JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which is your shtf choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Research the story of Audie Murphy.

Sgt York too, but, what are the odds of any of us doing the same? Pretty slim. Sometimes things just fall into place, both of them expected to die and were probably pretty suprised when they didn't.

Lots of CMH's were awarded posthumously to brave men who didn't beat the odds.

Semi

Personally I would take my AK with me in a SHTF situation over my 10/22. But ammo becomes an issue. If I'm humping it through wooded areas or urban environments, I'm going to need to be light on my feet and carry what I have to. I also have to assume that what I carry on me might be the only ammo I'll have for a long time. A brick of Federal .22LR sounds a whole lot better than five mags of AK ammo. In that case it would be easier to take a 10/22, less weight, *** loads of ammo etc. But if I get into a confrontation with one or multiple people, I'd want that big 7.62x39 round whizzing by their head instead of a .22LR.

That's why is so fun, but so frustrating thinking about your bugout equipment. So many options and so many scenarios.

PTR91.... accurate, 20 round mags, built like a tank, both mine shoot sub moa with 18 inch heavy barrels. Stocks change out with 2 pins if you really want to put a sidefolder on them. Mags are cheap!!!! 5 or 6 bucks each even at panic prices! you can still get the rifle for 1300-1400 right now also!

While I have thought about this a lot, and have discussed it with others, the reality is the best SHTF weapon is what YOU are most comfortable with - Not what is the best, newest, coolest looking or is the most popular. Remember the highest rate of fire usually correlates to the most inaccuracy and greatest usage of ammo. I'll take either my 30-30 Mod 94 or .357 Trapper Winchester as my first choice because I know exactly where each puts it's round every time I pull the trigger. I had to laugh at the guy on Doomsday Preppers who was firing his (AK I think) from the roof of his slowly moving behemoth and was missing about about 90% of his targets (maybe more) and went through more ammo than most could even carry in a true SHFT scenario.

Sgt York too, but, what are the odds of any of us doing the same? Pretty slim. Sometimes things just fall into place, both of them expected to die and were probably pretty suprised when they didn't.

Lots of CMH's were awarded posthumously to brave men who didn't beat the odds.

Both Murphy and York were young and extremely fit. A man who plowed 4 acres with a mule typical walked 24 miles in the process and would do that on a daily basis every season!

Suppose you pick a .22 bolt action rifle or 6 shot revolver....

Suppose certain carnivores can walk/migrate...

I'll stick with and carry the burden of a semi-auto .30 cal with high capacity mags..BTW, these tagged animals were taken in Idaho, not that far from here. It is my belief that similar animals are already on the West side of the Cascades in WA & Oregon.

The animal shelters like to call them "grey fox" before they are released into the woods.

Wolf pic 1.jpg

I'm not convinced by the math; weight vs adrenalin, but I am convinced by my heuristics when it comes to confronting meat-eaters in the woods.

I've been chased by a pack of feral dogs once, it occurred at dusk, and I learned to not be greedy with a whole deer (leave a tax); I quickly ran out of the six rounds of 30 cal I had loaded in the two 3 round rifle magazines, and by the time I covered the 1/3 mile back to the truck, I emptied the two 15 round mags I had with my 9mm handgun.

I'm not convinced that a .22 would of had the same effect as my center-fire cartridges.

We all get to make our choices and live or die by them.

But what good would this topic be without more than one opinion?

Research the story of Audie Murphy.

If that story had ended differently, it would have been called a "last stand".

As I remember it, it was audie murphy on top of a burning tank shooting a 50 cal calling in artillery and air support... seems like a bit more than "determined man with rifle and a little ammo", that description seems a bit more fitting for the people who held out at the alamo :)

Something that takes down into a very small package might be handy. There are a few folks out there (LMT, MGI, Dry-Fire) that make quick change barrel kits for AR rifles. I purchased a kit to build a rifle I could fit inside a box of Cheerios, although I'm still waiting for my barrel and bolt to show up. Authorities were pretty hard on folks carrying rifles during Katrina, endless weapons were confiscated. ARs already break down, but the overall length of the upper only fits in a container of suspicious length unless it is an SBR. Carrying any kind of NFA item seems likely to result in confiscation or arrest no matter how clear your paperwork, in the event of unrest. I don't have experience with 22 caliber conversions, heard that 223 twist rates adversely affect accuracy. If I'm going to carry a gun around, I don't want to be a target of law enforcement authorities.

There's a bit of variability here.... up in the coastal PNW, it's going to be semi-auto all day every day. Your engagement distance is going to max out at a few hundred yards. In the inland deserts, it might be time to start thinking about something that's going to reach out and touch someone, something where the name ends in "magnum".

Lever-action is a good one, the only real problem with it is you're going to be stuck firing last century's ammunition, which defaults to either underpowered smallbore (.38/.357 or .30-30), or over-powered big-bore (.45-70).

Pump is the real wildcard here. Personally, I default to a rifle, I can carry more bullets, I can hit targets further away. However, if circumstances were slightly different (like I lived out on the peninsula, and the forest was insanely dense, vs very dense) I would go pump action 12ga all the way. The only reason why I prefer the semi-auto (AR-15 specifically) is because I have the drop-in .22LR kit, which means I can take small game without turning it inside out.

I've put a lot more food on the table with .22LR and 12ga than I ever have with any centerfire rifle.

If your looking for a lever-action that shoots a round that ends in mag. look at a BLR
7mm rem mag
7mm wsm
325 wsm
300 win. mag
270 wsm
300 wsm
and let us not forget the savage model 99 and the winchester model 88 in .308 & .243

An AR for the rifle and a suppressed Glock 21 just because. If I hade the ability to carry it, there would also be a suppressed, folding stock 10/22.

I offer one should try and take the firearm (or firearms) they are most comfortable with and have the ability to transport. It seems the question as to what's the situation could enters into the question of what you might carry.

If it's short tern tactical issue with rioters, what firearm would you want? If I were close in say an urban area, I might grab my AR (5.56) and Glock .40. With the police. State Patrol and NG around I could always find ammo and another gun if mine failed. If I was farther out in the country with longer distances involved, it would be the AR-10 or M1A and my Glock 21 with a can.

A environmental situation where I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I would probably still grab a .308, but pack my 10.22 with a folding stock and suppressor. The Glock 21 would still be there somewhere at least to start.

Regardless of the gun, or guns, you start out with, wouldn't one want to be comfortable with several kinds. Your primary weapons could break, be lost in an escape or just run out of ammo. I have nothing against an AK, bolt .308 or 30-06, Saiga or whatever the other guy is carrying, or was carrying when he went down. I would be less worried in a survival situation about booby trapped ammo, at least during the beginning period, and more concerned with being able to defend myself.

An AR with a scope. Incredibly easy to maintain, easy to be accurate with, can be precise slow fire, or dump rounds as needed. The scope is more about observation than anything.

I'm curious what people think about carrying a .22 as their only SHTF rifle with the current shortage of .22lr ammo. If the SHTF tomorrow, would you still feel the same? I realize there is still a lot of that ammo in the hands of people out there, but what about the guy who just bought his gun and can't find any ammo for it, or has been putting off buying because $80 for a brick of 500 seems like highway robbery. I'm still going with one of my AR's in .223. As much as I love my AR-10 platform, .308 ammo is heavier which means I can't carry as much. Finding parts and mags would be a challenge too. Not likely to find too many of those post SHTF. At least with and AR, you can scavenge parts and mags to keep yours running if you came across someone who no longer had a need for theirs (use your imagination). Plus, police and military carry them so you may be able to trade for more parts/mags/ammo. Just a thought.

What am I missing here? If it was a real SHTF moment in our lives, wouldn't there be a real possibility that regardless of what firearm you started out with, you might have to change. The only re-supply depots will be a stash you have hidden away, friends you might move in with, bartering with someone you meet, or the spoils of war from someone you beat. I don't think it's realistic to believe you can carry all the ammo you will need forever. I see the logic in at least one of your firearms being the standard caliber for the local law enforcement or military. I think some believe they can just hide out in the mountains somewhere and live off the land. It might get a little crowded in the beginning if everyone tries that.
I want something in the beginning at least that I can use for defense and then maybe something quieter for hunting. Of course at my age, I may just take a beer and a scoped rifle and go sit on my deck overlooking the valley and take long shots from there.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top