JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@thorborg is spot on, and is why your bug out bag/get home bag should include spare ammo for your daily carry, or if you don't carry on your person, should probably include a pistol and full box of ammo at the least. I carry on my person every day, everywhere. Spare mag on body, three spare mags in the bag. That's 47 rounds extra in the bag, and 33 on my body. That's either going to be enough to get me home (I hope I dont' need ANY rounds to get home) - or it'll allow me to obtain more ammo or an extra weapon - or worst case, it won't be enough and I wind up dead. There's a lot of guys out there no doubt better armed, better trained, or just more lucky than me. But everyone needs a defensive weapon in their kit if they're serious about getting through an event like this.

@mkwerx (and all), not sure if this has been suggested or not for a place to get some rest...

Don't rule out the roof of a single story building, which has survived. A walk through an industrial park would give you a quick assessment of which, if any have survived. Would be lower priority for looters (initially), would give you more options in the event of fire - intentional, accidental or resulting from the event.

Park bathroom building is a very bad idea, IMO. Your trapped inside, and more likely than not would become permanent home to homeless drug addicts/mentally unstable pretty quickly.

The trick with hunkering down while solo, is to not be seen doing so. By anyone.

You might have to scout out a few places prior to dark, then circle back. Bit of a time waste, but may be worthwhile if you need the rest. How long can you go before you need rest and lose your good judgement while exerting yourself? Don't push yourself beyond reasonable, or it'll take longer to get where you need to be. Or worse, you'll risk using bad judgement...

I wouldn't want to be hiking too much after dark, for risk of injury. Obviously depends upon the situation, the weather, day of the month and skills set etc. I REALLY would not want to night hike post some event using a headlamp, way too easy to become a target.

You have valid points about the bathroom idea - it's one of those where it provides shelter for sure - if it survived the quake and you could lock it - but it could indeed make you a prisoner if others moved into the area. Coming out of such facility is going to be very risky and set you up for ambush. I've thought of that one too.

I like the idea of the roof of an industrial building, they're generally flat, they have a low (or high) wall around the perimeter, and access points are few and fairly easy to control. It also gives you a better view of the surrounding area to assess the hazards.

Eons ago when I did security work, I would occasionally find myself posted up on a roof watching the property I was at, or having to check the roof as a regular part of the patrol. These are often overlooked by most people, you're right.

I remember one case where one of our guys was doing a check of a four star hotel in downtown Portland, and housekeeping alerted of a break in of an unoccupied room. Homeless guy stole the mattress off of a bed, and carried it up the stairwell to the roof (not sure why that door was left unlocked, but it was) - he was up there for a while before he was discovered.

On a more realistic note :
The comments about having more than one route home , getting and keeping in shape , having a bug out bag and boots are all great.

One that I really liked was the thought that you need to be willing to abandon you car ...
Many folks have a tough time letting go of things.
We often don't "own" anything ... But don't let what you own , "own" you.
Andy

On a more realistic note :
The comments about having more than one route home , getting and keeping in shape , having a bug out bag and boots are all great.

One that I really liked was the thought that you need to be willing to abandon you car ...
Many folks have a tough time letting go of things.
We often don't "own" anything ... But don't let what you own , "own" you.
Andy

Kinda like letting go of that AR15 many carry in the trunk.

Good luck being the "grey man" trying to walk home with one of those...

No doubt.
And I'm not saying that I'm not guilty of this myself.
I love my Hawken Rifle .... Its almost apart of me.
But ... If SHTF my 03A3 might be a better choice.
I know this ... But letting go of my Hawken? ... That's going to hurt.
( Its kinda hard to be a "grey man" with those as well... OD man or Buckskin Man maybe. :D)
Andy

Last Edited:
AHHHHHHH!
Well at least I'll have plenty of "one shots" per gun for my last stand. :eek:
( kind of a pain to load 'em all :D )

Lots of RIG gun grease ... a nice gun sock and room in the safe.
Plus plenty of pure thoughts ... Here's to hoping I ( we ) don't have to find out.
Andy

Don't leave it in the trunk, whatever it may be. Better off burying it nearby, again provided your unseen. If you feel you need to, ie won't be back to your vehicle for an unknown time, or ever. Whatever is left in it will likely be rummaged thru.

What it comes down to is, be prepared to adapt to whatever happens.

Having alternate plans is a good thing.

-this is a scenario where having a non traditional fire arm as a trunk gun may be helpful. Folding brace AR pistol, FN Five Seven, para-AK etc.

Short barreled PS90, if you can afford one, and have the stamp etc...

Last Edited:
I'm walking. I wouldn't stay 3 minutes with my vehicle. Were there rivers to cross, I can make it across with any gear fairly easy. I will find the narrowest part and get across utilizing my inflated garbage bags method as floatation (think of the ending of Jaws when they swam back after exploding the fish). For anyone interested, I encourage you to practice in a lake over the summer (when water is warm). Para-cord, duct tape, four 3 mil contractor garbage sacks and a long branch/stick.

In the end you have to cowboy up and remember how they did things in the 19th century. Not all of them rode an animal or wagon across the plains / mountains. Some walked the entire Oregon trail. Release your 21st century mindset and know some thing are going to take time, lots of time. It is possible that it will take a day to travel a mere mile. Cowboy up. Never quit.

I'll help anyone i can afford to while on my way home.

If ANY of you intend to come to Eastern Oregon . . . especially FAR Eastern Oregon you are going to have to get past the armed roadblocks. And that after/if you get through the Cascades.

You won't find the welcome mat out!?!?

Sheldon

If ANY of you intend to come to Eastern Oregon . . . especially FAR Eastern Oregon you are going to have to get past the armed roadblocks. And that after/if you get through the Cascades.

Sheldon
You gonna charge 'em a tribute or just kill them right there?
lol

Sheldon
If I see a friendly flag, I'll send in an emissary. If I see an unfriendly flag, I'll send in 750 gr A-Max from the horizon.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top