JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Find a local.
Find an airstrip.

Buy a flight home. ;)

When I am not at home, I am somewhere between work and home. The closest airstrip (Stark's) that I could make it to on my way home would be the same distance as my home is from work, and once there only a helicopter could get me any closer to my house as no fixed wing aircraft could land any closer to my house than that airstrip.

Not sure that Stark's has any helos, and if it does then the chance that the owner operator would be there would be very slim indeed. Then the chance that they would want to fly me home at any price, in the middle of such chaos, would be even slimmer.

, but if I find an airplane with gas in it, I will forgo my usual law abiding ways and utilize the 2 sets of jump wires I carry in my GHB and make my trip a lot easier.

Of course this plan is not with out complications or potentials either. Stealing or
" appropriating / requisitioning" an aircraft from an airfield, beyond being a Federal crime, might find you in disagreement with the plane owners, and there may be pirates awaiting the arrival of a capable pilot to convert the aircraft for their own uses. Not getting into a fire fight unless it is truly life and death and an easy take down for that reason.

My ham radio puts me in touch with 2 friends with aircraft with bush capabilities. I am not current on my ticket, but if I find an airplane with gas in it, I will forgo my usual law abiding ways and utilize the 2 sets of jump wires I carry in my GHB and make my trip a lot easier. In fact that is my main plan if I was to be caught way from home. I have a landing strip at my place so we are good there. I would then contact the owner of the plane, offer to return it for a return flight home and pay him an appropriate rental fee.

If I was the owner of that aircraft, I would gladly offer to fly you back home if you returned my aircraft. You might find your landing a bit rough after I shoved you out the door from 5000 feet over your airstrip, but you would be home (or your body would be). :mad:

9.0 means all infrastructure is gone.

How many bridges do you cross in your daily activities or commutes ??

Any answer that has to do with a motorized vehicle other than a dirt bike is wrong. A bicycle might work but carrying your sustainable supplies is problematic. Hiking is going to be your best bet. I could probably do about 5 to 7 miles a day in my condition.

I carry a portable ham radio everywhere I go. I know people all over this state on the ham radio. I would end up walking between ham radio contacts stops, most likely figuring out how to cross waterways. I also belong to a fraternal group that has recognition signs and words . Between these 2 sets of contacts anywhere I go, I would eventually make my way home and have a garage to shed to sleep in between and share food. I would do the same for them.

My whole intent is to not get caught away from home, but if I do make the best of it.
Too simple didn't read. TSDR for my brothers.

I've been thinking of putting an inflatable in the trunk of my car. With bridges collapsed, it might be the only way to get across the Willamette. It would need to be big enough for my wife, me, and the get-home gear.

I've been thinking of putting an inflatable in the trunk of my car. With bridges collapsed, it might be the only way to get across the Willamette. It would need to be big enough for my wife, me, and the get-home gear.

b12e258c95768174f863febc782b6a6d.jpg

If I was the owner of that aircraft, I would gladly offer to fly you back home if you returned my aircraft. You might find your landing a bit rough after I shoved you out the door from 5000 feet over your airstrip, but you would be home (or your body would be). :mad:

Well if it was your airplane I would just pass it on to the next guy who wanted it or trade it for something useful.

Well, I see at least a few of you kept this reality based...

I'm glad someone mentioned the myriad of small bridges on the interstate and other roads that many of us cross every day and never give a second thought to. Some of them are just irrigation canals, but you won't drive across them if they have collapsed. As far as alternate routes are concerned, be sure to keep physical maps in your vehicle or pack since you may not be able to count on your phones working if cell towers are down, and remember that alternate routes are also likely to be damaged and will probably just lead to wasted time.

I agree with those who have stated that in an event this big the damage will be so extensive that no one will be just driving all the way home. My question takes this into consideration when I stated that the premise is to try and reduce the walk home with the understanding that you will eventually have to abandon your vehicle to the Allstate gods and proceed on foot. I believe that staying put for any length of time will only assure that you witness things get worse, not better, at least initially. Social order breaks down very rapidly following 9.0 earthquakes without someone around to maintain it.

