JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Given that GMRS frequenc are in the UHF area, the transmit distance isn't going to be great...so go with as much power allowed and a quality antenna and feed line to get the best performance.

If you're wanting more distance, go with Ham radio on 2 meter. At my location with 50 watts I can talk straight into 40+ repeaters.

South to Bend, east to LaGrande, north to Wenatchee, over into Corvallis and Portland.

Location is key, but you're able to use an amplifier to increase power as well...couple that with a beam antenna, and the distance increases dramatically.
That's pretty impressive distance! I guess once I have a grasp on radios in general, and the GMRS radio I have, then I'll definitely need to dive into HAM.
I seem to recall that smoke signals can get over the mountains….

The old ways are still the best ways. :D
Tried and true! Haha.
They are - probably sometime in 2024. At first it will be just SMS/et. al., then voice, then general 'net access as they go along. Starlink will also be coming out with new consumer antennas, one reportedly is a smallish portable (as in man portable) antenna about the size of a laptop and run on "portable" batteries (probably 12-24V power supply). The small antenna will limit bandwidth, but probably be plenty for general usage.

Of course, once they get the cellular links up and running, a cell phone is much more portable and the battery will last longer. Having cell reception most everywhere will be a boost in comms - as long as it remains up. SMS is quite adequate for SHTF, especially if RCS (along with read receipts - which will be important in a SHTF situation) is supported - texting is preferable.

Starlink is not peer to peer (theoretically it could be, but it isn't, and it likely never will be). Nor would the cellular part be peer to peer. So if the grid goes down, so will Starlink & cellular. But as long as the Starlink base stations are up and the 'net is up, comms will be a lot easier than RF.
I didn't see anything about portable antennas. That would be good to run on that type of supply, like a Jackery generator. That's what I use when boondocking it at night out in the forest. Good point about Starlink still not being peer-to-peer. I would assume those base stations probably take quite a bit of energy to operate? I wonder if they have generators there and how long those would last? It would be like the diesel type generators at cell towers I'd think.

I didn't see anything about portable antennas. That would be good to run on that type of supply, like a Jackery generator. That's what I use when boondocking it at night out in the forest.
It would be about the size/weight of a MacBook. I am not sure about what power it would require. We will need to wait & see. I am probably going to sell one or both of my current dishes. I would like to have a "portable" low power system. Right now I am using TMobile Home Internet and it only requires 5-10 watts.

Good point about Starlink still not being peer-to-peer.
And I doubt they ever will be.

I would assume those base stations probably take quite a bit of energy to operate? I wonder if they have generators there and how long those would last? It would be like the diesel type generators at cell towers I'd think.
They most assuredly have to have some kind of power backup. They are typically located at various internet backbone nodes. There are something like 5+ in the PNW.

Last Edited:
I'm no radio expert but have been playing with both GMRS and HAM since I started riding with a SxS group in Oregon. I don't have a HAM license yet but have been studying for the test but am finding it rather daunting!

Because I don't have the HAM license and tend to follow the law, I haven't transmitted on HAM yet but have done lots of listening on HAM and have used GMRS a lot while riding with the SxS group.

What I've learned is that GMRS is line of sight, which will limit its range, unless you can contact a GMRS repeater – and the repeater is being contacted by another GMRS radio. My experience in the area of the Willamette Valley is that nobody is on GMRS but there are lots of people on HAM frequencies!

Therefore in case of SHTF, you'd better have access to ALL frequencies including HAM. That means two radio's – one for HAM and another for GMRS – except that you should be licensed for both to be legal!

If I had extra time I would go ham radio too. I been using radio for a long time and I know what kind of time is involve with this. I'm not qualified due to my attendees. 2 jobs, I have to take care of my wife and my baby, I have a main hobby which is high fidelity and flying model planes. Now I have to add the arsenal due to whats going on. Just organizing these the right way is like another part time job. And by the way when SHTF, it is good to have a radio but more likely you'll be using more of a line of site transmission and receiving. You will never know if those repeaters will run. So I have to have at least 1 powerful solid analog radio. That is the reason why I'm preparing GMRS and I also have an AM radio that is already proven in time that I was able to transmit very far and hold its own.
But if youre into the hobby and you have a dedicated time for ham and 2 meter. Yes indeed and enjoy!

HAM is growing no doubt.

In just the two years I have been involved I have seen a dramatic increase in both new Technicians and higher level licensees. I recently passed my 'General' and have been messing around on the HF frequencies.

I have occasionally listened in on FRS/GMRS frequencies, and quite frankly have not heard much on them. In all fairness I have NOT given it the time I say do on HAM frequencies but enough to know it is not being used much, at least not around where I live.

There are also not near as many GMRS repeaters as 2 meter/70 CM HAM repeaters. One site shows only 21 statewide in Oregon, and none of them close to me.

With 2 meter I have all the repeaters I can reach and a few of the commonly used simplex frequencies programmed in on my base radio and just let them scan and hear people talk as my radio scans.

Last Edited:
I actually just got home with groceries and I wanna get started of putting up the GMRS base antenna soon. The mobile is really easy for its a laired magnamount. I was thinking about buying another GMRS radio on a good to better category just to leave it in the car. This modile radio I bought last week is twice heavier than my old Cobra 148. I tried this new home JPole. Its amazing standing in the window of our bonus room and the walkie talkie connected to the antenna can hit Mcminville and Canby. I hope I get it running correctly soon.
So much for the extra work, it a good thing that DJ scratch is a big help in supervising.

1701405684923.jpeg

1701405714962.jpeg

Ooops.. I'm going to repost my other updated info on GMRS from a different threading...
I have an excellent setup of CB radio and GMRS. So far I have tried a 57 mile continuous communication with a 25 watt GMRS mobile with Laird antenna to a J-Pole homebase without any repeater. In my setup is its super clear. The laird mobile antenna in one of the best on the go / all around I've used so far. If I crank my radio to 50 watts, I'm pretty sure I can go further which I think this is good enough for a SHTF purpose for GMRS are already populated in so many places including the Northwest. In reality, I have no physical business beyond 500 miles.
As much as I want to and I don't think I can afford to get Ham Radio because I am involve in so many projects and jobs and I know what kind of time is involve in this hobby.
But for someone that wants to go Ham radio, I am not quite sure what are the regulations in using both Ham and GMRS at the same time. All I know, there are radios that cover these frequencies in 1.

I just started using GMRS here in the Rogue Valley.
My buddy has a 25 watt base station at his place up out of azalea near Galesville res. There is no cell or phone up there. We have good signal most of the time going over ELK675 and EP600.

I can hear folks in K FALLS over the Cascades, and certainly all over the Rogue Valley up through grants pass.

As soon as I get my base a bit higher in a few months I'm gonna put my 50 watt home system. Its a new radio and we tried it on the shop. It was hitting clear at a distance. I can easily hit the big repeater from my home to sisters and that's up on a hill.

Ya'll just be advised that Allowable Power Output varies by Frequency...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top