JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is your shtf choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there is a place for all 3. point blank id rather have a shotgun over the other two. if the firefight is 50+ yards, that shotgun is pretty useless and thats where the semi auto shines over the bolt. not if the baddy your fighting is sitting 1k yards on some rooftop, your semi auto is going to be pretty useless and a nice bolt action will be needed, least one with good optics.

only one.. then i'll go with a .308 auto. M1a. if it were only a matter of food pcrocurement, not defense, then probably an old savage 24 rifle/shotgun combo. (my old one was .22 mag over 20ga, my sister has one thats .357 over 20ga) I think your kit should include a good .22 pistol as well..

308 range/power is why I wanted a LR-308B pre Newtown. Now I cannot afford one in the short term. Maybe if full time work comes along. It's a heavy beast but no heavier than an M1. Course I wish I had the Garand I cleaned scores of times in Pensacola in 1981. I have a good 22 pistol, the Ruger Super Single Six in 22 and 22 mag.

Brutus out.

That's a tough call....I would think that my AR would be my go to long gun. Accurate, lightweight, common ammo, I'm proficient with it, I have a lot of spare parts if needed... I could also have a .22LR upper to use for small game. You can take deer pretty easily with a well placed shot with .223. Like said previously, in a SHTF scenario, hunting rules/laws go out the window.
Quote: "Like said previously, in a SHTF scenario, hunting rules/laws go out the window." So will the available game in short order.

I voted bolt because I believe that nothing would be a better SHTF rifle than a bolt 300blk with subs, suppressed, with night optics (that can be used during the day like an N550). Wish I had one.

Remember, during SHTF it is most likely lights out and most of the baddies will be doing their thing at night. Hard to beat a whisper quiet 220g 1000fps bullet, no flash, no bang.

That said, a close second is a bolt (or 10/22, although cycling is a little noisy) for 22lr set up the same way. Preferably 60g - 1:9 twist in the 10/22; standard 38-40g in a bolt. About as loud as a mouse farting.

If people someday are just roaming around shooting at each other, you being able to remain 'invisible' would be a huge tactical advantage. It is pitch black and your 'opponent' might have the nicest AR made, but your little 22 with night optics and silencio wins.

His bang and flash are advertising to every marauder and thug exactly where he is at, you are like a ghost. This is all conjecture and coming from a guy who has never shot someone and hopes he can live the rest of his life w/o having to do just that.

Talking Urban here. Just imo.
Good ideas there. Ive never considered the possible need for a silenced weapon, but you make some very good points.

I start with a rifle that is primarily meant for defense, knowing that most centerfire rifles can also double as a hunting rifle for medium sized game - especially in western Orygun where the usual distance for deer is 100 yards or less. My grandfather hunted with a .30-30 - elk, bear, deer - long before anyone on this forum was born - and he fed his family with wild game and fish (mostly salmon). The 7.62x39 is almost as powerful as the .30-30.

Once I and my family are setup with defensive weapons and ammo, then I look towards firearms more oriented towards hunting. I also look at bolt/lever actions and revolvers in the same calibers as the defensive weapons. If for some reason semis become legally untenable, then I have "more legal" firearms that can use that ammo.

At some point even that may be banned - it is not unheard of in other countries to forbid any civilian firearms in the same calibers as the military or police. I don't think and I hope it won't happen anytime soon though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top