JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
redneck-grill.jpg
Last resort
Up-Smoke-Cheech-Chong_l.jpg

Something to note for those of us who live in the boonies and smaller communities:

Aid and resupply and rebuilding will go first to the population centers, and last to the people off by themselves.

It is simple triage; get the aid to the most people that will benefit from it.

That means Portland/Seattle/et. al.

That is the way it works now; when the power goes out over a widespread area, the people in the cities get their power restored first, in the first few days to a week. The rest can take weeks and weeks to get their power back.

So if you live outside of urban/suburban population areas, count on services/infrastructure taking several multiples of time to be restored.

If the cities will be on their own for months, we will be on our own for years.

Also, you have to know that roads/bridges/etc., will take years to be restored.

I have a different question about this subject... what happens financially?

Will it take a year to restore businesses and get back to work? What happens to your home mortgage during that time assuming your home survives? This isn't just like being laid off for a year you wont even have unemployment benefits...

I just don't think I could last a year without assistance, I cant possibly cram a years supply of food in my house in the first place let alone other preps. Hurricane Katrina displaced over 1 million people... I cant fathom the idea of abandoning my home and possessions to the looters. Will the govt even let us stay or force us out? Can they do that legally?

If your employer doesn't have work for you and you can show up to work, you will get unemployment for 6 months or more (if it is extended). If your employer is still open for business, then it will depend on whether you can get to your workplace or not. I would not be surprised if there was some special programs in this regard.

Of course, if someone else has a job for you, that you can do and the pay is customary, that is within 50 miles, then you would have to accept that work.

For those of us that are older and/or not able to do physical work 8 hours a day, and/or have a different profession (e.g., I am a software engineer), it is customary to not require us to accept a job digging ditches.

Personally, I am pretty close to retirement, so I could handle my own expenses with SSI and my savings, but I would have to work in order to support my "children" (my daughter and her husband) who would probably be out of work.

Max unemployment is ~$500 per week.

Well guys (and gals if there are any of you here), I appreciate that you all forewent the rocket backpacks, rollerskates, and Dukes of Hazard on day two. Actually, there was some very good conversation today on this scenario which helped me to consider some things I haven't thought of before. And, speaking of that...

The revelation I had came while picturing in my mind the scene at a collapsed overpass. At this point, I'm planning to abandon my vehicle without concern for ever seeing it again as I'm sure others on the opposite side are considering as well. So, why not ask some of the more level-headed looking folks on the other side if they'd like to trade vehicles. Their vehicles are on the side you want to be on and vice versa, so if you're prepared to say goodbye to whatever you're driving why not use it for trading stock one last time! You'll want to make sure the vehicle you trade for is roughly as capable as yours with a reasonably equivalent fuel supply, but what do you have to lose? Hell, you may be able to leapfrog numerous freeway blockages this way and cut your walk home in half or better! This might be the moment your NWFA banner/flag/T-shirt pays a HUGE dividend!

Someone asked earlier about the potential long-term financial effects of a disaster like this while musing that their property values may drop. To me, this is far worse than the immediate effects unless you live on the coast. With no businesses and no jobs, many people will just up and leave. There will be little opportunity to make a living and many properties that no one wants, so don't plan on having any equity in your home or being able to find a buyer if you want to set up life elsewhere. It will literally take decades for the area to recover economically, if it ever does, which is why my worst-case-scenario-all-else-fails plan is to wait until the first route east opens up and leave with whatever I can fit in my vehicle(s) and without ever looking back. Since my house is almost paid for and I have a lot of equity in it, I've actually considered taking out a $50,000 home equity loan and just stuffing it in a 1% interest online savings account. That way I could use the money for a down payment on something else wherever I land. The loan would obviously cost me interest and increase my payment, but it's an insurance plan against losing everything.

Keep in mind that unless you are one of the first out, neighboring areas that have something to offer, like Boise, ID, will be overrun with refugees. This will drive rent sky-high, make jobs scarce to non-existent, and cause late-comers to have to continue traveling east. The effects of a large-scale event like this will reach far beyond the area immediately affected.

Now the good news: Geological data shows that there are two possible Cascadia scenarios, the Big One (partial rupture of the fault line), and the Very Big One (full margin rupture of the entire fault line). All the articles and media stories out there talk about the possible effects of the Very Big One which would be the 9.0+ version, but the data shows that the next Cascadia event is much more likely to be the Big One which will be more like an 8.0. While this is still significant, an 8.0 earthquake will be far less destructive than a 9.0+. My hope is for neither, but I'll continue preparing for the Very Big One just in case.

Last Edited:
Well guys (and gals if there are any of you here), I appreciate that you all forewent the rocket backpacks, rollerskates, and Dukes of Hazard on day two. Actually, there was some very good conversation today on this scenario which helped me to consider some things I haven't thought of before. And, speaking of that...

The revelation I had came while picturing in my mind the scene at a collapsed overpass. At this point, I'm planning to abandon my vehicle without concern for ever seeing it again as I'm sure others on the opposite side are considering as well. So, why not ask some of the more level-headed looking folks on the other side it they'd like to trade vehicles. Their vehicles are on the side you want to be on and vice versa, so if you're prepared to say goodbye to whatever you're driving why not use it for trading stock one last time! You'll want to make sure the vehicle you trade for is roughly as capable as yours with a reasonably equivalent fuel supply, but what do you have to lose? Hell, you may be able to leapfrog numerous freeway blockages this way and cut your walk in half or better! This might be the moment your NWFA banner/flag pays a HUGE dividend!
"Thinking outside the box."

What? What box?

Please remember this part of my post "Hell, you may be able to leapfrog numerous freeway blockages this way and cut your walk home in half or better!"

This is only one idea where the goal is to get closer to home. Some bridges will be gone, too, and the biggest challenge may be how to get across the waterways without drowning. I've considered adding an inflatable PFD to my GHB. As another poster mentioned earlier in the thread, the key is to be flexible and able/willing to adapt.

My hope is that all of us who participated in this thread learned something from the conversation and will be better at adapting to any emergency we may face because of it.

Last Edited:
Remember, this is only one idea where the goal is to get closer to home.

oh, were gonna tease ya DM only cause you made us wait so long. You do have a good point. I'm not certain how practical it might be but you never know even if it works for only one overpass it could save you a few miles of walking. It is a simple idea...

It was fun seeing whose helping, leaving, taking homage or waiting for FEMA. And we all have guns.
And I need to get that back pack in the rig tomorrow.
The homeless and McGyvers will win. And the prepaid. :)

My basic GHB contains the following:
  • Full Sawyer 34 oz. water bottle with filter insert in Ziploc bag
  • Empty 70 oz. hydration bladder
  • High-calorie food
  • Fleece hat
  • Sun hat
  • Thermal shirt
  • Rain jacket (plus rain pants in winter)
  • Convertible pants in summer, thermal underwear bottoms in winter
  • Extra pair of socks and underwear
  • SOL Escape Emergency Bivvy
  • Fire starting materials
  • Sunscreen
  • $100 cash
  • Insect repellent
  • Individual Trauma/First Aid Kit
  • Rubberized cut-resistant gloves in summer, rubberized thermal gloves in winter
  • Watch
  • Headlamp
  • Cell phone accessories including portable battery pack
  • Photochromatic safety glasses
  • Reading glasses
  • Leatherman tool
  • Dust masks
  • Water purification tablets (even though I have a filter bottle, much of I-5 is bordered by livestock fields that can contaminate water sources with viruses that have to be killed because they are too small to filter out)
  • Toilet paper and hand sanitizer
  • 550 Paracord
  • 5.11 Covrt18 Backpack
This weighs just 17 lbs. so while I won't be sleeping very comfortably I should be able to move longer distances rather quickly and not need to spend more than one night out. If I go farther than 30 minutes from home, I take another larger pack with more provisions and comfort items. A third bag goes along when I have my family with me.

My basic GHB contains the following:
  • Full Sawyer 34 oz. water bottle with filter insert in Ziploc bag
  • Empty 70 oz. hydration bladder
  • High-calorie food
  • Fleece hat
  • Sun hat
  • Thermal shirt
  • Rain jacket (plus rain pants in winter)
  • Convertible pants in summer, thermal underwear bottoms in winter
  • Extra pair of socks and underwear
  • SOL Escape Emergency Bivvy
  • Fire starting materials
  • Sunscreen
  • $100 cash
  • Insect repellent
  • Individual Trauma/First Aid Kit
  • Rubberized cut-resistant gloves in summer, rubberized thermal gloves in winter
  • Watch
  • Headlamp
  • Cell phone accessories including portable solar battery pack
  • Photochromatic safety glasses
  • Reading glasses
  • Leatherman tool
  • Dust masks
  • Water purification tablets (even though I have a filter bottle, much of I-5 is bordered by livestock fields that can contaminate water sources with viruses that have to be killed because they are too small to filter out)
  • Toilet paper and hand sanitizer
  • 550 Paracord
  • 5.11 Covrt18 Backpack
This weighs just 17 lbs. so while I won't be sleeping very comfortably I should be able to move longer distances rather quickly and not need to spend more than one night out. If I go farther than 30 minutes from home, I take another larger pack with more provisions and comfort items. A third bag goes along when I have my family with me.

you forgot the gun... o_O

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads