JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a first time gun owner and I want to keep my pistol ready for a home defense situation. I have a young child and don't want to have him accidentally get ahold of it before I have taken the time to teach him gun safety (he is only 1 now). I don't want to sacrifice too much accessibility for safety, but I would never forgive myself if I allowed my child to get hurt because of my carelessness.

What tips or tricks do you guys use to SAFELY keep your weapon accessible to you in the bedroom or throughout the house? Pictures of your setup would be great.

I bought one of these and have it my bottom nightstand drawer. I use it daily and it has been very reliable.
Only have had to change the battery once per year. I have it screwed down so it stays put. Not going to prevent it getting stolen, but if it is in the safe I am in the house as I carry the gun when I go out.

Biometric reader works well, and has a key and code bypass.
I keep my carry pistol (Sig P365) in it while still in the holster so it is easy to put it on every morning without taking the gun out of the holster.
There is also a Ruger LCP II with a spare mag in there at the same time for days when I don't want to carry the P365. So I think it would easily hold a single full size gun and a spare mag. I think it was like $99 at Costco a few years ago.

I don't have kids in the house anymore, but if I did I'd probably look for one of those handgun safes that are biometric. Put your finger/thumb on it and it opens. I wouldn't want to try to remember a code when I'm awoken in the middle of the night and groggy. Just my two cents. Lots of smart folks here that should have good ideas.

When I young nephews visiting and they would over I have a carbon fiber lock box that I could bolt to my bed frame. It has a key or a 3 digit combination lock. I would dial the combination and leave the third digit one number lower so that way I could my pistol out very easily. It has a red light to illuminate the combination as well.

D84B2EFF-FBD5-4935-9851-6F81BDD1627C.jpeg

Last Edited:
I bought one of these and have it my bottom nightstand drawer. I use it daily and it has been very reliable.
Only have had to change the battery once per year. I have it screwed down so it stays put. Not going to prevent it getting stolen, but if it is in the safe I am in the house as I carry the gun when I go out.

Biometric reader works well, and has a key and code bypass.
I keep my carry pistol (Sig P365) in it while still in the holster so it is easy to put it on every morning without taking the gun out of the holster.
There is also a Ruger LCP II with a spare mag in there at the same time for days when I don't want to carry the P365. So I think it would easily hold a single full size gun and a spare mag. I think it was like $99 at Costco a few years ago.

A biometric lockbox seems like a great idea. Thank you

Sorry, but I don't like these kinds of threads.
I don't like giving THEM any leeway into what I could/might say is "reasonable".
I'll finish by saying,

"How YOU end up doing it for your home, is your business".

Huh? BEWARE.

Democrats will enact universal background checks, end online sales of guns and ammunition, close dangerous loopholes that currently allow stalkers, abusive partners, and some individuals convicted of assault or battery to buy and possess firearms, and adequately fund the federal 47 background check system. We will close the "Charleston loophole" and prevent individuals who have been convicted of hate crimes from possessing firearms. Democrats will ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high capacity magazines. We will incentivize states to enact licensing requirements for owning firearms and extreme risk protection order laws that allow courts to temporarily remove guns from the possession of those who are a danger to themselves or others. We will pass legislation requiring that guns be safely stored in homes. And Democrats believe that gun companies should be held responsible for their products, just like any other business, and will prioritize repealing the law that shields gun manufacturers from civil liability.

Taken from: 2020 Democratic Party Platform PDF

Aloha, Mark

PS.....it seems that recently there has been many new people on the forums.......just "TESTING THE WATERS".

I have an earlier version of what is picture here. Mine is not biometric but does require a key or a finger combination to open. It lies on top of my night stand and is cabled to the bed frame. This is quite secure from children opening it (yep, I have some) and otherwise a semi-deterrent from theft. They can try to cut the cable if they come prepared to do so or they can disassemble part of my bed or take the bed with them.

1.png

When my lil ones became toddlers, I took my firearms over to my moms house and put them in with hers. When my youngest and I went through hunter safety when he was 13 years old, they came back home. At that point he'd also gotten his cub scout bb gun badge. He knew firearm safety and even how to drive a car. I respect whatever you chose, it's awesome that you are considering what to do. I'd been in the military, but firearm/hunter safety was so worth doing, I'd highly suggest it for anyone to do with their kids. It was a 10 out of 10 experience for us both.

That's what I chose. But the safes have gotten better since then as that was @20 years back. Here's what the pup looked like back then.

Shaun-working-on-rifle-stock-3.jpg

Last Edited:
Sorry, but I don't like these kinds of threads.
I don't like giving THEM any leeway into what I could/might say is "reasonable".
I'll finish by saying,

"How YOU end up doing it for your home, is your business".

