JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a first time gun owner and I want to keep my pistol ready for a home defense situation. I have a young child and don't want to have him accidentally get ahold of it before I have taken the time to teach him gun safety (he is only 1 now). I don't want to sacrifice too much accessibility for safety, but I would never forgive myself if I allowed my child to get hurt because of my carelessness.

What tips or tricks do you guys use to SAFELY keep your weapon accessible to you in the bedroom or throughout the house? Pictures of your setup would be great.

Weighs about 30 pounds. 3/16" steel. Opens with fingerprint, code, or key.

When my son was 7 or 8 I started hiding unloaded (make sure they're unloaded, then make sure two more times) guns around the house.

Heres the deal: I taught him early what the rules were:

1. If you see a gun don't touch it.

2. Don't let anyone else touch it (wanna see my dad's gun? It's the other kid who gets killed, every time).

3. Find a grownup and tell them.

4. If a kid does touch the gun, get out of the house and I mean right now.

So I'd hide handguns and see what he'd do. Proper praise and reward follows. He never failed the test, not once. He also knew that any time he wanted, I'd bring out any gun he wanted, and he could handle it. Even better, fetch eye and ear protection and we'll shoot pop cans in the back yard.

Take away the novelty. Impress the importance of the Four Rules Which Will ALWAYS Be Obeyed.

Until you do this get one of those small locking safes and keep the key where he can't get it.

P

Wow, that's a very thoughtful (and 100% safe) method for teaching. Definitely using this in the future.

Sorry, but I don't like these kinds of threads.
I don't like giving THEM any leeway into what I could/might say is "reasonable".
I'll finish by saying,

"How YOU end up doing it for your home, is your business".

Huh? BEWARE.

Taken from: 2020 Democratic Party Platform PDF

Aloha, Mark

PS.....it seems that recently there has been many new people on the forums.......just "TESTING THE WATERS".

This (and all his other posts in this thread) are why gun owners are a dying breed. Gun owners need to stop being so goddamn paranoid and start welcoming new people to the group. I like guns (among other things I have a suppressed SBR AR15, so you know I'm kinda into it), and I hate going to gun stores and even some ranges because of the elitist, partisan, paranoid, rude, pricks that frequent those places. The only store or range that I've truly felt welcomed was Curt's. You want to protect the second amendment? Start with the attitude toward new people.

The only thing giving the gun control movement leeway into what anyone can say is "reasonable" is when they read about some kid in the news who found their parents gun and killed himself or his sibling.

Anytime someone tells a new gun owner to not secure their gun from their kids and "simply" teach them not to touch... they are giving the gun control movement cause to define for everyone what "reasonable" storage options are in everyone's home. Nobody here knows the home and parenting situation in other gun owners homes to tell them how to teach their kids.

I applaud the OP for being responsible and asking how to secure his gun around his kids.

This (and all his other posts in this thread) are why gun owners are a dying breed. Gun owners need to stop being so goddamn paranoid and start welcoming new people to the group. I like guns (among other things I have a suppressed SBR AR15, so you know I'm kinda into it), and I hate going to gun stores and even some ranges because of the elitist, partisan, paranoid, rude, pricks that frequent those places. The only store or range that I've truly felt welcomed was Curt's. You want to protect the second amendment? Start with the attitude toward new people.

I reserve the right to pick and choose who I want to associate with. LOL.

And by that same token....you can pick and choose whom you wish to associate with.

It's clear (to me at least, in my regular course of the day) that I don't use/choose to use.....
Such insulting name-calling language to get my points across. Maybe, someone just didn't teach you right? But whatever.....you can just keep being you.

I don't need to demand change from others.......or to end up with name-calling and insults......to a group or individual(s).

Humm.....THIS could just be the reason(s) why......some of the old guards doesn't like some of the new guards? Rrrrright......the old guard will normally respect the fact that others can have a differing opinion. And if a disagreement should occur......they don't resort to personal insults and name-calling (well not the ones that I stick around with anyway).

Sorry that....I assumed.....that you were "new guard." Maybe you are or maybe you're not. But, whatever.....the point is there.

And you don't need to go there about....."some people". It's always a factor (especially, when speaking about groups of people).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BTW, I like going to Curt's. And my son (he also likes SBRs) also likes going to Curt's. So at least we agree on that point.

LOL.....
This (and all his other posts in this thread) are why gun owners are a dying breed.

and continuing...

I hate going to gun stores and even some ranges because of the elitist, partisan, paranoid, rude, pricks that frequent those places.
Yeah....thinly disguised personal insult/attack noted.:D Especially, since the entire post started with a quote from me.

Last Edited:
I don't have kids in the house anymore, but if I did I'd probably look for one of those handgun safes that are biometric. Put your finger/thumb on it and it opens. I wouldn't want to try to remember a code when I'm awoken in the middle of the night and groggy. Just my two cents. Lots of smart folks here that should have good ideas.

