JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I made it through 2 pages...

The scenario described was honestly the one I was most afraid would happen while I was a tow monkey - because I found myself all over Oregon and Washington on a regular basis. I kept my GHB (get home bag, not the date rape drug!) handy in the truck and expected a loooong walk if a disaster struck.

Now, my fear isn't so much being stuck in say, Eugene, but it's getting stuck in Portland, either east of the river, or in the west hills when The Big One strikes. Portland is going to die in such a big quake - the bridges will fall, the tunnel will get closed off, the soil is going to liquify and most of the west hills - all those expeensive homes - are going to slide down hill. It is going to be one nasty walk home after such a quake. I have general routes planned depending on exactly where I am, and what the terrain looks like.

I'll drive as far as I can go, then it's walking, plain and simple. Plan is to avoid congested areas, cut through quieter neighborhoods if I"m in residential areas, avoid tall buildings if I'm urban, and generally try not to get shot, stabbed, robbed, crushed, or electrocuted while trying to get home. The hard part is likely going to be finding a safe place to hunker down for a few hours of sleep, if home is more than a day's walk away. I'm not in the best shape, but I can hike and move, and figure I'm good for at least ten miles in 12-15 hours a day of being on the move.

Finding safe shelter in such a situation has many factors - 1.) how stable is this building in an aftershock - is it going to come down around me, or did it hold up well to the big one? Is it going to burn down because of broken gas lines, arcing electrical lines, etc?? 2.) how likely is it that someone else is going to find it and have the same thought I did - probably pretty damn likely 3.) Is there a safe room that can be secured - can I barricade myself in, are the windows high enough off the ground that someone isn't going to smash it and crawl in with me, can I put something between me and the window in case it shatters in another big aftershock? I don't want to be cut to pieces by shattering glass, or have someone else break in and rape/rob/murder me while I'm trying to rest. 4.) can I stay dry and warm here? THis is last on this simple list because between the blanket and clothing I have on me, and in the bag, staying warm and dry shouldn't be a big issue.

I do not, and would not carry a tent in my GHB. Tents provide false security, and they make a big, easily seen target. They take too long to setup and take apart, and take up too much weight.

I do not carry a sleeping bag in the GHB - sleeping bags would be warm - and very comfy for sleeping, but if you're zipped up in a bag, you're behind the curve if someone wants to go at you. And they're too bulky. A good low profile bivy tent/bag wouldn't be terrible though, if you can afford the bulk and weight. They can be camouflaged, and concealed rather easily compared to a normal tent. They will keep you fairly dry and warm if made right. But you're still taking a security risk using one when trying to get home in this SHTF situation.

Sleeping outside is not optimal because you're exposed - to animals, elements, and bandits. Finding a vacant building isn't terribly likely in most places - most neighborhoods are fully occupied, and you're likely to get shot if you try forcing entry into what you think is an abandoned home, and even if you find one - you're likely to have company because face it - if you had the idea, dozens of others will too.

Personally, I think one of the best shelters in such situation, for getting a bit of sleep, is probably going to be a brick toilet building in a park. Many of those are built sturdy, they have heavy metal doors, some of which lock from the inside. Small windows high off the ground, if they have windows at all. They may not be the cleanest, nicest smelling places, but chances are they'll allow you to stay dry and safe for a while.

I think a closed office building may be the next best bet - but this is risky. Hard to secure - if you can get in, so can others. But they may have closets you can hide in and lock yourself in to stay warm and dry at the least. You do risk being shot by the rightful occupants though, if they are there and you're trying to get in, or they show up to find you there.

You could seek shelter from strangers - but it's highly unlikely they'll be willing to take in a stranger, and you're placing yourself in big danger either way. They may decide to roll you for your gear, they may decide to cut your throat while you sleep. Maybe they just "probe" you because you have a purty mouth. Or they see you, the random stranger begging for a place to sleep - as highly dangerous, and you get a chest full of buckshot for the trouble, because they figure YOU are a bandit up to no good, giving some BS story about hiking 30 miles home just needing a warm safe place to sleep.

If you're stuck sleeping outside during the trek home - finding a concealed spot in thick brush is probably going to be the safest bet. You'll be exposed to animals, bugs, and the weather for sure, but you may be able to stay out of visual range of potential bandits.

My personal sleep system in the GHB is a twin size fleece blanket, and if necessary a big thick trash bag to crawl into and use to stay semi-dry. If a pillow is necessary, I have the backpack.

I don't think most people really put a lot of thought into the idea of how they will get rest if they have to hoof it home, or if they are bugging out. It's not going to be like camping out in the woods if SHTF happens. Such events tend to bring out and amplify the worst in people as much as they bring out the best in others - but there's no way to know just by looking, who is on what side.

And that caps it all off doesn't it! I figure those that can will be forced to leave ether by own volition or forced by whom ever. Loss of income will not matter as much, there will be little to buy, and those that choose to stay will be forced to do what ever it takes to survive. Money will only matter IF you can access it, and trade goods will only go a little ways. Even if you were able to leave, would you be able to access money then? Difficult questions, and No obvious answers.

mkworx has a good point here, I have looked at a lot of the same ideas. For hoofing on foot, a good idea for urban walking might be to do it in shifts of 4 to 6 hours and then rest for 4 to 6. Avoiding likely areas people are likely to gather, and avoiding structures that still stand. I would gather just enough debris to improvise shelter for a short rest period, and always keep moving when out in the open! Animals will be a problem for sure, Packs of dogs will form and revert to primal instinct, so dealing with them WILL be an issue at some point, BUT they can also become a source of food, and if you are at that point so are others, so best to do it as quiet as possible or in the dark! Avoid other domestic animals, and the smaller wild critters that live in urban areas! Good Water filtration will provide drinking water enough to get you home no matter how bad the water is so that should be a part of every GHB. I would add a wool blanket in place of a tent or flease, and I would add a small rain fly for a pup tent as well as rain protection for you and your gear bag while on the move. FIRE,A good thing, and not so good a thing, Fire is a beacon of life when you want to go un noticed, and the smell of cooking is likely worse, so refrain if possible. Treat every one as a threat until they prove otherwise, and avoid any contact if possible!

this OPB website tells me that I will be without water/sewage for 1 year, Police for 6 months, Electricity for 4, highways and roads for year and half, no healthcare facilities for up to 2 years.

how it estimates that I don't know, I'm skeptical I would have police services after 6 months if we don't have any roads for a year...

click here and plug in your zip code.
Aftershock

This site doesn't do Washington. I need to find one just out of curiosity.

I'm not going to tell you guys how long that took me to read this thread. I never let my truck go past 1/2 tank for obvious reasons. I will stay with it as long as I can. There are no bridges between work and my house. But definitely some sketchy areas of urban development. When the time comes and I need to abandon my truck I would move quickly to get past the urban areas and get out of town. I would rather take on a creek or animals than a human in a urban environment. Once I'm out of town I will reassess my position and choose the best way home. I could be dead wrong but I am guessing the half hour drive would take me about three days in a situation like this. Many time I have thought it would be nice to know where my local NWFA members live in such a situation as I know I could trust them for a place to crash for a night with out getting shot.

Now I am going to over think my whole strategy for the next month and really watch my driving on my way home tonight to make sure I am correct about my previous thoughts. o_O

Practice driving different routes to and from work now and then. Ones that might be better alternatives for walking...

I have actually done that and landed on the route that I drive every day. I'm sure that it would change some but it is also the route that gets me out of town the quickest and bypasses all the large stores where there might be looters and trouble. Not holding my breath but my hopes would be that my truck would get me through most of the urban areas.

If stuck in town, look for some Korean shop owners, those guys know how to handle looters.

upload_2017-2-6_9-37-3.jpeg

I'm still patiently waiting for OP's "profound revelation" he'll reveal to us on how to get past that collapsed overpass and make it back home.:rolleyes:(6 pages back)
(I'm really hoping it doesn't involve climbing over the rubble and then car-jacking a vehicle on the other side....maybe see if you could trade yours for theirs, could be a long-shot, though worth a try.)

Here's a question... if you had to abandon your vehicle because you were jammed up and unable to reverse course (think boxed in by a huge traffic jam). would you lock it? leave the keys in it? disable it in some way?

