JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking for a Simplex pistol safe for a Taurus 856 Defender revolver. It would sit 'on top' of a shelf. This would be for home defense.

I'm looking for something with the following criteria:
  • Has a simplex lock (no batteries)
  • Front opening (ideally lid flips down)

I bought this v-line Desk Mate with a special rack that helps it sit higher, and I realized I could just get a larger safe instead. It works, just not a fan of the 'tray' and size after adding the stand. I'm really looking for something else. It takes too long to get my hand on the revolver and thinking something 'taller' would remove the need for a tray and just put your hand in the safe to grab it.
  • 1672209593193.png
  • https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T2C7Z...olid=3AGFLC00EGJI7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is another option, but it opens to the side (ideally this tall though). I'll probably buy this one, if I can't find an open 'down' model:

Something like this, but not battery operated (as shown in the picture)

I'm open to suggestions and more.

I've even considered some hidden furniture options (but need locking).

Last Edited:
Curious as to why you have an aversion to batteries? I have a couple GunVault safes that use 9v battery and can also be plugged into outlet. The 9v battery can simply be changed once per year (do it with my smoke detectors). The fingertip buttons (can program up to 6 button combinations) work excellent for quick access in the dark and there is a dimpled key for backup access. I like these as when the front pops down, there is a tray that slides out (on my newer model) giving excellent access to the gun located within.

Curious as to why you have an aversion to batteries? I have a couple GunVault safes that use 9v battery and can also be plugged into outlet. The 9v battery can simply be changed once per year (do it with my smoke detectors). The fingertip buttons (can program up to 6 button combinations) work excellent for quick access in the dark and there is a dimpled key for backup access. I like these as when the front pops down, there is a tray that slides out (on my newer model) giving excellent access to the gun located within.

Thanks for the idea. That's a VERY nice safe. Mainly just concerned the battery could corrode early, drain early, forget to replace, etc. I feel it offers closer to 0% chance of failure.

Also, I've got other simplex boxes and it's easier to have consistency.

Last Edited:

Last Edited:
Curious as to why you have an aversion to batteries?
Story time. Friends of mine had their break in alarm go off in the middle of the night. Each of them (husband & wife) reached to get their guns from their electronic nightstand safes. BOTH failed and they were gun less. This was in the last year. I have had over 30 Duracell batteries explode in devices (I NEVER use the brand now but have maintained equipment for others and nearly all of these were withing their marked life and not stored under poor conditions. One of my safe locks died this year as well and that was nearly three weeks without access. Moving to dial locks on my new gear. My one Simplex safe that is 20 years old has always been reliable.

My in-vehicle safes with batteries die all the time in winter (key back up which I carry). Lithium batteries help but most safe companies say not to use lithium as it messes up the lock system, not helpful. Now I just buy key locks for the cars, Simplex would be another good option.

Good, legitimate question, and this is my personal aversion to batteries and electronics.

I have this pistol safe from Fort Knox. It will hold two fullsize pistols, a spare mag for each, and a small to midsize flashlight.

It's heavy, and you can program in your own code (so long as it meets their minimum requirement/pattern).

Recommended.

Thanks, looking at this one (since I am not finding a taller one with drop down open). Quite a few reviews claimed Fort Knox's simplex buttons were sloppy and not sharp like my v-line or AmSec. Just wondering if yours was that way, or solid (and they're just whining)
1672254431833.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads