JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[QUOTE="tac, post: 1834187

upload_2017-12-21_17-27-2-png.png

Nice, eh?

tac[/QUOTE]

Yea, but for the fact you missed the target all 3 shots.

Many years ago a friend joined the National Guard and he wanted to practice marksmanship so he came out to my place for the afternoon (I lived out of town). We set up a piece of paper with a bullseye in the middle at 25 yards. His 15 shots from his .22 rifle looked like a buckshot pattern at that range. By sheer luck one of them went through the bullseye and he was pretty proud of that.

I was trying to give him some shooting tips but he wasn't very open to it. I sat down and shot a few quick rounds through one of my old rifles, printed a nice little group that was high above the bullseye like that.

He was unimpressed, because I had missed every shot! Later I heard him tell someone that he had outshot me. I figured the National Guard could teach him, or not.

Yes, he was serious. No, he wasn't mentally handicapped. It was really odd.

Mikej
I think a Mauser in either 6.5x55 or 7x57 would scratch the itch just fine.
And buying local might be your best bet, cost-wise.
There were a few candidates on Armslist when I looked last night.

Last Edited:
I am a diehard Mauser guy. Picked up a Westinghouse M91 45 years ago, it was so loose, I was afraid to shoot it. All the Enfields (American and British patterns) are good, I have always thought that 1903's were good but overpriced on the market. The Swedes are magnificent bennifited by using a superior cartridge and general good care but for quality, it is tough to beat a prewar Czech VZ24 (M98) . The rifles in 7mm that saw service in South America are frequently rough after years of abuse and neglect but a rifle in 8mm with better European maintenance is wonderful. Off course, the large ring is a more modern action benefiting from cock on the opening action and the 7mm or 6.5mm are superior calibers for the most part tilting the scale towards the Swede.

Many years ago a friend joined the National Guard and he wanted to practice marksmanship so he came out to my place for the afternoon (I lived out of town). We set up a piece of paper with a bullseye in the middle at 25 yards. His 15 shots from his .22 rifle looked like a buckshot pattern at that range. By sheer luck one of them went through the bullseye and he was pretty proud of that.

I was trying to give him some shooting tips but he wasn't very open to it. I sat down and shot a few quick rounds through one of my old rifles, printed a nice little group that was high above the bullseye like that.

He was unimpressed, because I had missed every shot! Later I heard him tell someone that he had outshot me. I figured the National Guard could teach him, or not.

Yes, he was serious. No, he wasn't mentally handicapped. It was really odd.

Not surprised by this at all. I once shot with an Iraq vet who couldn't even get on the paper. I was amazed at how bad he was. He didn't know some really basic things about shooting, totally blew my mind. I'm glad he made it back.

Maybe somebody already said this, but in the same price range as the M44 Mosin Nagant I believe you can still get a Yugo Mauser 24/47. I thought I saw one at Cabelas in Eugene last summer for under $450... Anyway I agree with those who say the action of the Mauser is much better than the MN.

I lucked into a crate (20 rifles) awhile back that a forum member was selling here at NWF. Sorry they are not for sale. I was gonna arm the neighborhood militia (that's a joke Hillary fans, don't get your panties in a bunch). Anyway, back then they were cheap enough (ammo too). Unfortunately, it's not the case anymore.

Such is life.....prices go up.

Aloha, Mark

BTW...the full sized MN 91/30's are "fun" to shoot. Well, in comparison to the M44. Cleaning after shooting the cheap corrosive ammo is another story. I think of it as a trade off for the day of cheap shooting.

Yes the 7.62 x 54r has a stout recoil impulse. Like a 30-06. In the M44 you'll be even move amazed.....not counting the fire ball. LOL.

If you want a "pretty" example of an M44.....take a look at a Polish one. Beautiful examples are not that hard to find though they are pricey. The polish and blue will shock you (in comparison to any Russian off the line M44).

Aloha, Mark

Ah, Mauser...........................I have five of them - 1895, 1897, 1898, 1912 and 1937. Love 'em all, me.

tac

I had a '97, I believe it was. I think it was you who was able to tell me where it was from with the markings. It said "Amberg" on it so I think you told me it was Belgian. I sold it through the Gun Broker in Clackmas....Very foolish considering what I'm interested in now! 5-6 years later. :(

Late to the party, but as were helping you spend a little gun money, I figured I might offer some wizz-dum. I would find a nice K-31 or a Swede Mauser, ether Husquvarna or Carl Gustav, maybe even a CG-63/80 and really have a fine rifle to enjoy and pass down later on! I see it as having not only a nice mil surp fighting rifle, but the best of the best! A nice Mauser 98, a Arisaka type 99, or an 03 Springfield, all classic fighting rifles worthy of owning and enjoying! Nothing wrong with a good Mosin, I don't own one, but have shot the snot of of several, and they were not just acceptable, they were actually pretty accurate! There is a reason so many were made and for as long as they were made from, hard to argue with that!

Rifles like the Mosin Nagant suffer from the fact that the front sight is sighted in by shaving it. So the only way to make it on at 100 meters is to have a taller front sight and shave it off as you sight it in.

Amberg is in Bavaria, Germany.

You should have kept it.

tac

That's what i'm talkin' about. Out of Dads old beater, beat up guns that I've turned into new guns, that's the one I wish I'd saved. There wasn't any sentimental thing there. The guns were pieces he'd bought when he got out of the service in '47, I presume to refurbish. Only one was a shooter. The one shooter is the Enfield he sporterized, and killed exactly one deer with it and then put it away. That will stay with me.

Late to the party, but as were helping you spend a little gun money, I figured I might offer some wizz-dum. I would find a nice K-31 or a Swede Mauser, ether Husquvarna or Carl Gustav, maybe even a CG-63/80 and really have a fine rifle to enjoy and pass down later on! I see it as having not only a nice mil surp fighting rifle, but the best of the best! A nice Mauser 98, a Arisaka type 99, or an 03 Springfield, all classic fighting rifles worthy of owning and enjoying! Nothing wrong with a good Mosin, I don't own one, but have shot the snot of of several, and they were not just acceptable, they were actually pretty accurate! There is a reason so many were made and for as long as they were made from, hard to argue with that!

I like the sound of those. The problem is knowing what to pay for what grade of rifle? I went to the ARPC show last spring and couldn't believe all the old rifles on racks through out the building. And ME, not knowing one damned thing about any of them! I will go again this year, but I still won't know much more than I did last year!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top