JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never much thought of Spokane "safe".
There have always been comparatively dangerous areas of Spokane, but for the most part it's seemed very safe in the downtown core area, where the offices, shopping and restaurants are. It's definitely changed in the last year or two.

I was wondering if I was just over-reacting, and whether it was all just in my head. So I asked The Missus if she thought there were more homeless, crazies, druggies, and general bums there yesterday, and she agreed it's gotten much worse.

Personally, if I were king, I'd establish a transportation fund, and offer free bus tickets to Seattle and Portland to any homeless trash found lying about. I'd throw in a few McDonald's meal coupons (or a sack lunch) and tell them how friendly everyone is in Seattle and Portland, how much warmer the weather is in winter, and how much money they spend caring for the homeless there.

That would clean the streets up measurably within a week, and save the city a pile of tax dollars.

Spokane always seemed pretty sketchy to me even back when I use to visit when I lived in Pullman in the early 90s. Of course, considering Spokane is becoming more anti-gunner over the years like its Antifa Commie cousin city to the West, I can only imagine what Spokane would be like today. It was always a sketchy, gritty and kind of run down blue collar town as I remember it. I use to live in Pullman which was a tiny little redneck town back in the 90s. I even remember watching Spokane news frequently as a kid and it wasn't all that uncommon to hear about crack house busts or gang related shootings even then. Haven't been back there since I left in the 90s, except briefly passing through Moscow, ID which looked like it hadn't changed much since I left. Visiting Spokane was like New York City for me back when I lived in the Palouse. I was rather shocked when I saw people in Spokane vote in favor of I-1639. Not the same Spokane I remember back in the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went downtown yesterday with The Missus and our two big dogs. We had an appointment for one of them at the WSU Animal Eye Clinic.

Because we were on a university campus, I couldn't legally bring my firearm.

Afterwards, we decided to walk downtown to visit a couple stores that welcome dogs. Our dogs are well socialized and we like to give them lots of practice. So we were in the nicer part of town near the Apple Store and RiverPark Square. This was around noon.

I was surprised at the large amount of homeless, drugged out, and shifty people hanging around down there. This was the first time I've felt the need to keep my head on a swivel when in that area. In broad daylight, and even with a couple large dogs, I was on edge. And the dogs were fascinated with every stretch of sidewalk against a wall, from the smell of all the piss and worse (fortunately Spokane still makes an effort to clean its sidewalks).

Never thought of Spokane as a budding sh1thole, but I won't be going downtown again without more protection than a couple friendly dogs.

I would never go into an Apple Store unarmed

Downtown Spokane started to go downhill in 2013 when the police let the "kids" get out of hand.

Downtown Spokane violence 'an epidemic,' man's family says

srx_Bruce_Palmer_.jpg03.jpg

Spokane County voted in favor of i1639

How counties in Washington voted for each ballot initiative

Of course some people still know how to take care of business

Hillyard store owner pulls gun on armed robber

Dr8LSxmW4AAqKXn.jpg

Of course some people still know how to take care of business

Hillyard store owner pulls gun on armed robber

View attachment 520104

Good for him, but judging by the security video of the incident, Mr. Ho should consider keeping that gun cocked, locked and on his person, because it looked like he was trying to work the slide AND point the gun at the same time.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying that prior to the present time Spokane was Disney-safe. It was never perfect.

What I'm saying is that the perception of danger has increased with the homeless, drugged out, crazy, delinquent, and indigent population. Spokane has always had its share of crime in downtown at night, but I'm perceiving an increased risk during the day now as well.

Right off I-90, on Division south from Third to Main, there have been several low-income housing and homeless shelters built around there in the last couple years. That area has become a focal point of crime and violence, especially at night. Now it seems the shelters have attracted more indigents who are spreading out during the day into the good parts of town.

Way to go, Spokane. Like it said in the movie: "Build it, and they will come."

Up to now, going into town during the day armed was, in my mind, optional because the risk spectrum seemed low. No longer.

:rolleyes: From the historical record....

"Spoe-KAN", The name of a NW American city.
Anglicized from an original Aboriginal phrase of the Flathead Dialect, "spowa-CAN" or "Little Latrine". Many Believed this to be a reference to the village's status as a smaller version of the much larger coastal village of Seah-ahh-TULL" or "Big Dung Heap".

To top it off, on the radio this morning came a story about the Spokane City Council deciding to temporarily suspend the "No Sit. No Lay." ordinance that supposedly prevented anyone from sitting or sleeping on sidewalks. They did this in order to "give time for the local shelters to create new space".

Thanks. That will make everything better.

That sound you hear is America swirling down the toilet.

WARNING.

If you built it, more will come.

Aloha, Mark

Went downtown yesterday with The Missus and our two big dogs. We had an appointment for one of them at the WSU Animal Eye Clinic.

Afterwards, we decided to walk downtown to visit a couple stores that welcome dogs. Our dogs are well socialized and we like to give them lots of practice. So we were in the nicer part of town near the Apple Store and RiverPark Square. This was around noon.

I was surprised at the large amount of homeless, drugged out, and shifty people hanging around down there. This was the first time I've felt the need to keep my head on a swivel when in that area. In broad daylight, and even with a couple large dogs, I was on edge. And the dogs were fascinated with every stretch of sidewalk against a wall, from the smell of all the piss and worse (fortunately Spokane still makes an effort to clean its sidewalks).

Never thought of Spokane as a budding sh1thole, but I won't be going downtown again without more protection than a couple friendly dogs.

Burglars are scared of dogs from getting bit and busted. If someone avoids the large dogs it's from experience. and I keep a close eye on them.

