JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my opinion "treat as if" and "assume" are too easy for a kid to cheat on.

As an extension, I taught him to open the action of every firearm he handles before anything else. This act confirms the status of the firearm. Even if someone says it's unloaded, check. It's an absolute.

And never ever ever hand someone a firearm with a closed bolt/slide/cylinder.

In my opinion "treat as if" and "assume" are too easy for a kid to cheat on.

As an extension, I taught him to open the action of every firearm he handles before anything else. This act confirms the status of the firearm. Even if someone says it's unloaded, check. It's an absolute.

And never ever ever hand someone a firearm with a closed bolt/slide/cylinder.
I understand the point you're making, and don't mean to be argumentative, but I see it a little differently. If you tell a kid that every gun is loaded, yet every time they check it's not loaded, they're going to figure out pretty quick that every gun is not actually loaded, and hopefully at least treat them as if they are. I tell my kids to always assume, and they are exceedingly careful with guns, never touching one without permission, and always checking when handed one.

Younger kids with very literal minds will be confused by being told something that isn't literally true, though I can concede the point that perhaps younger kids might be better off to think that all guns actually are loaded, like a snake that could bite them.

I won't lie to my kids. If I tell them that a gun is loaded, it's because I know for a fact that it IS loaded.

When my kids were young it was easy to put guns in safe, child safe.
My baby is now 41 can't keep him out of safes. he needs to bring my
guns home!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews