JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is your shtf choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im trying to think of a time (other than ultra long range) when a bolt action would be better than a semi. Even more so if/when SHTF, I would want to be able to throw as much lead downrange as possible.

semi all the way, very versatile, still accurate and powerful but is a trade for long range shots. the beauty is that if you move with more than just yourself, someone can carry the bolt action rifle.

One gun only makes it tough....but I'll be taking a .30-30 Marlin w/peep sight. Adequate power, adequate firepower, adequate range, good ammo availability, easy to carry, light. I don't have any spare parts, that's a minus, but I do have several rifles to cannibalize if necessary.

I like that new mossberg mvp uses ar mags minimal parts that being said once i finally finnish the ar build that i started at the most opertune time after selling my last one because i didnt have good enough forsight into the future it will be an ar!

There's a bit of variability here.... up in the coastal PNW, it's going to be semi-auto all day every day. Your engagement distance is going to max out at a few hundred yards. In the inland deserts, it might be time to start thinking about something that's going to reach out and touch someone, something where the name ends in "magnum".

Lever-action is a good one, the only real problem with it is you're going to be stuck firing last century's ammunition, which defaults to either underpowered smallbore (.38/.357 or .30-30), or over-powered big-bore (.45-70).

Pump is the real wildcard here. Personally, I default to a rifle, I can carry more bullets, I can hit targets further away. However, if circumstances were slightly different (like I lived out on the peninsula, and the forest was insanely dense, vs very dense) I would go pump action 12ga all the way. The only reason why I prefer the semi-auto (AR-15 specifically) is because I have the drop-in .22LR kit, which means I can take small game without turning it inside out.

I've put a lot more food on the table with .22LR and 12ga than I ever have with any centerfire rifle.

I hope I never get hit with one of those underpowered smallbore .30-30's. You know ........the ones available at every single place that sells ammo in America :)
I almost agree with the .22 and 12 ga. idea. I've killed a lot of animals with those too. Small animals. For SHTF if I'm gonna fire a round hopefully it's at a deer or elk. I get a lot more mileage out of one of those than a rabbit.

Defending against 2 legged predators, magnum bolt gun in as large a caliber as feasable. Itsy bitsy bullets sprayed at random in a general area versus a few, well aimed, really big bullets that penetrate everything in their path. I suppose it all depends on how you define firepower. Yep I'll stick with a bolt gun.

for general game almost anything in a small(er) caliber will work.

Semi.

AK-47. A rock and a bootlace is all I need for maintenance. When and if my ammo runs out by then I'll be dead, society will have been rebuilt, Jesus will have returned or I'll have acquired another rifle with ammo while sipping on a PBR and eating a Twinkie.

SF-

So when shtf comes about are you taking a bolt or semi if you can only take one what would it be? Bolt,semi,pump,lever,shot shells,centerfire or rim fire? And why do you choose that weapon?

I plan on carrying what I always carry thCAU1EW0A.jpg

thCAU1EW0A.jpg

If I could have only one gun...my Yugo 24/47 that I had converted to 308 Win. It's 5-round bolt-action with the famous Mauser 98 action.

Open sights...I should get the rear sight converted to a peephole, though.

It's extremely tough and reliable, and more accurate than me.

(Before my milsurp bretheren hyperventilate...yes, I have other brown rifles I preserve as God and Sergei Mosin made them, but this one was redone to be more convenient).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top