JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Salem Health has implemented "enhanced security screenings" at all buildings on the Salem Health campus.

"This involves weapons detection screening devices and bag checks," spokesperson Lisa Wood said in a statement. "There will be a multi-phase rollout of enhanced security across all Salem Health Hospitals and Clinics locations."

Wood said that the screenings will be phased in at the West Valley Hospital in Dallas over the next two weeks.

Private businesses have the right to do what they want.

All legacy hospitals have begun to do this as well. Metal detectors/armed security guards/etc.

I just got back from the Dallas hospital, my Grandpa is there. At 92, he took a pretty bad spill and buggered his knee, can't wait to get back out and go fishing again. No security checks whatsoever there. Back to my Gpa, up until two years ago he rode his bicycle all over for exercise and fun and still enjoys shooting.

I just got back from the Dallas hospital, my Grandpa is there. At 92, he took a pretty bad spill and buggered his knee, can't wait to get back out and go fishing again. No security checks whatsoever there. Back to my Gpa, up until two years ago he rode his bicycle all over for exercise and fun and still enjoys shooting.
prayers for a fast recovery!

Thank you, he's the toughest person I know and shouldn't take long. I'm my 43 years of knowing him, this is the first time I've seen him go to the hospital. Including when he lost a finger when I was much younger.
Unfortunately they don't build them like that anymore. Most Kids these days are a bunch of wimps. My grandpa was 85 when he stopped splitting firewood. He finally bought a pellet stove

Private businesses have the right to do what they want.

All legacy hospitals have begun to do this as well. Metal detectors/armed security guards/etc.
St Vinnies started doing that when a patient came in for care at the ER, wasn't satisfied with it, came back a few hours later with a gun, ended up capping himself just outside the ER entrance. Their metal detector is in a vestibule, and I wonder if it can be a man trap at the push of a button.
I'll bet they are concerned about being raided for narcotics.

They made me take my folding pocket knife back to the car.

St Vinnies started doing that when a patient came in for care at the ER, wasn't satisfied with it, came back a few hours later with a gun, ended up capping himself just outside the ER entrance. Their metal detector is in a vestibule, and I wonder if it can be a man trap at the push of a button.

A lot of hospitals are doing this. Probably because there has been a spike in shootings at hospitals.

They put metal detectors and armed security at the entrances of ERs but won't do it at schools…….

Just spent the day Providence in NE Portland. When we got there the hospital was on lockdown because of some crazy homeless guy. They would only let my wife in because she was the one needing service. When the finally let me go in I had to go through the metal detector and it saw my little 2" pocket knife. Security guy said surrender it or take it back to the car. The funny thing is while we were there for 7 hours every homeless person they let in was carrying all their crap.

Just spent the day Providence in NE Portland. When we got there the hospital was on lockdown because of some crazy homeless guy. They would only let my wife in because she was the one needing service. When the finally let me go in I had to go through the metal detector and it saw my little 2" pocket knife. Security guy said surrender it or take it back to the car. The funny thing is while we were there for 7 hours every homeless person they let in was carrying all their crap.
They vote the right way so nothing gets enforced on them.

WE need to start holding these businesses responsible for thier decisions. It is thier right to make the rules as to thier customers on thier property but if they are going to ensure thier customers are unarmed then they should be repsonsible for what ever happens on thier grounds. If an event occurs and they cannot protect thier clintelle they shpuld be sued for negligence at a minimum. If they wont let me protect myself they had better damn welll do it.

Personally I choose to protect myself but I am not the one making the rules.

WE need to start holding these businesses responsible for thier decisions. It is thier right to make the rules as to thier customers on thier property but if they are going to ensure thier customers are unarmed then they should be repsonsible for what ever happens on thier grounds. If an event occurs and they cannot protect thier clintelle they shpuld be sued for negligence at a minimum. If they wont let me protect myself they had better damn welll do it.

Personally I choose to protect myself but I am not the one making the rules.
You and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things but, you are spot on with this. I agree!

Can't say this bothers me much. I know, unpopular opinion. It's private property and they can do as they wish l. Frankly, if I'm in desperate need of a hospital, being armed is likely pretty low on my current list of priorities. It also seems to be a place where desperate, scared and emotional people congregate which may not be the best situation for armed people anyway.

Not to give any would be bad actors any ideas, but.... I bet a hospital parking lot would be a real good place to score some firearms outta cars... and if you want to mug someone... those big parking lots with long distances to cover... anyone walking toward the hospital is most definitely going to be a good target... no guns, no knives or other metal objects that might sting you. 👍

Just sayin.....🤣

1693186908124.png

Maybe a detector will deter someone but I think a lot is theater for the general public. "Oh my, there is a gun detector on one door. My rampage plans have been fouled yet again". 🙄

Also for any metal detector to work as advertised, you need multiple quality and dedicated people to staff it. This is from hospitals currently understaffed for medical workers. It's boring but important work yet TSA is the gold standard of why I am not a believer.

Can't say this bothers me much. I know, unpopular opinion. It's private property and they can do as they wish l. Frankly, if I'm in desperate need of a hospital, being armed is likely pretty low on my current list of priorities. It also seems to be a place where desperate, scared and emotional people congregate which may not be the best situation for armed people anyway.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it really depends on how their security measures are implemented. I have a cousin that works at a hospital that instituted security checks quite awhile back. The flaw though is that they only screen the general public. Anyone with a hospital ID or "has business" with the hospital (IE., food workers, laundry services, maintenance, shop vendors, suppliers, etc) don't have to pass through security screening. The daily volume would impede normal hospital operations.

Visiting a loved one... "you'll" definitely be unarmed, but you won't be entering a "gun free zone" with any guarantees.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top