Last Edited:
I agree w you guys except don't fear the animals and bugs. Way safer than humans.

Generally I'm with you - I'm thinking more from the standpoint of not contracting disease from rodents, having my pack torn open by racoons or something if they smell food, getting spider bit or getting ticks and potentially contracting lyme disease. If the world, or even just our region, is sliding into chaos - the last thing I want to do is get sick. I'm not so worried that a mountain lion or coyote is going to view me as a super-sized Big Mac as I would be about the hygene issues. It's the same reason I wouldn't want to spoon that toothless homeless chick that gives the come-hither look while flapping her sleeping bag :D That, and I'm pretty sure she belongs to Stomper and I wouldn't want to intrude upon his urban harem :eek:

The animals and bugs issue is fairly low - but none the less if I've got to hunker down while trekking home - I'd rather not deal with them if I can. Just like people - move swiftly but as quietly as possible, keep the profile low, and just try to get home safe.

And as touched on earlier - in these situations fire can be your friend, or your worst foe. If it's cold and wet outside, and you've got to be outside - you're going to want fire (note I say want - not need) - fire gives us a mental boost. Fire gives us warmth. But fire is a beacon, as Ura Ki put it. The smell, the visible light - not good if you are in unfriendly territory. It will attract others. Even if you're making a small fire - even if you dig a hole and make your fire there, if it's wet, your wood will smoke. There will still be a light signature, even if minimal. And such fires aren't great for warming up and drying out. So their use should be done with judicious forethought. Of course if you've had to swim or ford a creek or river or something - then of course make a fire, dry out, get warm - no point in dying of hypothermia before you had a chance to get home.

This is why I'd want to find a structure to shelter in before staying outside, if at all possible. You can carry in your pack some of the "hot hands" type hand warmers, or one of those single use heating pads for your back - they don't add a lot of weight, but they do work and may help warm you if you get cold and need to hunker down. If you must have warm food - a couple MRE's with heaters will do that. Personally the food I carry in my GHB is ready to eat right from the pack - peanutbutter, tuna in foil, protein bars, occasionally jerky - stuff that is fairly high in calorie count but still compact and ready to eat in seconds - not minutes. Then I don't need to waste precious water in boiling to cook with, don't need a fire to cook over, and I can eat on the move if I need or want to.

I'm still patiently waiting for OP's "profound revelation" he'll reveal to us on how to get past that collapsed overpass and make it back home.:rolleyes:(6 pages back)
(I'm really hoping it doesn't involve climbing over the rubble and then car-jacking a vehicle on the other side.)

Here's a question... if you had to abandon your vehicle because you were jammed up and unable to reverse course (think boxed in by a huge traffic jam). would you lock it? leave the keys in it? disable it in some way?
It's so simple it's diabolical! It is obvious that the OP will leave a laptop complete with juicy clickbait on the hood of his smoldering car.. allowing him safe egress from the kill zone while the murderous hordes are all WTF'ing and poking at the keyboard.

(I'm really hoping it doesn't involve climbing over the rubble and then car-jacking a vehicle on the other side.)

My guess is the OP has a good idea, but then we covered it already and so now he doesnt know how to bring it up....

The vehicle question is a good one. Depends on where you have to leave it... If its stuck in the middle of the road, leave the key and maybe it wont get towed whenever they get to it a smart person might just park it for ya off to the side.
If your stuck somewhere it safely parked, leave it unlocked but take the key. That way the looters might not smash the windows to break in....

My guess is the OP has a good idea, but then we covered it already and so now he doesnt know how to bring it up....

The vehicle question is a good one. Depends on where you have to leave it... If its stuck in the middle of the road, leave the key and maybe it wont get towed whenever they get to it a smart person might just park it for ya off to the side.
If your stuck somewhere it safely parked, leave it unlocked but take the key. That way the looters might not smash the windows to break in....

I think you're a tad optimistic - the looters and vandals will smash teh windows, locked or not. Because people are jerks.

