JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went downtown yesterday with The Missus and our two big dogs. We had an appointment for one of them at the WSU Animal Eye Clinic.

Because we were on a university campus, I couldn't legally bring my firearm.

Afterwards, we decided to walk downtown to visit a couple stores that welcome dogs. Our dogs are well socialized and we like to give them lots of practice. So we were in the nicer part of town near the Apple Store and RiverPark Square. This was around noon.

I was surprised at the large amount of homeless, drugged out, and shifty people hanging around down there. This was the first time I've felt the need to keep my head on a swivel when in that area. In broad daylight, and even with a couple large dogs, I was on edge. And the dogs were fascinated with every stretch of sidewalk against a wall, from the smell of all the piss and worse (fortunately Spokane still makes an effort to clean its sidewalks).

Never thought of Spokane as a budding sh1thole, but I won't be going downtown again without more protection than a couple friendly dogs.

I was born and raised over there. Born at Deaconess hospital. I went to school at LC. Lived up on the south hill on 29th by Lincoln Hieghts. This was late 70's and early 80's. Spokane has always had there share of transients. Because of the rail road running through town. But you are right. They never hung out downtown. You never saw them in Riverfront Park. In fact about the only time you saw them was around the tracks on the west side of town. Brown's Addition. The entire west coast of America has this homeless cancer. In my 57 years, I have never seen the amount of homeless I see today. I heard some stats the other day. Less than 10% of the homeless are out there because of economic reasons. Not sure about the other percentages, but the rest of the homeless are either mentally disturbed or are out there because of addiction. You can draw your own conclusion on the remaining percentages. When I lived there. The crime was from punks that already lived in town and not the transeints. I still love my home town and always will. It is just sad to see so many people on the streets these days.

As I understand it, the restriction only applies for K-12 schools.

RCW 9.41.280
Possessing dangerous weapons on school facilities—Penalty—Exceptions.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

I've carried on University campuses before, it's K-12 that you can't legally do so.

To the OP, there's a reason it's called SpoCompton.

In the summer when the fires are burning, it's Smokane.

Only time I have been to Spokane is when I used to travel through going hunting. Its so sad to see small country towns going to sh!t. :(

Yes Seattle is much larger than Spokane. But Spokane is the largest city between Seattle and Miniapolis Minesota. Plus it is just not what you call small cities. It is the large cities also. Everett, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver, Portland even Salem and Grants Pass. Freaking homeless everywhere. Even where I live in Puyallup. We have homeless here also. They seem to be in there 20's.

Last Edited:
We have an office downtown next to the Hell's Angeles joint. I'm from the west side but that's what they called it...LOL
We also call that particular part of town Hookerville. They are trying to clean up that area and make it more upscale, but it's not there yet.

"Hell's Angels" joint? What and where the hell is this? So you live over by Shadle Park?
East Sprague Ave area. Bad part of town, just north of the freeway and east of downtown. Scary.

That part of town has alays been that way. Even back in the early 80's. From there out to Freya st. Don't kid yourself. There is a bunch of bad stuff happening within sight of the court house and jail. West of the court house is a bad neighborhood also.

Last Edited:
I'm saddened that once great, simple and quaint cities of America are becoming dumps, thanks to progressive politics. I guess this is what "fundamentally transforming America" looks like :rolleyes:

Unsafe is just perspective. You guys should try hanging out in Baltimore sometime. :eek:

This is exactly what progressives want.

Why? I have no idea.

Mental health care programs that work, and getting there funding & approval is difficult.

It's easier just to try to blame societal problems on an object & ban it.

It's easier to give junkies a safe space to fix & free needles, than to fix the junkie problem from the get go, which more times than not is a mental health problem.

I was driving from Portland to Modesto where my mom lives. Around Sacramento I typed in a chain restaurant I hadn't been to in years into the GPS. I'm not really familiar with Sacramento but the GPS had me in a really shady part of town. Warehouses, a few ratty hoteks, a lot of homeless and shopping carts. It is California's state capital after all. Turns out GPS isn't always right. Now I was starving and scared. Taco Bell never tasted so good.

To top it off, on the radio this morning came a story about the Spokane City Council deciding to temporarily suspend the "No Sit. No Lay." ordinance that supposedly prevented anyone from sitting or sleeping on sidewalks. They did this in order to "give time for the local shelters to create new space".

Thanks. That will make everything better.

That sound you hear is America swirling down the toilet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top