IDK, yours is only the third post I've read in this thread.

My first impression of the biometric safe is one of concern. What is the failure rate of such electronics/digital operation? I think most of us are against requiring SMART GUNS that will only operate if the electronics are satisfied... due to concern over a possible failure in a dire situation. This type of safe is the same thing for me. I would much prefer the simple finger operated push button code (even out of a deep sleep, I think I would have the muscle memory to do a 1, 3, 2, finger push or whatever they take to operate).

My other concern with that particular safe is the light that comes on... can it be set to stay off??? I sure as heck do NOT want a light coming on when some creep is standing my bedroom doorway or wherever else they could see the light come on. YIKES!!!

Just a few thoughts out loud.

IDK, yours is only the third post I've read in this thread.

My first impression of the biometric safe is one of concern. What is the failure rate of such electronics/digital operation? I think most of us are against requiring SMART GUNS that will only operate if the electronics are satisfied... due to concern over a possible failure in a dire situation. This type of safe is the same thing for me. I would much prefer the simple finger operated push button code (even out of a deep sleep, I think I would have the muscle memory to do a 1, 3, 2, finger push or whatever they take to operate).

My other concern with that particular safe is the light that comes on... can it be set to stay off??? I sure as heck do NOT want a light coming on when some creep is standing my bedroom doorway or wherever else they could see the light come on. YIKES!!!

Just a few thoughts out loud.
I haven't used one and I am 100% anti smart gun. I looked and researched them for a while for my vehicle and ultimately just have a hidden magnet now. I have no kids at home so I keep my HD gun slid between the mattress/box spring so I can slip my arm down and grab it without much effort. I think the little biometrics are used quite a bit though and from what I read, you can turn off the beeps/light. As far as failure rate, that's a good question. From reviews, it seems the high end ones do pretty good, but the cheap Chinese knock-offs can be problematic. For less than $100 I'd definitely give it a shot if I had kids at home, along with a good education on firearm safety. Work the chit out of it for a month and if there's any issues or concerns with operation, send it back. Amazon/Costco/Walmart have pretty good return policies.

I haven't used one and I am 100% anti smart gun. I looked and researched them for a while for my vehicle and ultimately just have a hidden magnet now. I have no kids at home so I keep my HD gun slid between the mattress/box spring so I can slip my arm down and grab it without much effort. I think the little biometrics are used quite a bit though and from what I read, you can turn off the beeps/light. As far as failure rate, that's a good question. From reviews, it seems the high end ones do pretty good, but the cheap Chinese knock-offs can be problematic. For less than $100 I'd definitely give it a shot if I had kids at home, along with a good education on firearm safety. Work the chit out of it for a month and if there's any issues or concerns with operation, send it back. Amazon/Costco/Walmart have pretty good return policies.

Thx for the info.

But biometric remains a concern. I wouldn't be willing to give it a try. Just my thinking on it.

I don't have kids in my house, and great-grandkids never come over, so I have guns all over the house in strategic places. Guns that are not part of my HD strategy, I keep in the big gun safe. My oldest brother found out I had so many guns and asked me what I was worried about..... I told him not a dam thing. I am well armed so I don't have to worry. ;)

After seeing how terribly the fingerprint scanner worked on my last iPhone I won't rely on biometrics for any self defense equipment.

When I did home inspections, one category was "life safety" equipment that must be working properly. Your post reminded me of my SCUBA days. I was thinking how all the life support items are purely mechanical, not electronic. Tho I think that advent of electronic and computerized gauges was a good thing, the tank/regulator/octopus/BC are all simple physical items.

I reserve the right to pick and choose who I want to associate with. LOL.

And by that same token....you can pick and choose whom you wish to associate with.

It's clear (to me at least, in my regular course of the day) that I don't use/choose to use.....
Such insulting name-calling language to get my points across. Maybe, someone just didn't teach you right? But whatever.....you can just keep being you.

I don't need to demand change from others.......or to end up with name-calling and insults......to a group or individual(s).

Humm.....THIS could just be the reason(s) why......some of the old guards doesn't like some of the new guards? Rrrrright......the old guard will normally respect the fact that others can have a differing opinion. And if a disagreement should occur......they don't resort to personal insults and name-calling (well not the ones that I stick around with anyway).

Sorry that....I assumed.....that you were "new guard." Maybe you are or maybe you're not. But, whatever.....the point is there.

And you don't need to go there about....."some people". It's always a factor (especially, when speaking about groups of people).

Aloha, Mark

PS.....BTW, I like going to Curt's. And my son (he also likes SBRs) also likes going to Curt's. So at least we agree on that point.

LOL.....