As far as it getting towed away - if we're talking about a 9.0 that ruins infrastructure, that'd be my last concern. You could leave the key in it and wish it well, someone may come along and appropriate it for their use. Or you could disable it in the hopes of eventually coming back for it. I would not count on it being in good condition when/if you return to it, especially if weeks or months pass at that point. If we're talking about The Big One that liquifies soil, downs bridges and overpasses - it's going to be at least a year, probably more, before the roads get rebuilt. The highway department probably will remove the vehicles at some point - but the tow trucks won't be working much until the roadways get cleared of debris to the point where they can get out and move. Of the companies that actually remain operational, they will no doubt be working from city centers outward to clear the roads of vehicles and trees and such. But who's going to pay them? The government? Maybe. Paper money will be generally worthless in the immediate region - and debit/credit cards require phones to process - either cellular or wired - or an internet connetion. That is going to be spotty at best - so it's not likely they're going to be a big factor. Insurance companies may pay - but their billing cycles are 30-60 days out.

I suppose you could look at it from the standpoint of how can you help the eventual rebuilding process - and get your vehicle off the road if at all possible. Put it on the shoulder, in the ditch, in a parking lot, in a field -anything to help clear the road so that emergency crews - if they even still operate, can do their thing to get the restoration ball rolling.

Well, I see at least a few of you kept this reality based...

I'm glad someone mentioned the myriad of small bridges on the interstate and other roads that many of us cross every day and never give a second thought to. Some of them are just irrigation canals, but you won't drive across them if they have collapsed. As far as alternate routes are concerned, be sure to keep physical maps in your vehicle or pack since you may not be able to count on your phones working if cell towers are down, and remember that alternate routes are also likely to be damaged and will probably just lead to wasted time.

I agree with those who have stated that in an event this big the damage will be so extensive that no one will be just driving all the way home. My question takes this into consideration when I stated that the premise is to try and reduce the walk home with the understanding that you will eventually have to abandon your vehicle to the Allstate gods and proceed on foot. I believe that staying put for any length of time will only assure that you witness things get worse, not better, at least initially. Social order breaks down very rapidly following 9.0 earthquakes without someone around to maintain it.
Well, whiskey tango foxtrot is you epiphany "so profound it's simple" then? Six pages on, and you're not delivering on your claim.

I wonder about this, will most peoples instinct be to help out at first, or will it just instantly break down to looting and chaos? I would think at first most everyone will be desperately wanting to secure themselves and their loved ones. Then later when those that don't prep run out of supplies the chaos begins...

I believe this also to a point;
My view is that Initially, those who have will try to recoup and show good will towards their neighbors in a desperate attempt at a return to normalcy. While those who have not, will try to have, without earning. Depending on demographics of your particular area, lack of fear of authority, or moral and ethic degeneration could happen on day one, or when hunger churns the stomach. This then makes the gun/rifle, the primary tool for survival of a catastrophic event for the survival of you and your loved ones. ( over water straws and freeze dried bacon)
Current poverty without a catastrophic event in the US pales to degradation and desperation I have personally seen in some third world countries. I have bared witness to how desperate those who have not and no hope can become which in itself may be trivial to those who never had moral upbringing in the first place, and then try to become top dog and make you their chattel.
The gun, is the easiest and most radially obtainable survival thing you can invest in. It will be on your person when you are stuck 15 miles from home and your bug out kit.

@mkwerx (and all), not sure if this has been suggested or not for a place to get some rest...

Don't rule out the roof of a single story building, which has survived. A walk through an industrial park would give you a quick assessment of which, if any have survived. Would be lower priority for looters (initially), would give you more options in the event of fire - intentional, accidental or resulting from the event.

Park bathroom building is a very bad idea, IMO. Your trapped inside, and more likely than not would become permanent home to homeless drug addicts/mentally unstable pretty quickly.

The trick with hunkering down while solo, is to not be seen doing so. By anyone.

You might have to scout out a few places prior to dark, then circle back. Bit of a time waste, but may be worthwhile if you need the rest. How long can you go before you need rest and lose your good judgement while exerting yourself? Don't push yourself beyond reasonable, or it'll take longer to get where you need to be. Or worse, you'll risk using bad judgement...

I wouldn't want to be hiking too much after dark, for risk of injury. Obviously depends upon the situation, the weather, day of the month and skills set etc. I REALLY would not want to night hike post some event using a headlamp, way too easy to become a target.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top