JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not saying that no kids have ever successfully followed their parents' gun safety rules. But kids do sometimes break parents' rules and I am not gambling their lives on them not making mistakes or finding something. That's the policy I've made for my household. If the gun is not strapped to my body it is locked up.

This is not about what is "reasonable" for the government to do, it is about protecting a child, and it is a good question for a new gun owner to ask. You know what is not reasonable? Another story in the news about a 5 year old that shot his sister because an idiot gun owner did not take precautions. That is also by the way how we get unreasonable storage laws. If more new gun owners asked this question, listened to good advice and took some basic precautions we would have a lot fewer unreasonable laws.

If you have very young kids it is ABSOLUTLY reasonable for a new gun owner to ask what other people with more experiance have found works.

Perhaps......"ABSOLUTELY reasonable" (as you say) for a new gun owner because you........

You_cant_handle.jpg

Dude....take the responsibility to do what's RIGHT for your own home/household. YES.....I suspect that you already knew....what the answer was.....before you even asked. But of course.....I have NO PROOF of your intent. So....choose wisely grasshopper.

IMHO.....
Do-it-for-the-kids.jpg
and
wwf2ag.jpg

Well, these old arguments have been used too many times in this gun debate to justify new legislation.

If you own a gun.....I figure that you can probably make some adult decisions for yourself. If you can't. Well......there you are.

Know_Your_Limitations.png

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Yup....I screwed up....I confused you (Gbrik) and the OP when posting the above. Anyway....I guess that you and the OP can figure it out.

Last Edited:
Perhaps......"ABSOLUTELY reasonable" (as you say) for a new gun owner because you........

View attachment 822458

Dude....take the responsibility to do what's RIGHT for your own home/household. YES.....I suspect that you already knew....what the answer was.....before you even asked. But of course.....I have NO PROOF of your intent. So....choose wisely grasshopper.

IMHO.....
View attachment 822459
and
View attachment 822460

Well, these old arguments have been used too many times in this gun debate to justify new legislation.

If you own a gun.....I figure that you can probably make some adult decisions for yourself. If you can't. Well......there you are.

View attachment 822461

Aloha, Mark

Where do you think he should have asked this question? Your reaction to a reasonable question asked in a polite way is why non-gun people and new gun owners hate this site.

Where do you think he should have asked this question? Your reaction to a reasonable question asked in a polite way is why non-gun people and new gun owners hate this site.

I suspect that he already knew of the alternatives available to him before he even asked the question here. Additionally, I figure that he is an adult and probably he (or his spouse) had thought about this question, even before he made the purchase of the firearm.

Aloha, Mark

PS....Absolutely reasonable.......to buy a gun first. And later, think about gun safety in your home?
Or
Should it be the other way around (or at least somewhat simultaneously)?

Last Edited:
Before you purchase the bio lockbox, try to test it out, especially if your fingertips may be calloused from hands-on work, etc

Yes, many biometric items on the market are temperamental. My wife and son both stopping using that feature to unlock their phones as it was functional some of the time. Apple even came out with a story admitting the technology (used in their phones) was problematic and then stopped using the fingerprint analyzing feature in their new phones altogether.

When my son was 7 or 8 I started hiding unloaded (make sure they're unloaded, then make sure two more times) guns around the house.

Heres the deal: I taught him early what the rules were:

1. If you see a gun don't touch it.

2. Don't let anyone else touch it (wanna see my dad's gun? It's the other kid who gets killed, every time).

3. Find a grownup and tell them.

4. If a kid does touch the gun, get out of the house and I mean right now.

So I'd hide handguns and see what he'd do. Proper praise and reward follows. He never failed the test, not once. He also knew that any time he wanted, I'd bring out any gun he wanted, and he could handle it. Even better, fetch eye and ear protection and we'll shoot pop cans in the back yard.

Take away the novelty. Impress the importance of the Four Rules Which Will ALWAYS Be Obeyed.

Until you do this get one of those small locking safes and keep the key where he can't get it.

P

When my son was 7 or 8 I started hiding unloaded (make sure they're unloaded, then make sure two more times) guns around the house.

Heres the deal: I taught him early what the rules were:

1. If you see a gun don't touch it.

2. Don't let anyone else touch it (wanna see my dad's gun? It's the other kid who gets killed, every time).

3. Find a grownup and tell them.

4. If a kid does touch the gun, get out of the house and I mean right now.

So I'd hide handguns and see what he'd do. Proper praise and reward follows. He never failed the test, not once. He also knew that any time he wanted, I'd bring out any gun he wanted, and he could handle it. Even better, fetch eye and ear protection and we'll shoot pop cans in the back yard.

Take away the novelty. Impress the importance of the Four Rules Which Will ALWAYS Be Obeyed.

Until you do this get one of those small locking safes and keep the key where he can't get it.

P
Best way is just to keep the gun in "crusier ready" configuration. That is, loaded mag without a round in the chamber. Kids have a hard time chambering rounds.
Nice, I really like your 4 gun safety rules for kids. As of this evening, we have decided to keep it unloaded and in the box until we have bought some sort of gun box with a working lock (still unsure if it's going to be electric or not). I mentioned in the original post that my son is only 1, so I don't think he will be able to chamber my CZ 75B for a long time... let alone pull the double action trigger. When he is old enough to understand me, I'll teach him those rules along with the traditional "treat, never, keep, keep". Thanks for your advice.

Best method is for it to just stay on your person. Other than that:

I might consider high shelves inaccessible to small children or concealment methods and would leave it unchambered.

Also not making the subject taboo helps. I remember seeing firearms my entire growing up, but because I could access them any time I wanted (with supervision) they just weren't very interesting compared to legos, video games, etc.

The other factor you have to address is the "friends coming over" who may not have the same raising as your child.

Ever child is different my son was fully safe around firearms by age 4 and a shooter at 5. At age 4 he chewed out a guy who picked up a 1911 off the gun show table next to our table cause the guy picked it up pulled the hammer back and dry fired it at the ceiling. My so gave him bubblegum for not being safe and not checking the chamber when he picked up the pistol. The guy told me to keep control of my son. The table holder who had been helping someone else came over took the pistol away from the bubblegum and told him to leave. Then took my son over and bought him an ice cream cone. My son was shooting handguns and .22's at age five. Teach them young teach them often and you don't have to worry.

Nice, I really like your 4 gun safety rules for kids. As of this evening, we have decided to keep it unloaded and in the box until we have bought some sort of gun box with a working lock (still unsure if it's going to be electric or not). I mentioned in the original post that my son is only 1, so I don't think he will be able to chamber my CZ 75B for a long time... let alone pull the double action trigger. When he is old enough to understand me, I'll teach him those rules along with the traditional "treat, never, keep, keep". Thanks for your advice.

I hate the "treat" lesson. It's crap.

I taught my boy that every firearm IS loaded until YOU know it isn't. I think there's an important distinction, especially among young shooters, between "treat as if" and "is." It's easy to cheat on "treat as if," because it might not be loaded. Not so much on "is."

One other handy lesson, I did this when I taught my stepdaughter to shoot. I shook up a can of warm Pepsi, then shot the can with a .22. Of course soda went everywhere and the can was shredded. I had Krista pick up the can and look at it carefully. If that little bullet can do that to a metal can, I told her, what could it do to you, or me? That's why we are so careful.

P

I'm a first time gun owner and I want to keep my pistol ready for a home defense situation. I have a young child and don't want to have him accidentally get ahold of it before I have taken the time to teach him gun safety (he is only 1 now). I don't want to sacrifice too much accessibility for safety, but I would never forgive myself if I allowed my child to get hurt because of my carelessness.

What tips or tricks do you guys use to SAFELY keep your weapon accessible to you in the bedroom or throughout the house? Pictures of your setup would be great.

One thing to consider is if you ever decide to travel with your gun, you can get a lock box that works as well at home and in the car.
Ive been meaning to upgrade my simple lock boxes to one of these Vaultek. They are not biometric but they are electronic entry so still very fast access and no worries about fingerprint issues. Link to the 2.0 model but they have smaller ones if your gun is smaller or sub compact.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top