Yeah....thinly disguised personal insult/attack noted.:D Especially, since the entire post started with a quote from me.

3k3z35.jpg

I taught my boy that every firearm IS loaded until YOU know it isn't. I think there's an important distinction, especially among young shooters, between "treat as if" and "is." It's easy to cheat on "treat as if," because it might not be loaded. Not so much on "is."
No offense intended, but my logical brain has a problem with this. I've always had a problem with "it's loaded until you prove it isn't", because it's not factually true. I teach my kids to always assume a gun is loaded, until they check. Assuming is one thing, but telling them it absolutely is loaded when you don't know can be confusing to children who often take things very literally.

Personally I think this is a good thread, and an excellent question for a new gun owner to ask. Personally I'm a bit of a safety extremist. I've been around guns for a long time, and have heard too many horror stories caused by careless gun handling and storage. They're heartbreaking, and if I thought there was a chance my kids might get hurt by one of my guns, I'd pile all my guns in the back yard and burn them. My kids get the safety talk every time we handle a gun or go to the range. I lock up my guns securely, even though I trust my kids with guns. Kids simply don't have the judgment of an adult, and occasionally have friends over who may not know gun safety. I also had several guns stolen in the past- never again.

I know this is sacrilege to many here, but I don't carry all the time, and don't have a loaded gun at arm's reach every second of the day. That's a personal choice for various reasons, and not any kind of judgment against those who do. Whatever you do for safety, you need to make it an ingrained habit, or it will fail at some point.

As to kids not being able to manipulate a slide to chamber a round, I found out a long time ago to never underestimate a child's ingenuity and determination. A very long time ago, I was in my late teens and still living with my folks. They had company over with young kids. I had my old Ruger Standard .22 on my bedside table in my room, and these kids liked to come in my room to play video games on my Commodore computer (yes, we had video games back in the '80s).

I had just been tinkering with the Ruger, and knew it was unloaded. I was just getting ready to put it up when this little guy, maybe 7 or 8 years old, saw it and grabbed it. Knowing it was unloaded, I decided to wait and watch for a minute to see what he'd do. Of course the first thing he does is pull the trigger, then he tried to pull the bolt back. He wasn't strong enough, but then he hooked the back of the slide on the side of the table and used his body weight to pull it back, then started swinging it around with his finger on the trigger! I instantly took it away, but I sure learned something about kids. Had the magazine been loaded, it could have been tragic.

After seeing how terribly the fingerprint scanner worked on my last iPhone I won't rely on biometrics for any self defense equipment.

You quickly discover the limits of this glamor tech lock when you're sweaty, hands wet, cold body temp....and like I mentioned earlier, calloused or dirty fingers. You'll wish your lock had a back up unlocking feature

I'm a first time gun owner and I want to keep my pistol ready for a home defense situation. I have a young child and don't want to have him accidentally get ahold of it before I have taken the time to teach him gun safety (he is only 1 now). I don't want to sacrifice too much accessibility for safety, but I would never forgive myself if I allowed my child to get hurt because of my carelessness.

What tips or tricks do you guys use to SAFELY keep your weapon accessible to you in the bedroom or throughout the house? Pictures of your setup would be great.
As others have said, biometric or combo handgun safe is a great way to go for just a single handgun. Many of the biometric handgun safes also have a combination so u have the option of both.

No offense intended, but my logical brain has a problem with this. I've always had a problem with "it's loaded until you prove it isn't", because it's not factually true. I teach my kids to always assume a gun is loaded, until they check. Assuming is one thing, but telling them it absolutely is loaded when you don't know can be confusing to children who often take things very literally.

In full context, the lesson is to handle all guns as if they were loaded. This is regardless if they actually are or not.

This is rule 1 of the basic 4 safety rules that have been taught for years now.

Some years back I worked with a guy who didn't care for guns. He was an arrogant sort who always knew better than you, and didn't like the idea of common people having unhindered access to weapons, you know, for the kids...

One day we were talking and he let me know that he actually did have a gun in his house. He had a buddy that bought a .45, but couldn't keep it in his own house for whatever reason, so he kept it for his buddy.

He had a young son of his own, but said don't worry, that gun is well hidden in the back of his closet where he'd never find it, and his son knows nothing about it. He didn't like it when I told him that's the worst thing you can do. Kids are inherently snoopy and very clever, and that's an accident waiting to happen.

In full context, the lesson is to handle all guns as if they were loaded. This is regardless if they actually are or not.

This is rule 1 of the basic 4 safety rules that have been taught for years now.
This is true, and I completely agree. My only issue was with wording. Whether you say treat them as if loaded, assume they're loaded, or they ARE loaded, the message gets through. My point was just that for literal minded children, saying it IS when you actually mean ASSUME it is, can be confusing. An adult will understand the emphasis, but a child might not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top