JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They changed the name of the program a few years later, the acronym from that program name is still around as a slur today
My wife is employed by the school district. The school district has a numerical code for students who have special needs.
During a recent party with a bunch of her co-workers, she was jokingly referred to by a bunch of them with this number " title blablabla ". It was in jest. She didn't get her feelings hurt. Nobody thought of it as hurtful. Unfortunately, I could easily see this situation being blown way out of proportion by any of the local Karens, SJWs , or other busybodies. If they decided to take it the wrong way. These are dedicated, caring professional educators and administrators. Highly paid, educated adults with decades of experience.
When I heard the story, my first instinct was to memorize the number and add it to my litany or mean words. Unfortunately, I can't remember the number because I am a complete r*t@r&.

Agreed. But what happens when we can connect certain social issues with the majority of active shooters etc.
what i see with almost all of these mass shooters: psycotropic drugs, mental health issues, lack of parenting, lack of social norms (indicative of lack of parenting)...

and on a different note:

turns out Main -does- have a "red flag" law. The media is calling is a "yellow flag" law while the media claims Maine has the least gun control laws... go figure.

So many red flags here that could have been used to prevent this. I don't support red flag laws that do not adjudicate someone in court. But they did have him in a mental institution and could have adjudicated him.

and on a different note:

turns out Main -does- have a "red flag" law. The media is calling is a "yellow flag" law while the media claims Maine has the least gun control laws... go figure.

So many red flags here that could have been used to prevent this. I don't support red flag laws that do not adjudicate someone in court. But they did have him in a mental institution and could have adjudicated him.

Well, "the media" doesn't like it unless it removes ALL due process.

what i see with almost all of these mass shooters: psycotropic drugs, mental health issues, lack of parenting, lack of social norms (indicative of lack of parenting)...
That and a Dad absent from the picture. But as long as the government continues to award women for staying single children will continue to grow up without a father.

That and a Dad absent from the picture. But as long as the government continues to award women for staying single children will continue to grow up without a father.
I'm not certain how the govt is awarding single women to stay single but agree that a dad needs to be in the picture, but this isn't a new problem and is more a social condition than a govt condition. I think this is one root cause of the mental health issues but I'm not certain how to address this while promoting individual liberties.... people should be free to make their own choices and that means people should have the freedom to stay single for better or worse.

I'm not certain how the govt is awarding single women to stay single but agree that a dad needs to be in the picture, but this isn't a new problem and is more a social condition than a govt condition. I think this is one root cause of the mental health issues but I'm not certain how to address this while promoting individual liberties.... people should be free to make their own choices and that means people should have the freedom to stay single for better or worse.
Money. Women get more money from the government and from the father if the dad isn't in the picture.

And let's not kid ourselves. The money doesn't get used on the children in many cases.

On the one hand, I believe that a really good therapist can help SOME people. On the other hand, the comment below from the article, summarizes my opinion of the counseling/psych profession in general...particularly the bolded part. I believe a good therapist can help. But I would also say that the number of truly good therapists out there is minimal. To say 2% of them are good would be being generous.

• "As a retired psychologist, I am leery of the liberal bias and general level of competence in the field."
I also think the capacity of a therapist to do more harm than good is ENORMOUS. And that the counseling profession is rife with problems...such as that I think it's a whole lot more art than science, that it's primarily geared heavily to the feeling/emotion orientation of how women are wired and not men, and that there is an inherent problem that at some level it may not be in the therapist's best interest for you to get better since doing so means that their cash cow goes away.

All of that, just to name a few...not to mention I think the overwhelming left leaning to FAR left leaning biases of therapists and the profession in general does play a significant role in quality of care, or lack thereof, provided.

So choose wisely folks...and may the odds be ever in your favor.

full.gif

On the one hand, I believe that a really good therapist can help SOME people. On the other hand, the comment below from the article, summarizes my opinion of the counseling/psych profession in general...particularly the bolded part. I believe a good therapist can help. But I would also say that the number of truly good therapists out there is minimal. To say 2% of them are good would be being generous.

I also think the capacity of a therapist to do more harm than good is ENORMOUS. And that the counseling profession is rife with problems...such as that I think it's a whole lot more art than science, that it's primarily geared heavily to the feeling/emotion orientation of how women are wired and not men, and that there is an inherent problem that at some level it may not be in the therapist's best interest for you to get better since doing so means that their cash cow goes away.

All of that, just to name a few...not to mention I think the overwhelming left leaning to FAR left leaning biases of therapists and the profession in general does play a significant role in quality of care, or lack thereof, provided.

So choose wisely folks...and may the odds be ever in your favor.
I think a ton of these issues are systemic.

1. Mental health basically has to be an art form, unless we are to discount the principle of unique individualism. If we are to assume there are set solutions that are one-size-fits-all in nature we must discount the possibility that different people process things in different ways, and therefor will need different solutions to their different problems.

A corollary to this is that you must find a therapist that actually understands you as a unique individual, is able to gain your trust and connect with you on a level that is useful to you, and that is willing to put your best interest at heart. A therapist basically needs to become a professional friend and mentor for their clients. As you noted this may be difficult when income is on the line.

2. The mental health profession is going to naturally skew liberal, as more conservative circles get this service for free from deeper connections in family, religion and community. These are the sources of most traditional mental health services and while this did have its own problems, what with ingrained cultural biases and a collective subconscious predisposition to ignore certain kinds of issues, it did provide a strong, self supporting network for the individuals participating. Liberals have spent a good chunk of the last century deconstructing these institutions and therefor needed to supplement their services with an alternative source. Hence therapists; a detached, top down solution to what ails them. This profession merely reflects the core clientele.

3. If you get committed to a therapist who is not a good match for you, or even worse, does not have your basic well being at heart, harm is not only likely, it is basically inevitable. How bad that harm is will depend on how mismatched the personalities or motivations are, but it is basically the same thing as "running with the wrong crowd", just with an exchange of money on the table and the false assurance of "professionalism."

Haven't sought mental healthcare since becoming a gun owner (because I haven't had any pressing issues I haven't been able to fix myself) but prior to owning guns I voluntarily sought help for suicidal thoughts and depression. If something came up now that I couldn't solve myself, I like to think I wouldn't have issues with seeking help but my fear would be getting disarmed and since I make my money in an occupation that requires I carry a gun - that is simply a non starter for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top