I believe that staying put for any length of time will only assure that you witness things get worse, not better, at least initially. Social order breaks down very rapidly following 9.0 earthquakes without someone around to maintain it.

I wonder about this, will most peoples instinct be to help out at first, or will it just instantly break down to looting and chaos? I would think at first most everyone will be desperately wanting to secure themselves and their loved ones. Then later when those that don't prep run out of supplies the chaos begins...

I can speak to this SOME WHAT, based on the two events I got to be a part of. During Katrina, most people stayed put and they waited until things cleared up a bit, the looting and general lawlessness didn't happen right away, most were shell shocked AND nature played a huge amount in this situation, the flooding prevented a lot of serious crimes during the first few weeks ( In areas that saw the flooding) Those that went feral or were just looking to take advantage struck out once the big event had blown out and they were able to gather the gangs together! The Japan Earth Quake and Tidal waves was wholly different, the damage was so bad, and so many had been killed that general lawlessness was not such a big concern, but it did happen! The big difference ( besides the country) was even the people likely to go rouge were killed off leaving much fewer to do the looting or run amook! The looting that was observed was mainly for survival and not hoisting big screens and dvd players! One Huge difference we did see, in 'Murika, there were armed citizens that were able to fend off would be bad, where as in Japan, the crooks could pretty much run all over the people unchecked!
Japan should be the events being looked at as to just how bad it will likely get, and the death toll would likely be close enough for comparison! Watch some of the many videos of the quake and the flooding. Keep in mind that the entire stretch of the I-5 run from the Ashland to Tacoma will Liquefy the ground and that will make every thing really, really bad! Also keep in mind that there are a number of Dam's on both the Willamette and the Columbia that will suffer significant damage and this spells disaster on an epic scale! Fema will not be able to respond, local and regional teams will be completely over whelmed, and it will take several days or even weeks for outside help to arrive! and even then, your pretty much on your own!

actually half the Willamette Valley is a giant flood plain if it wasn't for the dams on the streams coming out of the Cascades like Cougar and Detroit. If those go, it will be over for them like a little Katrina.

Worst possible case, It were to happen right now! Take a look at how much rain fall and other moisture happening in Oregon and Washington, If an event like Japan were to hit right now, Game Over for a very large percent of the PNW!!!! It only matters where you are when the shaking stops and if you live that long, the real challenges happen after that! Sorry to paint such a gloomy picture! Preps had best be made for at least 30 days and probably 90 would be a more reasonable amount to expect, beyond that, your on your own for extended survival!

Preps had best be made for at least 30 days and probably 90 would be a more reasonable amount to expect, beyond that, your on your own for extended survival!

this OPB website tells me that I will be without water/sewage for 1 year, Police for 6 months, Electricity for 4, highways and roads for year and half, no healthcare facilities for up to 2 years.

how it estimates that I don't know, I'm skeptical I would have police services after 6 months if we don't have any roads for a year...

click here and plug in your zip code.
Aftershock

Interesting look! Hard to fathom what can be expected. I disagree with these assumptions, I think water and sewer will take way longer, I see power and gas also taking way longer, and I disagree with Medical and food/water supplies being brought in! Food and Water supplies will be air dropped/delivered to collection centers, medical treatment and trauma centers will also be brought in by the Military ( like We did in Katrina) and local LEO would be Military based/Led under Fed National Emergency action. Main Highways will be the best options for restoring road traffic and brigine equipement will be brought in by the Army and other Fed agencies for reliefe traffic only!

I have a different question about this subject... what happens financially?

Will it take a year to restore businesses and get back to work? What happens to your home mortgage during that time assuming your home survives? This isn't just like being laid off for a year you wont even have unemployment benefits...

I just don't think I could last a year without assistance, I cant possibly cram a years supply of food in my house in the first place let alone other preps. Hurricane Katrina displaced over 1 million people... I cant fathom the idea of abandoning my home and possessions to the looters. Will the govt even let us stay or force us out? Can they do that legally?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews