JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That Crossfire II looks pretty good. Just right on eye relief. Still, at two bills would be putting me close or over $300.00. What to do-what to do. :s0107:
I like Vortex for their warranty.
You stuck on buying new?

20230310_194425.jpg

I have an UltiMAK mount on an M1 Garand with a Burris 2-7 X 32 Scout Scope. This set-up works well for the Garand. I don't know why Scout scopes would be any more prone to breakage than a scope mounted over the action. Both are still going to be subject to recoil. I have a Bad Ace Scope mount (not a scout scope mount) on a 1917 Eddystone Enfield. The Bad Ace mount is very well built. Burris makes a single power scout scope that is less expensive than the variable. I think Vortex and Leupold also makes scout scopes with the long eye releif.
Hey I was thinking of doing the same thing. Can you post any good photos of your set-up? I wondered how high the optical center would become; cheekweld is my chief concern. I thought perhaps the Leupold VX-Freedom Scout Rifle Scope 1" Tube 1.5-4x 28mm would be a perfect fit since I like to shoot high power service rifle competition and that power range satisfies the NRA/CMP rules regarding optics. But the eyerelief is only 6 to 7" and I think a scout scope on an M1 Garand would require more than that.

As said above, no drilling on a 106 YO rifle. And if not the straight bolt handle interfering, then the ejection with a scope on is an issue. There are also mounts that pin to the rear sight that come all the way back too.

Kind of a pain to go through all that. But I have two of these rifles. The other 1902 M96 Swede is what some call a M96/38. Those rifles were brought back to Husqvarna in 1938 and shortened the barrels 5", and got a sight change to accommodate different ammo. I would really like to reach out further than 50-65 yards, so the scope would be the only way I could "See". :D To do that.
View attachment 1380774

All the pistol scopes seem to be in the 20" eye relief range. I'm needing 9+/-".

Refer to the above.

The NC Star I was looking at is on that list as best budget scope. In looking at that NCStar it looks like the rings, cheap rings at 7bucks, that come with it might be too tall? Seems like I'd want to keep the scope as close to the rear sight height as possible?
View attachment 1380776

Appreciate this input guys. thanks.
Would a red dot or similar optic aid in sight? I'd think I'd go that route over a scout scope. Especially if it is anything better than the irons.

Would a red dot or similar optic aid in sight? I'd think I'd go that route over a scout scope. Especially if it is anything better than the irons.
Why is the red dot your preference? I'm pretty ignorant of red dot sights. It "Feels" like, shooting off bags at 100 yards, or more, (Our range only has 100) is better looking at crosshairs, rather than a RED dot that likely covers the bulls eye? Like I said, i only played with a red dot on someone else's pistol, it think. At one of the cleanups maybe? Maybe even one of your guns? Your AR maybe? :D

A mid-quality Red Dot costs about the same too doesn't it?

Why is the red dot your preference? I'm pretty ignorant of red dot sights. It "Feels" like, shooting off bags at 100 yards, or more, (Our range only has 100) is better looking at crosshairs, rather than a RED dot that likely covers the bulls eye? Like I said, i only played with a red dot on someone else's pistol, it think. At one of the cleanups maybe? Maybe even one of your guns? Your AR maybe? :D

A mid-quality Red Dot costs about the same too doesn't it?
I was wondering more about your eyes than anything. If it's a thing of trying to get a better sight picture because aging eyes are hindering use of the long sight radius on that rifle in terms of distances beyond 10 feet, anything would be better.

Red dots focus the eye on 1 thing other than the target. Bring the sight up away from the gun so more of your target is visible and not obscured by the rifle itself like irons. They usually carry no eye relief so mounting can be anywhere on the gun, which is an issue with this gun.

They won't be as accurate as a scope. You won't get to see more of the target. You'll just have easier acquisition as you're not trying to align a yardstick through two irons to see your target. Your just looking through the optic while holding the yardstick and putting the dot on the target.

In my opinion scout scopes are similar to irons. You still have to level the rifle correctly to be axle to use them as they are still a long tube. Almost like irons the yardstick would need to be fairly level to use them correctly. Usually why they are on lighter guns and not milsurp.

If you are shooting from a bench none of this really matters.

Just trying to give you some thoughts on this matter. I'm no expert!

I was wondering more about your eyes than anything. If it's a thing of trying to get a better sight picture because aging eyes are hindering use of the long sight radius on that rifle in terms of distances beyond 10 feet, anything would be better.

Red dots focus the eye on 1 thing other than the target. Bring the sight up away from the gun so more of your target is visible and not obscured by the rifle itself like irons. They usually carry no eye relief so mounting can be anywhere on the gun, which is an issue with this gun.

They won't be as accurate as a scope. You won't get to see more of the target. You'll just have easier acquisition as you're not trying to align a yardstick through two irons to see your target. Your just looking through the optic while holding the yardstick and putting the dot on the target.

In my opinion scout scopes are similar to irons. You still have to level the rifle correctly to be axle to use them as they are still a long tube. Almost like irons the yardstick would need to be fairly level to use them correctly. Usually why they are on lighter guns and not milsurp.

I've shot ARs and shotguns with red dots at 100 yards. You can get one with a 2 MOA dot if you look around. I do better than with iron sights but not quite as well as with a 10X scope.

Au contraire....You have your expertise!

I appreciate it too.

Something else to consider if you plan to do a lot of target transitioning or targets that may not be easy to transition to while keeping a scope at full power. You can have a scope for the shot but have a small red dot on an offset mount (or even a set of rings that have an additional mount built in).
Having the red dot in addition to a scope allows you to transition faster.

Something else to consider if you plan to do a lot of target transitioning or targets that may not be easy to transition to while keeping a scope at full power. You can have a scope for the shot but have a small red dot on an offset mount (or even a set of rings that have an additional mount built in).
Having the red dot in addition to a scope allows you to transition faster.
No target transitioning. Just sitting at the bench and seeing how close I can put holes in the paper.

Here's an entire set-up of sights that were put on the M96 Swedish Mausers.
1678647385647.png

There were several sights that were put on the receivers of the M96 Swedish Mousers. None were ever used on a rifle in the military. After the rifles went to civilian use some receivers would be drill to accept the several different makes of rear peep sights. That was for use in civilian competition. I have it that the Swede's were big on rifle competition.

1678647775814.png

Being drilled like that used to hurt value. Not near as much now. I wish I'd gotten a drilled rifle when they were considerably cheaper. Those Swedish sights are available, but pretty expensive and not very easy to find. Soderin and Elit

1678648096496.png

1678648236974.png
Originals are out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR