JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Quick overview: I have a couple of GMRS radios and I have my GMRS license from the FCC. I'm very new to this type of communication and still needing to learn the basics of GMRS. Like for many on here, it's mostly to be ready for SHTF stuff. I've also used them with a buddy when traveling/convoying in non-cell coverage areas on the way to our destination or when out in my Jeep on a trail. I will be learning more here as I have some time this winter to try some things out. Right now, it's mostly used as FRS/walkie-talkie style communications.

My biggest thing is learning how to use repeaters correctly and learning their range in our area. I've looked at some of the websites, I think RadioReference, to see where some repeaters are. One of things I imagine, in my own real life, where this would come in handy is when I'm just over the pass and need to reach someone when my cell service is non-existent. Whether that's for help or to get an ETA from friends/family who might be on their way from the valley or wherever.

For those of you who use these radios more frequently than I have or know more than I do with these, is it possible to be somewhere just west of Hwy 97, hit a repeater up in the higher elevations (if any), and reach someone in, let's say, Corvallis or Eugene? Heck, can it reach Oakridge from just on the other side of Willamette Pass? That could go for the other side of the valley, too. I know the coast has very spotty cell coverage. Are there repeaters (powerful enough ones) that can reach the valley? Obviously the radios have to be fairly powerful and have a good line of sight to the repeater, but just curious to see if this was at all possible or if anyone has done this before using handhelds or the 50W car bases? Short of using satellite communications, my goal is to be able to reach people at a good distance if I ever needed to over a mountainous area.

Thanks!

I suspect much like 2 meter HAM there will be similar challanges, such as YOUR output power, distance to the repeater and any interference in the way.

For instance I can reach 2 meter repeaters in several areas, including some a fair distance away from me such as Prineville, K-Falls and others as well - but it's it and miss for the Long butter repeater between Bend and Lapine due to Lava Butte in the way!

Also are any of the GMRS repeaters linked?

Here is another list of OR GMRS repeaters but you may have already seen it.

If they are linked like many Ham repeaters are, then reaching one in the network usually means you have reached them all,
This is correct but in actuality not many are linked, at least here in the PNW.

The most well known linked system is the PeakNet system that links many repeaters in WA, OR, CA and some other states.

I routinely talk on this 'net using the PeakNet repeater on Walker Mt. South of me near Crescent.

According to the map, There are 2 repeaters close and covers you. north-west between albany and brownsville. I gotta follow this threading for I'm trying to set up the same on base station.

1700327981424.jpeg

Last Edited:
Here s a Mobile/Base 25 watter. I havent tried this yet but alots of people claiming as an excellent starter with advanced. There are some info and the video that explains well about its repeater capability including the CTCSS assignments.

RADIODDITY DB25-G GMRS MOBILE RADIO | 25W | QUAD WATCH | UHF VHF SCANNING | REPEATER CAPABLE

1700447731074.jpeg

Other Features
210 DCS, 50 CTCSS
BCL (Busy channel Lock)
TOT (Time out timer)
DMTF/Tone burst
Squelch
LCD brightness
NC (Noise reduction)

Specifications
Frequency Range: TX1: 462.5625-462.7125MHz | TX2: 462.550-467.725MHz | RX: 136-174MHz, 400-480MHz
Power: High (25W) / Mid (10W) / Low (5W)
Channel Spacing: 12.5K/25K
Channel Number: 200 channels
Operating Voltage: DC 13.8V±15%
Channel Step: 2.5KHZ / 5KHz/ 6.25KHZ / 10KHz / 12.5KHz / 25KHz
Squelch: Carrier/CTCSS/DCS/5Tone/2Tone/DTMF
Frequency Stability: ±2.5ppm
Operating Temperature: -20°C ~ +60°C
Dimensions(mm): 98 (L) x44 (H) x128 (W)
Weight: 0.45kg (base station)
Antenna Port: SO-239
Need Antenna with Port: PL-259

What's in the box?
1 x Base Station
1 x Microphone
1 x Car Charger Power Cable
1 x Mobile Bracket
1 x Programming Cable
1 x Mic Holder (with 2 screws)
One Fuse & Some Assembly Accessories

Site of GMRS repeaters

Oh yeah, I forgot I had looked at that one before as well!
I suspect much like 2 meter HAM there will be similar challanges, such as YOUR output power, distance to the repeater and any interference in the way.

For instance I can reach 2 meter repeaters in several areas, including some a fair distance away from me such as Prineville, K-Falls and others as well - but it's it and miss for the Long butter repeater between Bend and Lapine due to Lava Butte in the way!

Also are any of the GMRS repeaters linked?

Here is another list of OR GMRS repeaters but you may have already seen it.
RVTECH, thanks! That one I don't believe I have checked out. Again, I have no clue about linked repeaters and really don't know how to go about it besides asking for permission from the repeater owner, if needed, and I know there's something I have to do with tones and such, but that's about all of my knowledge on that.

That sounds good about reaching those cities! I spend a decent amount of time near Silver Lake (stuffing my face at Cowboy Dinner Tree mostly) so while out in the forest just south of there, that could be good to potentially hit those areas!

According to the map, There are 2 repeaters close and covers you. north-west between albany and brownsville. I gotta follow this threading for I'm trying to set up the same on base station.

View attachment 1764943
That's perfect, thanks HiFi! And the recommendations for a powerful base station radio!

This.

If they are linked like many Ham repeaters are, then reaching one in the network usually means you have reached them all, wherever they are - as long as the network is up.

Just from my inexperienced observation/understanding.
I should look into ham and study that along with how to use GMRS more and eventually take that test. That might be the way to go potentially better communications at distance?

I should look into ham and study that
Well, maybe. See if you have any sort of local HAM group/org near where you live and get in touch with them for some info.

I can almost guarantee ya you will get a lot of help and info on getting started.

Take a look at Hamexam.org for info on HAM tests, practice exams & such to get an idea of whats involved.

I should look into ham and study that along with how to use GMRS more and eventually take that test. That might be the way to go potentially better communications at distance?
Amateur Radio has a wider selection of frequencies and modes, plus probably more people involved in the hobby.

Diversity is good. Having FRS/GMRS, CB and Amateur Radio capabilities is good in a grid down scenario because you have a wider spread of information sources you can access.

Amateur Radio has a wider selection of frequencies and modes, plus probably more people involved in the hobby.

Diversity is good. Having FRS/GMRS, CB and Amateur Radio capabilities is good in a grid down scenario because you have a wider spread of information sources you can access.
I saw this video last night. Kind of what you were saying. I dont have any experience with the Anytone radio beside one of the local guys here has a different model and he likes it. What would be your opinion on this one?
Thanks

Well, maybe. See if you have any sort of local HAM group/org near where you live and get in touch with them for some info.

I can almost guarantee ya you will get a lot of help and info on getting started.

Take a look at Hamexam.org for info on HAM tests, practice exams & such to get an idea of whats involved.
That's a good idea, same for GMRS as well. I know a lot of Jeep guys are going to GMRS now, so that could also be something to look into as a "sub group" within the Jeep community. I looked at that link you sent me and looks nice and simple and intuitive. I tried the flashcards just to see what types of questions there were and I'll definitely need one of the books they recommend to learn more first!

Good point on diversity for those types of scenarios. And if it can meet my current goal of being able to reach someone on the other side of the mountains with any of them, then even better.

I do believe I read somewhere that Starlink is partnering with T-Mobile to add satellite capabilities to phones at some point in the future, which would also be one hell of an option to communicate with anyone from anywhere! That's obviously assuming the satellite grid isn't down from a solar storm or whatever! Haha. Hence still a good idea to have the trusty radios!

Given that GMRS frequenc are in the UHF area, the transmit distance isn't going to be great...so go with as much power allowed and a quality antenna and feed line to get the best performance.

If you're wanting more distance, go with Ham radio on 2 meter. At my location with 50 watts I can talk straight into 40+ repeaters.

South to Bend, east to LaGrande, north to Wenatchee, over into Corvallis and Portland.

Location is key, but you're able to use an amplifier to increase power as well...couple that with a beam antenna, and the distance increases dramatically.

Last Edited:
I bought this base antenna and hopefully it'll be enough to hit 3 repeaters around yamhill county. I'm on a high elevation but the north is blocked by the mountain. but south and east is wide open which is around mcmnville, salem, canby, hopewell. Cant wait to set it up when it gets here on Tuesday. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

1700746830587.jpeg 1700747568064.jpeg

Talk about relic of the past. I was digging into my stuffs in the garage and I found my old 148 CB radio, silver eagle desk mic, swr meter and a few more stuffs. I wonder if they still run....
1700749427703.jpeg

I do believe I read somewhere that Starlink is partnering with T-Mobile to add satellite capabilities to phones at some point in the future, which would also be one hell of an option to communicate with anyone from anywhere! That's obviously assuming the satellite grid isn't down from a solar storm or whatever! Haha. Hence still a good idea to have the trusty radios!
They are - probably sometime in 2024. At first it will be just SMS/et. al., then voice, then general 'net access as they go along. Starlink will also be coming out with new consumer antennas, one reportedly is a smallish portable (as in man portable) antenna about the size of a laptop and run on "portable" batteries (probably 12-24V power supply). The small antenna will limit bandwidth, but probably be plenty for general usage.

Of course, once they get the cellular links up and running, a cell phone is much more portable and the battery will last longer. Having cell reception most everywhere will be a boost in comms - as long as it remains up. SMS is quite adequate for SHTF, especially if RCS (along with read receipts - which will be important in a SHTF situation) is supported - texting is preferable.

Starlink is not peer to peer (theoretically it could be, but it isn't, and it likely never will be). Nor would the cellular part be peer to peer. So if the grid goes down, so will Starlink & cellular. But as long as the Starlink base stations are up and the 'net is up, comms will be a lot easier than RF.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top