Spokane always seemed pretty sketchy to me even back when I use to visit when I lived in Pullman in the early 90s. Of course, considering Spokane is becoming more libtarded over the years like its Antifa Commie cousin city to the West, I can only imagine what Spokane would be like today. It was always a sketchy, gritty and kind of run down blue collar town as I remember it. I use to live in Pullman which was a tiny little redneck town back in the 90s. I even remember watching Spokane news frequently as a kid and it wasn't all that uncommon to hear about crack house busts or gang related shootings even then. Haven't been back there since I left in the 90s, except briefly passing through Moscow, ID which looked like it hadn't changed much since I left. Visiting Spokane was like New York City for me back when I lived in the Palouse. I was rather shocked when I saw people in Spokane vote in favor of I-1639. Not the same Spokane I remember back in the 90s.

The commies probably bussed down all the homeless and give them 10 bucks each to vote in line with the ajenda.

Always felt that way while "in town"... when visiting from Deer Park, and I'm from Portland!

It did seem a lot worse than it was as a kid.
Seems that homeless and yuppies are all that's left in Portland tho.

It's definitely getting worse here. The parks are full of druggies and mental patients.

Below is an account of an encounter I had earlier this year in March

I took my 2 year old daughter to the park and we were kicking our way through the leaves piled up against the outfield fence of a baseball field. We were angling away from the fence towards the kids playground about to cross a soccer field. We are down wind of this guy walking our general direction and it sounds like he is talking loudly on the phone (he was not on the phone.....). He is cursing up a storm and just looks deranged. I'm trying to mind my own business but something is off with this guy. My daughter is walking beside me and I'm trying to split my attention between them. Our paths were about to intersect in maybe 25 yards. His demeanor and speech made me start to angle our path away from him, well away. Plus it's like 'this is a giant field, what are you heading right towards us for?' After we start to veer off he adjusts his path to start walking toward us again. There was no one else on this giant field. Zero reason that our paths needed to cross. I basically slowed to a stop and squared up and started staring at him and he angles away some but he still passes by at a distance of maybe 10 yards. He is intensely proclaiming "they are all a bunch of female dogs" and mumbling about God. I don't recall the God parts right now, wish I could but it was a lot to take in. It was beyond creepy, this guy was plainly insane. The main parts of his tirade that made me pay serious attention was when he said "I'll cut them up with a hacksaw." He also said he had buried people alive and would/could do it again. My wording is not 100% but damn close. And he said both of those things more than once. I didn't mistake what he was saying.

The whole thing freaked me out a bit. The park is on the same plot of land as an Elementary School and I totally blanked that it was Saturday (no school). As he rounded the fence HEADED TOWARDS THE SCHOOL and got out of earshot I called 911 and gave them a heads up about this guy. And for a visual imagine this guy was wearing white and black speckled parachute pants and an olive drab overcoat :confused:

We did an abbreviated play session at the park. I warned a few of the children's parents to keep watch for this guy, then decided I'd had enough of wondering where the crazy had gone off to and it was time for us to go. We started heading home and while crossing the soccer field I saw a few officers conversing at their patrol vehicles. I went over and chatted one up and he said the guy I called about "was known to them." When questioned the psychopath said he was just talking about computer hacking.

Sure you were o_O

The officer I spoke to told me that it was not uncommon to question these people and they will all of a sudden become perfectly coherent. He said even if they were to take him in he'd be out in an hour.

He asked, "you carrying?"
"Yep"
"Good"

There was a couple seconds there where I thought the mental patient/psycho killer was going to attack us. I am about positive if I had said anything to him it would have set him off. You know when a normal-ish person swears around your kids you might ask them to watch their language? Yeah, I barely even contemplated it. I just wanted him to keep on moving on. He was eyeing me sideways as I was staring at him. Eyeing me while talking about hacking people up? Not an occurrence I'm used to. Not even a little bit. I spotted him sitting on a swingset in a different part of the park as we left. I didn't know he was still there. He probably saw me talking to the officer........I took a circuitous way home and kept a sharp eye on our back trail.

This sort of thing is now somewhat of a regular occurrence around here. Thank you to the officers out there that have to deal with these people. The mental health situation we have in this country is less than desirable. I can't wait to move out of this area.

Last Edited:
I agree that Spokane has never been a safe place, a lot of young people were looking for trouble in that town. I was always vigilant and pretty fast on my feet. I never had any real trouble with anybody. I used to cover some distances late at night. I had a girlfriend who lived in Hillyard and I would take my skateboard to her house and then ride out to my neighborhood in Ponderosa off Dishman-Mica road, because I stayed there later than the busses would run. I rode my bike all over Spokane too (no internet) so social networking happened with bikes, boards, busses and occasionally a ride from someone. The town got a lot safer for me once I got my drivers license, a car and a job.

Does it compare to this

To top it off, on the radio this morning came a story about the Spokane City Council deciding to temporarily suspend the "No Sit. No Lay." ordinance that supposedly prevented anyone from sitting or sleeping on sidewalks. They did this in order to "give time for the local shelters to create new space".

That sound you here is the dinner bell. We are on their menu :(

Ring the dinner bell.........Spokane

"No sit. No lay". That's no solution. These people are very resolute to survive these conditions but its proof there is some type of work for them. Even if it's cleaning up the mess they've made. I know few people who were either in a car wreck or PTSD who can't do 5 days 40hrs but there's stuff they can do.

Encouraging Americans to live like this while calling yourself a problem solver or leader is laughable. Voting these same people in repeatedly is actually more ridiculous.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews