are in. I'm still reading the results, but it seems like most gun owners make efforts to secure their guns from unauthorized access regardless of safe storage laws. And gun owners seem to be on the fence about getting mental healthcare.

I'm curious what gun owners here on this forum feel about getting mental health care as a gun owner?

Mental healthcare has been turned into a poison pill for most gun owners. I agree that is should be something we all take seriously, but the professional side of mental healthcare has been turned against us to the point where even seeking help for benign issues can land people in hot water. This leaves all of us with either nothing or with only informal help from our circle of family and friends.

You want my advice? Join a good (not liberal) church and utilize that support network for better mental health. Organized religion has been providing this service for a millennia and we know the system works. Just make sure you stay out of the cults and twisted institutions, as something that works to promote good mental health can really ruin it if abused.

Mental healthcare has been turned into a poison pill for most gun owners. I agree that is should be something we all take seriously, but the professional side of mental healthcare has been turned against us to the point where even seeking help for benign issues can land people in hot water. This leaves all of us with either nothing or with only informal help from our circle of family and friends.
I tend to agree with this, because America treats "gun violence" as a public health issue which is a political bias in itself.

Last Edited:

You want my advice? Join a good (not liberal) church and utilize that support network for better mental health. Organized religion has been providing this service for a millennia and we know the system works. Just make sure you stay out of the cults and twisted institutions, as something that works to promote good mental health can really ruin it if abused.
I'd argue they're all cults, but nothing beats socializing at a good potluck in the church basement. Those old church ladies know how to make a good cup of coffee, too.

I tend to agree with this, because America treats "gun violence" as a public health issue which is a political bias in iteself.
Yeah, I always point out that the tool used is irrelevant. Violence is violence, what matters is the reason. Most of our violent crime today stems from the drug trade, and is perpetrated by gangs. If we eliminated this demographic from consideration our violent crime rate is comparable or lower to that of historic Western Europe and far far below contemporary Europe (what with their influx of violent minded immigrants who do not wish to integrate with their adoptive culture).

Trying to classify violence based on tools, and more specifically on only one specific tool, is pure political posturing. It has nothing to do with trying to find root-cause solutions and everything to do with pushing a preferred political agenda.

I'd argue they're all cults, but nothing beats socializing at a good potluck in the church basement. Those old church ladies know how to make a good cup of coffee, too.
The problem with relying on other structures, like ones built around hobbies and other mono-topical organizations, is there is not the impetus share deeper issues not connected to that topic. Even here our discussion revolve around the hobby and its issues and it takes a fair bit of effort to connect on deeper issues more closely related to mental health. That typically takes the building of deeper friendships and connections built more tightly than on just the topical level.

Organized religion, on the other hand, make such connections easy(ier) because by and large that is the actual focus of the organization. Even from a purely secular perspective "get right with God" can be construed as "get right with yourself in your own head", which is itself a fundamental tenet of good mental health. When the focus of the organization is on internal issues those necessary connections are built by default, and that is what makes the system so effective.

An individual deemed mentally impaired to the point of being barred from firearms should be also deemed a danger to themselves and others. Such a person should be confined in a jail or mental institution to protect the sane ones.

I think that if the stigma of mental health were taken away....
Along with the perceived and or real threat of losing one's firearm Rights , just for seeking help were also sent by the wayside....
More folks would be inclined to get the help they need.

Like most things...a balance is needed...along with oversight to keep abuses from happening.
Andy

Cults, LOL. They form good family values and structure to lead a productive lifestyle. I figured you would be right there cooking with the old ladies with how good you are at stirring pots everywhere! We love having you here and accept you how you are! :D

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh...
So the quote goes by Robert A. Heinlein.

I agree with the above ...However....
It is not good to mock or belittle another man's theology.
If they are getting something positive from it...and it does them and no one else any harm....
Let it be....quoth The Beatles....:D
Andy

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh...
So the quote goes by Robert A. Heinlein.

I agree with the above however....
It is not good to mock or belittle another man's theology.
If they are getting something positive from it...and it does them and no one else any harm....
Let it be....quoth The Beatles....:D
Andy
No offense intended, I'm a member of one of those groups (the one with the best hotdish). Though I may not entirely agree with them or share some of their beliefs, the social aspect is truly something special. Religion is the cause of much hatred between humans but, on the flipside, a source of community and friendship. Caveat emptor.

No offense intended, I'm a member of one of those groups (the one with the best hotdish). Though I may not entirely agree with them or share some of their beliefs, the social aspect is truly something special. Religion is the cause of much hatred between humans but, on the flipside, a source of community and friendship. Caveat emptor.
"Religion is the cause"...Or is it man's interpretation of it / use of it for personal gain...?
In any event....
I hope to go to Valhalla when I die.....but I digress.... :D

OP......sorry for the thread drift / derailment.
Andy

It's not just gun owners who have a lot to be of ,if they choose the wrong mental health care provider. Lose your job . Lose your various licenses and certificates . Lose your marriage. Your children. There are many decent, honest people working in the health industry currently. Unfortunately, there are also many who ought to be in the system instead of running it. Some of the worst I've met seem to have risen to the higher levels. One man's perspective, based on personal experience.

It's not just gun owners who have a lot to be of ,if they choose the wrong mental health care provider. Lose your job . Lose your various licenses and certificates . Lose your marriage. Your children. There are many decent, honest people working in the health industry currently. Unfortunately, there are also many who ought to be in the system instead of running it. Some of the worst I've met seem to have risen to the higher levels. One man's perspective, based on personal experience.
like that airline pilot who tried to shut then engines off recently. He didnt want to get mental healthcare because he knew it would have cost him his job and career.

An individual deemed mentally impaired to the point of being barred from firearms should be also deemed a danger to themselves and others. Such a person should be confined in a jail or mental institution to protect the sane ones.
I reckon that all depends on who does the deemin', don't it?
Pissed off ex or neighbor? Not gonna end well.
Highly trained professional with an anti-gun bias? Not gonna end well.

Seems like theres a general consensus here of the risk of losing gun rights just for seeking mental healthcare. WTTA should do a much larger study and Im guessing this would be the consensus of the nation.

We need a system where people can get healthcare without losing gun rights...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top