Huh? BEWARE.

Taken from: 2020 Democratic Party Platform PDF

Aloha, Mark

PS.....it seems that recently there has been many new people on the forums.......just "TESTING THE WATERS".

This is not about what is "reasonable" for the government to do, it is about protecting a child, and it is a good question for a new gun owner to ask. You know what is not reasonable? Another story in the news about a 5 year old that shot his sister because an idiot gun owner did not take precautions. That is also by the way how we get unreasonable storage laws. If more new gun owners asked this question, listened to good advice and took some basic precautions we would have a lot fewer unreasonable laws.

If you have very young kids it is ABSOLUTLY reasonable for a new gun owner to ask what other people with more experiance have found works.

A biometric lockbox seems like a great idea. Thank you
I don't trust them or anything else electronic with my primary (especially if it is the only) HD weapon(s).

The best method IMO is on your person, if that is not an option I'd stick with something mechanical or well hidden. I have rigged a small closet with a more challenging lock setup.

Best way is just to keep the gun in "crusier ready" configuration. That is, loaded mag without a round in the chamber. Kids have a hard time chambering rounds.

True story, for a while.

The best way to keep them safe is through education and exposure. I grew up with loaded firearms in the home, as did my children, the difference was shooting was a regular thing and with it came the respect it deserves.

I dont feel like a child is going to sneak into my room while im sleeping in the middle of the night to play with my gun so i feel comfortable with it on my night stand while sleeping ( i cary and leave things safty off and empty chamber and train like this so its muscle memory ). I have a nice safe that i trust so my cary piece stays on me as i head to bed i put my carry piece in the safe and pull my home sd piece out and when I wake up and head to the shower i switch them back out so its either in the safe, right next to me as i sleep or on my hip. Safes only work when you use them and one is enough for me and i understand your circumstances might be different.

I don't trust them or anything else electronic with my primary (especially if it is the only) HD weapon(s).

I am with you on this, so I do have a fully mechanical lock box that is pretty fast to access as well. All things working properly the biometric is faster, but the mechanical is a solid box with no batteries. The push buttons can be set with 3 single or double presses, so there are plenty of combinations.

Crappy pictures, but that is a PX4 Storm Compact. I think a full size would easily fit.

IMG_20210207_161917.jpg IMG_20210207_161932.jpg

First rule is educate your children on firearm safety. Any time they are curious or want to see them take the time. This will help to prevent curious hands and fingers from roaming when they are unsupervised

Tactical Trap or other similar shelf. The long one can be placed right above the headboard in your bedroom or under a picture in the living room. The smaller one can go anywhere, even in an ectry way.
1612742992577.png
1612743038960.png

First rule is educate your children on firearm safety. Any time they are curious or want to see them take the time. This will help to prevent curious hands and fingers from roaming when they are unsupervised

Tactical Trap or other similar shelf. The long one can be placed right above the headboard in your bedroom or under a picture in the living room. The smaller one can go anywhere, even in an ectry way.
View attachment 822404
View attachment 822405

I like these too. Falls under the "well hidden" category I mentioned above.

Personally, I've seen my kids find too many hidden innocuous items in my house than to bet their lives on them not finding a loaded gun. I don't support government dictates on storage (the anti gun politicians would mandate a six hour time delay on every safe) but I think gun owners should very carefully think about kids' curiosity and kids' tendency to sometimes violates parents' rules.

With a small child around a lock box is a must. Just remember, kids get into everything, and I do mean everything. So if the gun is not on you then it goes in the lock box. You can get one anywhere, even Costco sells them. Any of them is better than none. Until then, go to any pawn shop or gun shop and ask for a basic cable lock. They will likely give one to you free. Otherwise your sheriff's office will provide you with one.
Teaching gun safety at a young age is always a good idea. But teach boundaries too. For example, your lock box is just as a no-go as a loaded gun.
Be safe, be happy and thanks for checking with us here. I've raised three little hellions around guns and never had one problem.
Also, take a basic gun safety course. You will walk away a better person. Get your concealed permit as well.
Welcome to the forum! :)
There is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to gun safety.

Personally, I've seen my kids find too many hidden innocuous items in my house than to bet their lives on them not finding a loaded gun. I don't support government dictates on storage (the anti gun politicians would mandate a six hour time delay on every safe) but I think gun owners should very carefully think about kids' curiosity and kids' tendency to sometimes violates parents' rules.

That's why I preach education and exposure to children. When I was growing up Dad's guns were all easily accessible, but Dad drilled into our heads that all guns were considered loaded and cocked at all times. We even had to treat our toy guns like they were real. Seven kids no incidents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top